The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Scammer alert (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287254)

38 Conv 09-15-2020 07:07 AM

Scammer alert

DO NOT BUY FROM THESE EMAILS even if they show you a picture of item---

emails--- davidthom957@gmail,com

ALSO

[email protected] ----this is the Pay- Pal info

And Pay- Pal will do nothing about trying to get money back-- they want to protect the criminal so do not trust Pay-Pal if you ever need their help

uncle buck 09-15-2020 08:48 AM

Re: Scammer alert

Quote:

Originally Posted by 38 Conv (Post 1931810)

And Pay- Pal will do nothing about trying to get money back-- they want to protect the criminal so do not trust Pay-Pal if you ever need their help

First of all , I hate hearing this and I have nothing to do with Pay-Pal. Did you pay with the friends and family option? If so , they make no transaction / commission fees so they really have nothing at stake for themselves. The transaction / commission fees is where they make their money from that offer us protection.

tubman 09-15-2020 08:57 AM

Excellent point, "uncle buck". I don't think people consider this. "There is no such thing as a free lunch".

51504bat 09-15-2020 09:04 AM

How were you contacted by the scammers? If it was a PM here on the Barn make sure you report them to the mods so they can be banned and not scam anyone else. Scammers are joining just to reply to wanted ads here on the Barn and the HAMB as well. It you get a PM from a new member with zero posts in response to a wanted ad referring you to an email address of someone who has what you are looking for report the member to the mods as it is 99.9% a scam.

barnfind08 09-15-2020 09:32 AM

PayPal charges the buyer when it is friends or family. The seller does not pay any fees he gets all his money for the parts.

tubman 09-15-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnfind08 (Post 1931887)
PayPal charges the buyer when it is friends or family. The seller does not pay any fees he gets all his money for the parts.

I did not know this. I have never had the occasion to send any funds "Friends and Family". I am now mystified why anyone who buys things would use use this option. It would seem that they are voluntarily paying the fees and taking all of the risk.:eek:

mrtexas 09-15-2020 10:13 AM

family and friends is free if not using credit card

V8 Bob 09-15-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Not entirely true. It depends on how the money is funded. No fees with a bank account. Open Paypal and learn all the options.

JSeery 09-15-2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

I have used it a lot and never been charged. It must depend on how it is set up. Use it to transfer money to family members and as far as I know they have never payed a fee and the money transferred to me have never had a fee attached. I'm sure you know of what you speak, can you expand on the way your account is setup that leads to the fees?

Ross F-1 09-15-2020 07:57 PM

"Friends and family" is not for payments for goods.

JSeery 09-15-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross F-1 (Post 1932084)
"Friends and family" is not for payments for goods.

That's true, but I think a lot of folks use it for that. And I can see why it would have no backing in a dispute from PayPal.