The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   $10,000 Pyramid (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144873)

Brobrian 07-20-2014 12:48 PM

$10,000 Pyramid

How many of you read threads here on the Barn even though the topic doesn't relate to a problem you're currently having, just to see if you know a/the solution?
I liken this to the $10,000 Pyramid. The longer I read the responses from the Old Pros here on the Barn the more often I can guess what the solution will be to the problem posted. And, of course, I can find solutions to the problems that arise on my own cars a bit more quickly as well. Driving and fixing my cars is like the Model A practicum, while reading threads on the Barn is like taking night courses. They go together well.

mshmodela 07-20-2014 02:07 PM

Re: $10,000 Pyramid

As a 5 month owner, I check just about every thread --all new to me... So thankful for this site... I could not even start my car without it... Thanks all!

Terry,NJ 07-20-2014 02:16 PM

All the time! But certain subjects I've avoided learning too much! I prefer to wish problems away. Once in a while it actually works too.
Terry

C26Pinelake 07-20-2014 02:20 PM

As our knowledge level increases our comfort level does Likewise !
Wayne

Willie Krash 07-20-2014 04:11 PM

I have been working on cars since the 60's and throw my two cents worth into it. I'm a relatively new Model A owner so confine myself with general things so to speak.
It is amazing how easy it is to think thru the other guys problem, but whe it happens to me my brain goes to mush.

I changed the manifold gaskets on my T and it wouldn't start. Damn. No fuel pump but I better check and stick the tank. Didn't mess with the timer....Oh, turn the gas on at the carburetor. Still no start.

I turned the gas off at the tank (under the car too). It took me awhile to get there...
Yes I forgot and had to rethink why it wouldn't start...:D
Call me yo-yo.

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-20-2014 04:34 PM

aNYBUDDY's WELCOME to pICK MY brAIN?? IT'L ONLY TAKE ABOUT 5 MINUTES!
Bill W.

C26Pinelake 07-20-2014 04:37 PM

Willie Welcome to the yo-yo club. we have lots of members, some just won't admit it !
Wayne

Mike V. Florida 07-20-2014 10:54 PM

This is my facebook, I read them all and learn everyday. Remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

SeaSlugs 07-20-2014 11:30 PM

I browse and read most of them that ive had as a issue or ones that can potentially be an issue with mine. Never hurts to a a step ahead of future problems. I try to be helpful when i think i can help - sometimes Im wrong but i learn why i am.

I also like to read reviews on how well repro parts fit or dont fit, simple solutions to problems, easy to make specialty tools, and just getting everyones opinion on how to do something. Its like the ol saying theres more than one way to skin a cat - i like to learn a few ways and then choose one that suits my tool availability and what i know i can do.

Charlville 07-21-2014 02:15 AM

I agree, the Barn and the H.A.M.B have been a Godsend to me. I joined both some time before I bought my A. Being here in the UK it's been particularly valuable and led me to meeting up with a fellow Barner living 5 miles away, and then to join MAFCGB.

ursus 07-21-2014 02:46 PM

I have learned a lot from postings that don't initially seem that interesting to me. This is because the discussion can take a side trip down a rabbit hole that may lead to some very useful information. The occasional off-topic commentary may irritate some of us but it can also contain unique insights for others. That is, with the exception those recurrent irrigating contests over "what oil to use".