The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Transmission & Banjo Oil Changes - A must do! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298571)

Veeder 05-14-2021 05:34 PM

Transmission & Banjo Oil Changes - A must do!

For starters I'm in the process of rebuilding a 41 3 speed Tran.

What has made me wake up a bit was the condition of the shaft, inside of the casting and gears. The significance/need to change the oil in both Tran. And Banjo) is clear to me now regardless how few miles I put on the car. Condensation seems to be a bit of an enemy for many of us and we may not know it. I would most likely not be writing this if I lived in other parts of the country.

Certainly I've missed the boat on this one a bit as I was in the camp of "there isn't the need". I actually believe now it should just be done once a year regardless.

Any suggestions on the best oil to use?

tubman 05-14-2021 07:57 PM

Re: Transmission & Banjo Oil Changes - A must do!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veeder (Post 2016596)
For starters I'm in the process of rebuilding a 41 3 speed Tran.

What has made me wake up a bit was the condition of the shaft, inside of the casting and gears. The significance/need to change the oil in both Tran. And Banjo) is clear to me now regardless how few miles I put on the car. Condensation seems to be a bit of an enemy for many of us and we may not know it. I would most likely not be writing this if I lived in other parts of the country.

Certainly I've missed the boat on this one a bit as I was in the camp of "there isn't the need". I actually believe now it should just be done once a year regardless.

Any suggestions on the best oil to use?

One thing that surprised me when I got my '51 Ford 34 years ago was that the chassis lubrication interval was 1000 miles. Things were different back then, and I try to keep to the lubrication schedule (my original owners manual says to do a chassis lube every 1000 miles) even though it seems a bit extreme.

You really want to get some "GL4" oil from AMAZON or perhaps your local NAPA. DO NOT use GL5, as it may harm the brass parts in your transmission.

Tinker 05-14-2021 10:49 PM

Every spring I do a full chassis lube and check all fluids (fluids throughout), well a full inspection. Lucas has diesel gear oil at every parts store for diff. Check it, flush it every few yrs.

Veeder 05-15-2021 06:20 AM

Flushing it is the key which is what I've not done.

39portlander 05-16-2021 06:44 AM

I have been using the STA-Lube 85W/90 api-GL-4, the nice thing about it most all your parts stores have it and can use it in my T and the 39 & 77 P/U's.

Ross F-1 05-16-2021 04:02 PM

Best way to prevent that kind of damage is to drive it long and often! Get everything nice and hot. Short trips don't work.

svmsr1044 05-17-2021 03:42 PM

The more you drive 'em the better they run!!

wright-47 05-20-2021 08:40 PM

Definatly make sure the oil is GL4 rated and NOT GL5. GL5 will destroy the brass in your trany as I have experianced the cost of replacing tranys in two pieces of heavy equipement because of what was "better" oil.