The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Brake question (hypothetical) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179597)

Henry/Kokomo 10-04-2015 10:34 AM

Brake question (hypothetical)

I'm in the process of building an AV8 and encountered an interference issue between rear wheel cylinder brake lines and rear spring perches. My neighbor - a Corvette guy - suggested rotating the backing plates to alleviate the clearance issue. Can anybody see why this wouldn't work? Is there a reasonable limit to the amount of rotation (90* might be easy)? Looking for opinions or past experiences. Thanks in advance.

mrtexas 10-04-2015 10:40 AM

Re: Brake question (hypothetical)

You can file a groove in the spring perch and shorten the bleeder. Doesn't take much of a groove. It makes bleeding more of a chore but works. Rotating the backing plate also works. Some invert the backing plate but then bleeding is much more difficult.

https://sites.google.com/site/mrtexa...ydraulicbrakes

john in illinois 10-04-2015 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Henry what rear end,backing plate and perches are you using?
I have Ford rear brakes on 39 axle with cut down Model A perches.
My backing plates are about 5* to rear. With a tight bend that worked.

John

Walt Dupont--Me. 10-04-2015 03:53 PM

John, is there a brake line flex hose where the rear lines are hooked to the front of the torque tube? Walt

Talkwrench 10-04-2015 08:23 PM

Indeed Walt ....???

john in illinois 10-05-2015 07:31 AM

Walt ,Yes it has a flex brake hose from the junction to the frame. It is braided stainless and not period correct,but I couldn't find a rubber hose long enough.

John

Henry/Kokomo 10-05-2015 08:57 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. Mrtexas: Notching the spring perch may work. It seems that would be the least work. John in Illinois: Using a '39 rear axle and brakes with a '46 gear set. The spring perches are manufactured by New England Speed & Custom. These bolt to the upper two holes in the axle with Grade 8 bolts. There's plenty of clearance for everything except the brake line, which is tight. One thing I haven't tried was attaching the brake line to the cylinder prior to bolting it to the backing plate . Thanks again for all the input.

john in illinois 10-05-2015 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Henry,I bent my lines right next to the flare nut using Eastwood bending pliers. I clamped the pliers in a vice and used vise grips and a piece of aluminum
To form the bend around the Eastwood tool.

I used Cunifer tubing which bends easy,But I have used the same method with steel lines at the spring perch.
John

Henry/Kokomo 10-05-2015 11:32 AM

John - Will give that a try.

Gary troxel 10-09-2015 10:19 AM

John, a few days ago I sent you a private message having to do with the commercial lights you are looking for. Gary Troxel [email protected]

Talkwrench 10-10-2015 08:55 PM

John you did very well if you were using those Eastwood pliers.. All they ever did for me was crimp the line ..doh! Hateful things...

skidmarks 10-10-2015 09:11 PM

i find clocking the backing plates the easiest way plus if you use the stock model a rear perch on a later year rear and want to use the ball for the lever action shocks that is the way to go.
weld up the 4 bolt holes in the backing plate and transfer new hole in the desired location using a spindle and transfer punch.

Andy 10-10-2015 09:19 PM

The old trick was to put the cylinders on the bottom. You switch the plates side to side and rotate 180*. That puts the emergency cable going forward but the cylinders LEVEL and on the bottom. You have to turn the cylinders over so the big ends are to the back and the bleaders are up. The shoes are swiched as well with the big to the rear.
This also solves notching the backing plates for clearance.

scooder 10-11-2015 05:15 AM

On 39-48 brakes the big part on the cylinder should face the front. The larger brake shoe lining also goes to the front. In a stock installation.
Bendix style brakes (Lincoln and 49 up) brakes have the short lining to the front.
Just for comparison.
Martin.

JWL 10-11-2015 05:25 AM

It has been many years ago when I put Lockheed(Ford) brakes on a Model A and indexed the cylinders to the rear. No problems but I wasn't concerned with having a hand brake.

SofaKing 10-11-2015 06:54 AM

What about a 90 degree fitting, is there room?

john in illinois 10-11-2015 07:46 AM

Talkwrench, the pliers do make bad crimp marks on the tubing. They are not much good. I milled a groove in some aluminum and formed the tube around the pliers with no crimp mark.
I indexed the backing plates on my Model A Tudor and that works well too.

John

john in illinois 10-11-2015 08:03 AM

I might add that I found a good tech article on the HAMB about tubing bending.
I wish I had seen this before I did mine.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...bender.993747/

John

skidmarks 10-11-2015 08:51 AM

When I do it I clock them back about one bolt hole diameter so approximately 1/2". I have not had any issues hooking the parking brake cable up. You can always bend the parking brake cable tube going into the backing plate alittle .