The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   timing pin substitute (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211995)

ericr 01-03-2017 09:25 AM

timing pin substitute

do any of you guys remember a substitute timing pin that was sold some years ago, that was spring-loaded, such that you did not have to unscrew the timing pin., merely press it on it till it fell into the dimple, then release?

did anyone ever buy it? does anyone still make it?

zzlegend 01-03-2017 09:37 AM

Re: timing pin substitute

Only one I have seen is this one. Don't think this is what you are talking about.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/timing-pin-tool-3669

ericr 01-03-2017 09:42 AM

never seen that accessory before! it is different because the thing I used to see was a permanent installation.

I suppose part of the theory was if you started the engine without removing the "fumble pin", as it was called in the old ads, it hogs out the dimple.

29spcoupe 01-03-2017 10:16 AM

I bought one in Hershey, made of brass. Well done and works as advertised. I don't leave it in the timing cover, just screw it into the cover when I use it, then replace the original timing pin when done. I found it in the chocolate field across from Tam's, but forgot the vendors name.

MrBruce 01-03-2017 03:08 PM

Yes, I've run one for years. I don't remember where I bought it and would buy an extra one if I saw them on the market. Sorry I don't remember, but it has worked great, never a problem

Synchro909 01-03-2017 05:00 PM

I think some one here on the barn showed one they had made themselves a while ago. Making one shouldn't be too difficult but as is often the case, it might not be worth the effort if one is available cheap enough commercially.

SeaSlugs 01-03-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29spcoupe (Post 1408526)
I bought one in Hershey, made of brass. Well done and works as advertised. I don't leave it in the timing cover, just screw it into the cover when I use it, then replace the original timing pin when done. I found it in the chocolate field across from Tam's, but forgot the vendors name.

Spring loaded brass thing with a keychain ring? I Got one - amazingly simple and effective tool! about the size of the timing pin itself.

29spcoupe 01-03-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1408676)
Spring loaded brass thing with a keychain ring? I Got one - amazingly simple and effective tool! about the size of the timing pin itself.

That's the one!

1930-fordor 01-03-2017 06:07 PM

Sounds interesting,
Would someone be nice enough to post a picture

29spcoupe 01-03-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930-fordor (Post 1408683)
Sounds interesting,
Would someone be nice enough to post a picture

I went out to the garage to take a picture, can't find it. I put it somewhere so I wouldn't loose it, and now I can't find it. I'll have to look tomorrow in the daylight.

SeaSlugs 01-03-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29spcoupe (Post 1408694)
I went out to the garage to take a picture, can't find it. I put it somewhere so I wouldn't loose it, and now I can't find it. I'll have to look tomorrow in the daylight.

sure its not in the car in a tool box or attached to the ign key?:D

id post a pic but dont know the seller and wouldn't want to undermine his sales by people making thier own if someone remembers the name or has a contact others could buy from him that would be great! - I did hear snyders bought a whole buncha them to sell in thier catalogs - I dont know if the guy has caught up for that large of order or not :P

Synchro909 01-03-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Haven't we all done that! Never clean up your workshop if you ever want to find stuff again.:D

Tom Wesenberg 01-03-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

I do that all the time. Why does it always backfire?:eek:

Timing is a cause of backfiring. I better check my timing. :D

jm29henry 01-03-2017 07:26 PM

I,me with you 29& Tom

jm29henry 01-03-2017 07:27 PM

Alway shows up when your not looking for it!!!��

DougVieyra 01-03-2017 08:10 PM

Post #15: "Alway shows up when your not looking for it!!!"

Yeah - but by the time you see it again , you don't remember that you were ever looking for it ! :):D:confused::o:(

Synchro909 01-03-2017 09:06 PM

I'm finding this thread very comforting. I'M NOT ALONE!!:D

steve smith 01-03-2017 11:06 PM

Put the pin in with rubber bands holding it in. Hand crank slowly using both hands and watch the pin slip into timing dimple then STOP ! You got it . Throw away the rubber bands cause you Won't remember where there are. Always change rubbers as needed.

ian Simpson 01-03-2017 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve smith (Post 1408812)
Put the pin in with rubber bands holding it in. Hand crank slowly using both hands and watch the pin slip into timing dimple then STOP ! You got it . Throw away the rubber bands cause you Won't remember where there are. Always change rubbers as needed.

That's what my dad told me:)

Bruce of MN 01-04-2017 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougVieyra (Post 1408736)
Post #15: "Alway shows up when your not looking for it!!!"

Yeah - but by the time you see it again , you don't remember that you were ever looking for it ! :):D:confused::o:(

I usually find it after I buy a new one.