The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   She looks good but she doesn’t run so good (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286997)

pickup 09-10-2020 01:59 PM

She looks good but she doesn’t run so good

1 Attachment(s)
When you drive the truck and let off the accelerator to slow down or stop for a red light it quits running. I have done everything I know of and wonder if someone out there might have a suggestion as what could be causing this and how to fix it. She cranks good and runs ok. It seems that you have to keep the idle up a little to muck but it will set there and run all day.
I restored this 1952 F-1 from scratch which included rebuilding the engine. I converted it over to 12 volt and had the carburetor rebuilt by National Carburetor in Jacksonville FL. Of course, new points, plugs and condenser.

Automotive Stud 09-10-2020 02:02 PM

Re: She looks good but she doesn’t run so good

Float setting too low?

pickup 09-10-2020 02:11 PM

How do I fix a low float setting

petehoovie 09-10-2020 02:12 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1599764854

Aarongriffey 09-10-2020 02:45 PM

If the float setting is too high it will dump fuel into the venturies when stopping quick and flood the engine and kill it.
Try this: run along a level road at a steady speed, put the truck in neutral, let it roll to a stop without using the brakes. Did it die?
If it didn’t die try it again and jam on the brakes and see if it dies when just coasting along.
But let us know what the final cure is, por favor.

Lawson Cox 09-10-2020 03:40 PM

From the heading on this post I thought you were talking about my wife, who is 81. LOL

Tim Ayers 09-10-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawson cox (Post 1929932)
from the heading on this post i thought you were talking about my wife, who is 81. Lol

lol!!!!!!

grumppyoldman 09-10-2020 04:19 PM

Call Nat. Carb. ask them what the setting should be. You paid for a fix, they should be willing to help you. al

Talkwrench 09-10-2020 06:52 PM

Lawson!

GB SISSON 09-10-2020 09:02 PM

Intake manifold leak? They don't idle with a leak, but run ok. Check base of carb, manifold gasket, hoses including the vac hose to the wiper. Check with brake cleaner or unlit propane torch.

F-ONE 09-10-2020 09:16 PM

1. Vacuum leak
It's quite common to see multiple carburetor gaskets on flathead intakes. 2 fresh gaskets are OK but I have seen as many as 4. Maybe this is simply by accident. The bottom gasket has a tendency to stick hard to the intake requiring it to be shaved off with a razor.

What I'm getting at is it's real easy to leave a old gasket on the intake or leave pieces of it. This could cause a vacuum leak.
There's other areas that could cause a vacuum leak, for instance, a bad hose to the wiper motor.
Carburetor out of adjustment...
As mentioned the float could be out of adjustment.

You need to check the choke linkage. The choke linkage first goes to high idle and as the cable is pulled further it closes the choke plate. Check the linkage and make sure the choke is not partially pulled out or in other words, make sure returns fully closed.
Check the throttle linkage.
Ford 94s have a 3 position mixture adapter on the accelerator pump. Rich, Lean, Middle. This is for different elevations and temperature. It's something to check and make sure.
Idle mixture screws... You need to set these with a vacuum gauge. If these are difficult to set, that's a clue you have a vacuum leak.
3. Out of time
Make sure the engine is in time. It's best to set the timing with a light. Put the pointer on the pulley dot.
I have found out that these can fool you by setting it by ear even with a vacuum gauge.
Electrical connections...
Make sure you have good and tight connections. A positional connection that has poor intermittent contact will drive you nuts as it works sometimes, sometimes not.
5. Fuel supply...
Check for clogged filters, kinked hoses, dirty gas tank and or a weak fuel pump.
6. Tune Up...
Go over all the tune up data and procedures again. Point and plug gap can have a big affect on these.
It would also be a good idea to do a compression test. This will tell if your valves need adjustment. A vacuum gauge can as well, especially if the needle flutters.

Charlie ny 09-10-2020 09:18 PM

P'up......With the air horn inverted and the gasket removed the dimension from the gasket face of the air horn to the top of the float should be 1.350. Also check the
float drop, very important.
Charlie ny

39portlander 09-11-2020 06:01 AM

A great thread, keep us posted with how you make out there.

Lawson, you are AWESOME:D

RKS.PA 09-11-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 1929932)
From the heading on this post I thought you were talking about my wife, who is 81. LOL

So, Lawson, how was sleeping on the couch last night???....any better prospects for tonight??:D