The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cast vs. stamped steel clam shells (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316828)

Tim Ayers 08-10-2022 08:43 PM

Cast vs. stamped steel clam shells

I've read some folks highlighting that they've used a cast clam shell vs. a stamped one. Is one preferred over another or is just a correct restoration piece depending on the year?

Ford Freak 08-10-2022 10:36 PM

Re: Cast vs. stamped steel clam shells

I didn't know there was 2 types. Mine is stamped. Which one is more/less common? - F F

cas3 08-10-2022 10:38 PM

I've never seen a cast one either. 32-34 are one piece, but still stamped IIRC

svm99 08-10-2022 11:03 PM

I believe the early '32 were forged 2 piece and then the same part shows up again in '35 for a period of time. The forged unit bears a "B" part number.

DavidG 08-10-2022 11:53 PM

With respect, all '32-'34 cups were one-piece steel stampings. 48-4520-A1 and 48-4520-A2 are the two versions of the two-piece caps released for the '35 model year. The cast version (not forged) has the part number cast in on one half. When a part number has a number following its letter suffix, that indicates a different supplier and normally a different design with the same functionality and therefore the same basic part number. It is one of the telltales of the Ford part numbering system that has remained more or less unchanged in terms of its basics for 98 years.

It could a regional thing as I've never thought of the cast ones as particularly uncommon.

Tim Ayers 08-11-2022 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 2156237)
With respect, all '32-'34 cups were one-piece steel stampings. 48-4520-A1 and 48-4520-A2 are the two versions of the two-piece caps released for the '35 model year. The cast version (not forged) has the part number cast in on one half. When a part number has a number following its letter suffix, that indicates a different supplier and normally a different design with the same functionality and therefore the same basic part number. It is one of the telltales of the Ford part numbering system that has remained more or less unchanged in terms of its basics for 98 years.

It could a regional thing as I've never thought of the cast ones as particularly uncommon.

Thanks, David. Interesting thought about being a regional thing, since this is the first time I've encountered a cast one. All of the numerous ones I've had over the years have all been stamped steel.

Mac VP 08-11-2022 05:35 AM

We acquire those for our core parts stock. I’d say about somewhere between a quarter and a third of them are the cast iron type. Due to the additional thickness I believe they need a slightly longer bolt to hold them together.

Tim Ayers 08-11-2022 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac VP (Post 2156256)
We acquire those for our core parts stock. I’d say about somewhere between a quarter and a third of them are the cast iron type. Due to the additional thickness I believe they need a slightly longer bolt to hold them together.

Interesting. I wonder if this accounts for the two different lengths of those special L bolts that hold the clam shell to the trans mount. I never knew there were two lengths until I started to amass approximately 20 of them.

The longer ones were harvested from '35/'36 trans mounts.

DavidG 08-11-2022 07:14 AM

Both the two vertically-placed bolts that hold the two halves together and the four horizontally-placed bolts with the offset heads that attach the cap to the rear of the transmission mount are longer to accommodate the greater thickness of the steel casting.

Tim Ayers 08-11-2022 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 2156274)
Both the two vertically-placed bolts that hold the two halves together and the four horizontally-placed bolts with the offset heads that attach the cap to the rear of the transmission mount are longer to accommodate the greater thickness of the steel casting.

Makes sense, sure. Thanks

Mart 08-11-2022 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a cast pair that have 4 bolts holding them together. Maybe Pilot or some other UK origin.

Tim Ayers 08-11-2022 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 2156413)
I've got a cast pair that have 4 bolts holding them together. Maybe Pilot or some other UK origin.

Mart,

Neat and thanks for posting. I like your use of the nuts for the four "L" bolts. Can you tell us more where you got those? I bet they help with the tight clearance in this area.

I find even the smaller diameter Ford nuts can be a tight fight.

DavidG 08-11-2022 02:58 PM

Now that is something different! Thanks for sharing it.

Mart 08-11-2022 03:03 PM

I made the nuts myself. I had some wheel spacer stud extenders that had a 7/16 UNF thread and a 5/8" hex body. It had a male thread one end and a female thread inside the hex. I cut off the external stud and turned the hex down at the base. They do work well.

Ken/Alabama 08-11-2022 05:56 PM

The one on my 39 Zephyr was cast and had the part number cast into it. Had an 86H prefix which would be correct for Lincoln. Never seen one on a Ford.

svm99 08-11-2022 10:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 2156237)

I’d like to respectfully add a bit more information to this discussion as is often done in these parts discussions. Attached are 2 pictures of part number B-4514 clamshells I’ve had (have) in my parts inventory. Thank you, Paul J.

cas3 08-12-2022 12:19 AM

Interesting double bolt thing from mart ! I have to agree with David G , it may be a regional thing. Me, being near the St Paul Mn Ford plant perhaps stamped parts was the thing here, as I've never seen a cast clam. Correct me if I'm wrong, but small parts like that were perhaps jobbed out locally.