The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Posting this for a chuckle, unless you're grumpy, in which case you may hate it (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287495)

1930-Pickup 09-20-2020 12:28 AM

Posting this for a chuckle, unless you're grumpy, in which case you may hate it

This is only for giggles.
Don't take anything to seriously today.

Actually, I posted it because its my post number 666.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-A-RIM...temCondition=4

Charlie Stephens 09-20-2020 12:49 AM

Re: Posting this for a chuckle, unless you're grumpy, in which case you may hate it

I bet his wife told him to "put those damn wheels on EBAY and sell them".

Charlie Stephens

Synchro909 09-20-2020 01:39 AM

Re: Posting this for a chuckle, unless you're grumpy, in which case you may hate it

$1,999 for 5 wheels! How much without the gold plating?

Chris in WNC 09-20-2020 06:35 AM

interesting description.
seller knows very little about the wheels in general,
in addition to knowing NOTHING about their market value......

WHN 09-20-2020 06:58 AM

You can’t even make an offer!

$90.00 shipping?

As they say, “you can always come down in price, but it’s hard to go up”.

Enjoy.

ronn 09-20-2020 07:13 AM

Im not feeling it............................

Lona 09-20-2020 07:38 AM

If he included the tires and tubes and maybe a car to mount them on, it might be a good deal.

Glen

rocket1 09-20-2020 08:11 AM

When I got to the part where he did not think they were original due to the good condition that was the humorous part,hey maybe repro rims painted and purposely chipped! HA

Bob Bidonde 09-20-2020 09:20 AM

It's the hot air in the tires that costs so much!

ericr 09-20-2020 10:10 AM

this is hard for me to figure out. we talk here a lot as to whether the hobby is diminishing or not, some of us think it is. so how/why does somebody post an ad like that?

PalAl 09-20-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1933509)
It's the hot air in the tires that costs so much!

At that price it can't just be hot air, my guess would be it's distilled sail boat air, knowing it's volume is lighter, much easier to compress and balance, a very good choice for any classic car. A box of SBA is very expensive and shipping can be tricky as it's a gas........:eek: that would certainly explain the asking price. :rolleyes:

McMimmcs 09-20-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 1933519)
this is hard for me to figure out. we talk here a lot as to whether the hobby is diminishing or not, some of us think it is. so how/why does somebody post an ad like that?

Money is the driving force!

dean from bozeman 09-20-2020 10:35 AM

I thought that it was a misprint but then looked at the other items for sale. It includes a used pipe wrench for $49!

Just wonder what they would try to sell a complete Model A for? Perhaps I can sell them one.

California Travieso 09-20-2020 03:55 PM

He’s located about 20 miles from me in Rialto, CA. I can save on the shipping!

David Serrano

1930-Pickup 09-20-2020 04:11 PM

These reply's are hilarious.
I think that when the past owner hung them on his wall, he knew what the value was.

Imagine the previous owner seeing this ebay ad. :eek:
I'll bet he's laughing so hard in the after-world, he still managed to bust his spleen. :D

noyo55 09-20-2020 04:47 PM

I saw a Craigslist ad a while back that had a set of rims for a 30-31 with about the same price as these. Guy said he found some reproductions from one of the vendors and based his price on those. Hope springs eternal !!!!

1930-Pickup 09-20-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noyo55 (Post 1933623)
...Hope springs eternal !!!!

For some folks, so does 'ignorance'.

37 Coupe 09-20-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noyo55 (Post 1933623)
I saw a Craigslist ad a while back that had a set of rims for a 30-31 with about the same price as these. Guy said he found some reproductions from one of the vendors and based his price on those. Hope springs eternal !!!!

This is the only thing that makes sense since the repros are about $500-$600 new each.

chrs1961815 09-20-2020 09:03 PM

This is the problem with online auction places like Ebay. A lot of people think that just because something is old means it is worth a lot of money. Then another person sees the past auction and it is just a chain reaction.

1930-Pickup 09-20-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 1933692)
This is the problem with online auction places like Ebay. A lot of people think that just because something is old means it is worth a lot of money. Then another person sees the past auction and it is just a chain reaction.

It's not an on-line auction problem...it's a human mind-set problem. The problem existed long before there was an internet.

Ebay has a "Completed Listings" feature that lets you see all the auctions that ended in the last 30 days. It also tells you if the item sold, and at what price.

I use the "Completed Listings" feature whenever I list an item for sale so that I don't end up on a discussion forum somewhere looking like a jerk (or should I say "looking like a bigger jerk?). :rolleyes:

The guy with this ad for five rims at $1999 is just plain clueless, as his own description clearly indicates.