The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Main Bearing Janitor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314050)

Bob Bidonde 06-03-2022 09:59 AM

Rear Main Bearing Janitor

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone invented a way of draining the janitor when its full of oil without getting under the car?

ndnchf 06-03-2022 10:28 AM

Re: Rear Main Bearing Janitor

Solder a petcock to the bottom?

CarlG 06-03-2022 12:40 PM

When I was using one on a previous engine, I cut several sheets of oil absorbent material to fit the janitor. It was easy to pick them out and replace with no mess.

Herb Concord Ca 06-03-2022 04:13 PM

I installed a drainplug in mine.

nkaminar 06-03-2022 05:30 PM

You can buy manual pumps for removing the engine oil through the dip stick hole. It is used a lot on marine engines where it is almost impossible to get under the engine.

ursus 06-03-2022 05:32 PM

I have to laugh about an old guy that once showed me his rear main "janitor". This consisted of a short tuna can that he had rigged up in such a manner as to allow the windage to tilt the can downward at higher speed, allowing the oil to dribble out on the roadway. At low speed or when parked the tension on the can pulled it back to horizontal so that it could catch any oil drips.

Of course this guy came from an era when all cars dripped oil, as evidenced in photos taken during the 1920's and 1930's that show a dark streak down the middle of the pavement on each side of the road.

TerryH 06-03-2022 07:01 PM

With my first Model A in 1964, I simply wired up a small canned ham can…..it was there for 3 years until I sold it…..

TerryH 06-03-2022 07:01 PM

With my first Model A in 1964, I simply wired up a small canned ham can…..it was there for 3 years until I sold it…..

Y-Blockhead 06-03-2022 07:26 PM

Last time this question came up I gave the same advice. I install a feminine napkin in mine and change it out once a month...

Synchro909 06-03-2022 09:08 PM

I have made my own janitors and used some old rag in them as described above but the last one I made has a tray in it which I slide out to empty. The trick was to make sure it didn't come out and end up on the road somewhere.

jack backer 06-04-2022 05:45 AM

The barn is stuttering

jack backer 06-04-2022 05:45 AM

We used to run a can under the air box drains on a stationary 8V71 Jimmy that ran our rock crusher.. every shift we would pour the drippings back into the crankcase.

Take that tray off,give the janitor a break..

WHN 06-04-2022 07:09 AM

How much oil are we talking about dripping into the pan?

Over the years every Model A I have owned has marked its spot. Never a puddle, just a few drips. I have never been able to stop the dripping. Model T the same.

Am I missing something here?

Enjoy.

History 06-04-2022 07:14 AM

A clean driveway??

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 2135716)
How much oil are we talking about dripping into the pan?

Over the years every Model A I have owned has marked its spot. Never a puddle, just a few drips. I have never been able to stop the dripping. Model T the same.

Am I missing something here?

Enjoy.

Marshall V. Daut 06-04-2022 07:46 AM

Before installing the janitor, cover it with black duct tape all over, especially where the three holes slide over the bolt heads on the front of the flywheel housing and on the back of the lower bell housing. It's light-weight metal rubbing against cast iron that causes a vibration noise at certain RPMs. By taping the janitor, that vibration is dampened and you won't hear a new rattle. I finally traced an irritating high pitch metallic vibration noise to the new janitor I had installed under a friend's very worn and leaking engine. The Model A has enough noises of its own without us introducing a new one!
It also helps to bend the three janitor "ears" inward to increase the clamping pressure.
Marshall

Marshall V. Daut 06-04-2022 07:47 AM

Before installing the janitor, cover it with black duct tape all over, especially where the three holes slide over the bolt heads on the front of the flywheel housing and on the back of the lower bell housing. It's light-weight metal rubbing against cast iron that causes a vibration noise at certain RPMs. By taping the janitor, that vibration is dampened and you won't hear a new rattle. I finally traced an irritating high pitch metallic vibration noise to the new janitor I had installed under a friend's very worn and leaking engine. The Model A has enough noises of its own without us introducing a new one!
It also helps to bend the three janitor "ears" inward to increase the clamping pressure.
Marshall

WHN 06-04-2022 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by History (Post 2135718)
A clean driveway??

I understand you don’t want oil all over your driveway or garage floor.

I was just interested in knowing if owners were using this for a serious leak or just what I have seen, a drip or two?

I don’t believe you can stop ever drip on these cars. I have tried for many years and have failed every time.

That is my question.

Enjoy.

katy 06-04-2022 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 2135413)
Has anyone invented a way of draining the janitor when its full of oil without getting under the car?

A suction gun might work.

jack backer 06-04-2022 02:27 PM

A second breather tube attached to the rear of the valve cover above the rear main/rear cam oil gallery seems to work well..

History 06-04-2022 02:29 PM

While I was trying to be cute I wasn’t trying to be a jerk. I’d bet it’s just for the typical leaks, a drop now and then.
Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 2135789)
I understand you don’t want oil all over your driveway or garage floor.

I was just interested in knowing if owners were using this for a serious leak or just what I have seen, a drip or two?

I don’t believe you can stop ever drip on these cars. I have tried for many years and have failed every time.

That is my question.

Enjoy.