The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   generator or alternator (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102480)

machine girl 04-05-2013 05:50 PM

generator or alternator

what to do?

mantta 04-05-2013 05:52 PM

Re: generator or alternator

Keep it original-----Generator!

kenparker 04-05-2013 05:55 PM

alternator - less headaches.

Aok 04-05-2013 06:01 PM

Best to make your own choice both will charge battery Also they both have pros and cons do a search and you will see

Fred 04-05-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenparker (Post 625955)
alternator - less headaches.

Take two asprin & use a generator !!

Kevin in NJ 04-05-2013 06:41 PM

Properly rebuilt the generator will just need some oil and adjusting the third brush for next several generations that your family owns the car. The generator will let you run the direct replacement halogen head lamps. This is contrary to the advice you get from the stores that sell alternators, they may have a vested interest in selling you something.

Add in a voltage regulator to eliminate the 3rd brush adjusting.

An alternator was a great thing for mechanics. They got to do more repairs on the cars that were quick and easy.
The V belt on the alternator is never tight enough to produce near the rated output. Look up how tight the V belt is supposed to be on the alt. Most are so loose you can spin the pulley.
Some single wire alt will put a slight drain on the battery.
It seems that there have been more people having troubles with their trouble free alternators on this board then generator people have generator problems.

SHEC 04-05-2013 06:52 PM

ALTERNATOR IN THE REAL WORLD OF TODAY'S DRIVING-generator for authentic/looks/point scoring - etc.

I drive quite some distance all year - thus an alternator for me........... other than that - all stock '30 Dlx. Cpe.

HAVE FUN -

"SHEC"

AL in NY 04-05-2013 07:41 PM

I have the best of both worlds with my new Russ Evans 50 amp, 6 volt, positive ground alternator built in a Model A generator housing. And it will pass fine point judging!!

Willie Krash 04-05-2013 08:00 PM

I own an Alternator starter shop. I use a generator. Alternators just don't look right. Just my opinion. If I had to have an alternator I'd go Al's way, if I could afford it.
Admittedly I'm a fair weather driver, and drive for pleasure.

AL in NY 04-05-2013 08:11 PM

After getting caught driving in the fog at night while at the New England meet last September, my wife told me if she was going to ride in my truck after dark, I better get some better headlights. Well, this alternator is step number one in that upgrade..............It's nice to get the wife's blessing on big ticket items, considering my Model A generator didn't need replacing.

Purdy Swoft 04-05-2013 08:51 PM

I also prefer the generator. I've run alternators and every one has failed. I also got lots of rude comments about my cars that had alternators. Comments like it didn't come with an alternator and If I had a model A I would want it to have a generator. I can rebuild my own generators. I really don't know anything about an alternator and when it quits working, its just an expensive throw away. I use the Fun Projects can style voltage regulators with my generators and never have a problem with either. One thing that is really a novelty to me is that you can run the model A generator on 12 volts with no modification, can use the original wiring harnesses, original ammeter and not a single wire needs to be reversed , as long as you run positive ground. I don't run any electrical accessories and don't feel that I want or need any. I have no problems running two tail lights for safety and my tail lights, brake lights, and headlights are bright. It cranks so quick that you can hardly let off the starter button quick enough. I love it and have often said that I have the best of both worlds.

Kurt in NJ 04-05-2013 08:53 PM

You don't need an alternator to have bright lights that you can SEE with, you just need good lights

Poorly focused very bright lights would be worse in fog --all you would get is bright fog

msmaron 04-05-2013 09:18 PM

Let Tom Wesenberg chime in with hsi unit for generators..You can use the generator and put in toms little regulator and run anything.

ctlikon0712 04-05-2013 09:26 PM

Mark, I was just going to say a Generator with Tom Wesenberg's EVR! The best of both worlds and you don't have to run the fan belt tight enough to ensure the alternator doesn't slip and then damage the water pump bearing!

Tom Wesenberg 04-05-2013 09:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 625974)
Take two asprin & use a generator !!

:D LOL, that was great Fred! :D

Generator is the way to go, much less trouble. I haven't touched mine since I rebuilt it 15 years ago and installed my EVR. It's so trouble free that the only reason I ever look at the ammeter is to make sure the brake light hasn't burned out.:)

Duffy1 04-05-2013 09:38 PM

I run an alternator,air conditioner compressor and water pump on one belt . No problem. Tighten fan belt as you normally would.

columbiA 04-05-2013 09:54 PM

Over the past 60 years &16 model A,s,I have never seen the need for an alternator.I have stock lights with 32-32 bulbs and they work very well.The engine cranks over quickly with good grounds every where.If you are running AC and other high draw items,then you need 12V & an alt.As for me,I hate the looks of an alt on an A.

Rock Hornbuckle 04-05-2013 10:11 PM

I love the way alternators look.

BashawT 04-05-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL in NY (Post 626017)
I have the best of both worlds with my new Russ Evans 50 amp, 6 volt, positive ground alternator built in a Model A generator housing. And it will pass fine point judging!!

What is the cost of one of these?

Mike V. Florida 04-05-2013 11:10 PM

I drive quite some distance all year - thus an generator for me.

If an Alt makes you feel better and will get/keep you on the road get one! My point has always been you don't need one.