The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Body & Frame Connection (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262140)

Arty 04-20-2019 09:12 AM

Body & Frame Connection

3 Attachment(s)
I have a 31 coupe that I purchased partially completed. All the body blocks and connections are aligned, except for one. The mount at the front of the door only hits one of the frame mount holes. It seems the body block is bolted to the body correctly, but the two bolts do not align with the frame mount. Hopefully the pictures will better explain the issue.

Any help appreciated.

duke36 04-20-2019 09:40 AM

Re: Body & Frame Connection

other side comparison?

rocket1 04-20-2019 09:49 AM

It seems the distance between the bolts would be correct for the frame mount,I guess you don't have the old one,possibly someone on the barn could check out their car to help solve the problem.

Bob C 04-20-2019 10:25 AM

That is the way it should be for your car. From the Standards "The #3 body bolt attached at the front hole of the cowl support bracket and the #2 body bolt attached only through the running board shield".

Bob

Steve Plucker 04-20-2019 10:39 AM

Arty,

Here is the problem...You either have the wrong frame for your body OR the wrong body for your frame!

(You have a later frame than you do for your body)

Please look at this article and refer to Fig. 18.

http://plucks329s.org/pdf/frame/Evol..._Assembly2.pdf

Either get the right frame for your project OR move the front body mount forward so BOTH carriage bolts, left and right, match the assembly of the carriage bolt holes in the bracket. I would think you need BOTH carriage bolts to mate to the bracket properly to get good body/frame alignment and stabilization.

Although during the transsion period, you might get something like this that you have as stated by Bob C above.

Dennis Pereira 04-20-2019 02:24 PM

This is more of a question than an answer . But I think your body needs to move back one hole ?

Fwilkinson 04-20-2019 03:45 PM

I Have a 1931 roadster and a 1931 coupe. Both of them have the exact same blocks and body bolts as yours. The one hole on the frame is not used on the coupe or roadster body mounting. Both of my cars were never separated from the frame when I bought them.

Bill Cilker 04-20-2019 09:39 PM

According to the Restoration Guidelines, the cowl body bracket was moved back 2-3/8" on all frames in November 1930 to accommodate the Victoria and Slant window bodies. That is why you can only get one bolt in. Your frame is correct for all 1931 vehicles.

Steve Plucker 04-21-2019 07:58 AM

So guys, educate me here...are you saying that all 1931 Model A bodies fit on all 1931 frames/chassis as Arty's above with no exceptions?

Thanks.

Pluck

MickeyT 04-21-2019 12:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I currently have the body off my late '31 coupe. You can see from the pictures that the wood block sat squarely on the frame bracket with both holes matching up with the holes in the bracket.

Burgamot 04-22-2019 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am working on a late 31 fordor and having the same problem. When i was taking body off the frame i noticed only one bole in the cowl bracket had a bolt. when i had the body off i checked all the bolt hole locations against dimentions for a 30-31 tudor they matched up except for the two holes in the cowl. only one lined up. everything else did fit. what i did was to weld a angle iron ahead if the bracket. appears steve and bill were correct that the late frames were made for other bodies.did i do the right thing in adding another attach point or left it alone? (I tried to attach a photo of what i did but with my limited computer skill could not do it)

duke36 04-22-2019 10:15 AM

The Jan/Feb 1998 issue of the Restorer Magazine had drawings for body blocks locations, etc. (I don't have the coupe info, only the 4 doors.)

Arty 05-07-2019 07:40 AM

A late thank you, but much appreciated feedback from The Barn. I plan to removed the existing bracket and rivet it back to the frame 2 3/4" forward.

Much appreciated - Arty

Bob C 05-07-2019 10:43 AM

Why would you move the bracket when it is in the correct location now, see
posts 4,7 and 8.

Bob