The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Alcohol Race Fuel (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306969)

all american boy 11-27-2021 02:06 PM

Alcohol Race Fuel

Yes.We will add nitro to it.

First things first.

Anybody use it before?

What are the in's and out' to it?

Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

rotorwrench 11-28-2021 11:28 AM

Re: Alcohol Race Fuel

It takes a lot of it to make a lot of power. I've never used it but I know a few drag racers that have. Many racers run a good bit more nitromethane than methanol. The methanol helps cool the combustion chambers. The stuff is hard on oil and it very corrosive but most racers change the oil right after racing. Nitromethane is very much like rocket fuel. It doesn't need much oxygen to ignite and run but it takes a lot of it to get down the 1/4 mile when running the mix. Methanol only, takes a lot more methanol to get the same power so the jets have to be sized to allow for the ratio that makes it work. It burns clean and the flame is almost invisible. All you can see is the heat waves coming off of it.

Blending can also be some work. You need a hydrometer and a temperature gauge to keep the mix in your tank the same all the time.

all american boy 11-28-2021 09:53 PM

Thank you rotorwrench

Sounds good!

Will keep working on this.

Happy Holidays!

55blacktie 11-28-2021 11:00 PM

I don't think this is the best forum for seeking the info. you're looking for.

Rusty Junk 12-03-2021 09:12 PM

It's a good way to hydro lock your engine...

fordor41 12-03-2021 11:10 PM

on a simular note, I watched "engine masters" on tv and they dyno tested reg unleaded, 91 octane, Sonoco 100+ octane racing , 115 or so sonoco racing & E85 fuels. same SBC , same timing etc and there wasn't any more than about 2 hp gain out of any of them.

55blacktie 12-04-2021 12:32 AM

I watched the Engine Masters episode as well. However, the bottom line for their tests is that there's no real gain in using a higher octane fuel than what an engine requires. Nevertheless, timing, carb tuning, spark plug range can change the fuel needs of an engine. My 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi runs fine on 87/w 10% ethanol; that's what Chrysler recommends, but were talking about a modern EFI computer-controlled engine. A 292 Y-block/w big-valve heads, bigger cam, bigger carb, and raised compression might need more.

KULTULZ 12-04-2021 02:24 PM

NITROMETHANE is a completely different subject -

Quote:

As an engine fuel -

Nitro-methane is used as a fuel in motor racing, particularly drag racing, as well as for radio-controlled model power boats, cars, planes and helicopters. In this context, nitro-methane is commonly referred to as "nitro fuel" or simply "nitro", and is the principal ingredient for fuel used in the "Top Fuel" category of drag racing.

The oxygen content of nitro-methane enables it to burn with much less atmospheric oxygen than conventional fuels. During nitromethane combustion, nitric oxide (NO) is one of the major emission products along with CO2 and H2O.
SOURCE - ENTIRE ARTICLE - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane

paul2748 12-04-2021 10:59 PM

I don't know where this guy comes up with topics. They all seem off the wall and unrelated to to anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55blacktie (Post 2080437)
I don't think this is the best forum for seeking the info. you're looking for.

bobss396 12-10-2021 08:27 AM

Valvoline used to make a special blower oil to be used with nitro mixes.

all american boy 01-10-2022 02:14 PM

Talked to a guy that has done some racing.

He said racers add 10% nitro to 100 octane racing gas.

A Sinclair near us here sells 110 octane.It's for the dune buggy crowd.

Apparently race gas has lead in it.

That's it for now!

rotorwrench 01-11-2022 11:12 AM

It must be nitro-propane they are referring to. Nitro-methane doesn't mix with gasoline at all. Jetting or mixture controls would have to be changed to run nitro-propane in gasoline.