The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Newbe with a couple of questions (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280508)

WilliamRieske 05-04-2020 02:07 PM

Newbe with a couple of questions

With my dad's passing in January, I inherited a 31 Model A coupe. The problem it is in Utah, I am in Arkansas. I have been disappointed in the professional transport options I have found, so I plan to drive out in two weeks and bring it home myself. Any suggestions for do's and don'ts would be appreciated.
Also the car has not been started in eight to ten years so suggestions for what to do before I turn the key would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Bill

Jacksonlll 05-04-2020 02:18 PM

Re: Newbe with a couple of questions

You can’t take a trip with it until you do a lot and get to know the car. You will spend a lot more trying to drive the trip than a carrier. Get it delivered home and then take your time playing with it. Goo d luck.

Charlie Stephens 05-04-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamRieske (Post 1883410)
With my dad's passing in January, I inherited a 31 Model A coupe. The problem it is in Utah, I am in Arkansas. I have been disappointed in the professional transport options I have found, so I plan to drive out in two weeks and bring it home myself. Any suggestions for do's and don'ts would be appreciated.
Also the car has not been started in eight to ten years so suggestions for what to do before I turn the key would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Bill

Did you mean bring it home on a trailer or try to drive it home (bad idea)?

Charlie Stephens

1930artdeco 05-04-2020 08:55 PM

Welcome to the club! If you have never driven one/worked on one before there will be a very steep learning curve. Here is my two cents worth:

1) Get a member roster from MAFCA/MARC

2) Drain all fluid and refill
3) hand crank the engine over before trying to fire her up.
4) If the tank has rusted or shellacked over, that will need to be fixed or the car will die repeatedly.
5) The oil probably has turned to sludge so the pan will need to be cleaned out
6) Check the tubes as they tend to blow occasionally
7) There is a guy on the barn who advertises transport of cars, may check him out.

Mike

KansasRick 05-04-2020 09:37 PM

Your album photos shows the car on a flat bed heading home today. Is that right William?

Bill G 05-05-2020 12:46 AM

If you try driving a long distance in a 89 year old car that has not even been started in that many years, you probably won't make it very far. My short suggestion is don't do it, or the cost of rebuilding the engine will far outpace the cost of shipping. Any new owner of a Model A also needs some practice so that the downshifting, spark control, and GAV setting are familiar and somewhat second nature.

chap52 05-05-2020 07:27 AM

Sorry for your fathers passing.
My advice:
Have it shipped. Probably cheaper than going and getting it yourself. I had my A shipped from Virginia to Arizona for less than I could have driven there and towed it home. Considering time, fuel, food and motel stays...
Was picked up on a Friday morning and delivered the next Sunday. Quicker than expected.
Car was on an open carrier, no damage or issues.
As advised, it's driving a new adventure car by someone new to "A's"=more of an adventure than you may really want to experience...
Enjoy the adventure with your new A.

DD931 05-05-2020 09:13 AM

I have moved several cars with a Penske truck pulling a Penske trailer (not the two-wheel kind). Good equipment.

DHZIEMAN 05-05-2020 01:54 PM

I trailered mine safely with some strong tie downs, well located on axles and also two for side to side movements! Also I covered the entire front of my 1930 with a plastic tarp and had it tied down very well to prevent "FLAPPING" on the body paint. I had all 4 wheels on the trailer and did not want to keep two on the ground as on these old cars, especially not familiar with tire quality, I got all wheels off the ground on the trailer. I was fortunate, I borrowed my neighbors trailer and kept it a week. Have a good vehicle, if the trailer has brakes, good to have brake controller in your truck. Also, in towing any vehicle, Tie downs can fool you and loosen. Early on in your adventure, stop more than fuel stops to check things over, make sure the car has not shifted and keep an eye on trailer tires too! Good luck on your adventure!

RTPbee81 05-05-2020 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shipping is probable the best option, I trailered mine from Iowa to NC, 1106 miles, thought the $1000 price tag to ship, was to steep, but with gas, trailer rental and hotel cost me a little over $1,150 but was much more enjoyable. lot of of thumbs up as people passed me on the highway...

Fred K OR 05-05-2020 02:42 PM

Another look at the situation. Normally it would be a good "vacation" to get out and drive across the country. But now, ??? don't know with the current situation.
When we did our huckster build a few years ago, we drove from Oregon to Michigan to pick up the wooden body. It was a great trip, took us about two weeks. We loaded the body in back of my pickup and tied it down well. BUT did not cover it with anything. Did not want the "flapping" to mess up the finish on the body-worked out great.
So just some ideas on a trip like this

MAG 05-05-2020 03:04 PM

In the past I have called ahead to reserve a UHaul Car Hauler, one way. That saves fuel. UHaul equipment is usually very dependable and the correct equipment to tie down the vehicle is present. As has been suggested, check tie down straps frequently. With a good tow vehicle I think you will be fine. Done it lots of times.
For what it's worth,.... don't try to start the engine until you have done the proper inspection as has been suggested.

1928Mik 05-05-2020 03:14 PM

Try this guy for supreme auto transport. He's all over the country, very meticulous....

Bill Squires
Bills Auto Transport

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Joop 05-05-2020 04:20 PM

On his profile page are pictures as mentioned before
He states bringing it home on a flatbed trailer
So he is on it's way