The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mitchell overdrive spline !!! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133534)

MARKA 03-08-2014 06:58 PM

Mitchell overdrive spline !!!

Thanks again for the previous advice I have received on Fordbarn.

I am proceeding with the rebuild of my rear end and I am trying to to a thorough job.

The double cone bearing race in the Banjo has been replaced also new bearings so the pinion preload must be set..

The car has a Mitchell overdrive and I am wanting to set the pinion preload as per "Tom Endy's Article.

The problem I have run into is trying to find the size of the 1/2 inch drive socket that will fit the Mitchel overdrive drive shaft spline.

I have a 1/2 inch drive beam torque wrench to do the job.

Does anyone know what size socket is required for the Mitchell spline and is it a six or 12 point socket ?

Thanks
Mark.

Tom Wesenberg 03-08-2014 07:12 PM

Re: Mitchell overdrive spline !!!

A half inch beam torque wrench most likely would be FOOT POUNDS, rather than INCH POUNDS.
For sure you don't want to mix them up.
My inch pound torque wrench is 3/8" drive. They also come in 1/4" drive.
If you have an inch pound torque wrench in 1/2" drive, it may have such a high reading that it might not be accurate or it might be hard to make out something like 10 inch pounds.

MARKA 03-08-2014 07:17 PM

Hi Tom ,
Yes the 1/2 drive beam torque wrench is in foot pounds . Thanks for alerting me to this.
I will need to get an inch pound one.
Do you know the size of the socket that will fit the Mitchell drive shaft spline ?

Tom Wesenberg 03-08-2014 07:27 PM

I don't know but Tom Endy likely does.

MARKA 03-08-2014 07:32 PM

Thanks Tom

Ford1931 03-08-2014 07:50 PM

I just set my rear end up with the Mitchell short drive shaft and ran into the same problem. What I did was tape a socket to the end of the shaft and then was able to use the inch pound torque wrench. Worked well.

MARKA 03-08-2014 07:54 PM

Hi Ford1931,
Thanks for the advice. I would never have thought of this as I would have thought that the torque would cause some movement at the joint where the tape is.
Did you use PVC electrical tape ?

Tom Endy 03-08-2014 09:38 PM

On a Mitchell stub shaft I put several wraps of duct tape around the spline and wedge a 36mm socket over it. The socket is a 1\2" drive so I have to adapt it down to my 1\4" dial indicator wrench. A 36mm socket is used on the rear axle nut of the old VW Bugs.

Tom Endy

redmodelt 03-08-2014 10:33 PM

Thanks from me also. I am in the middle of setting the same thing.

Ford1931 03-09-2014 12:03 PM

I used a socket very close to the diameter of the Mitchell shaft and used the green body paint tape to secure it. I think any tape would work because it doesn't take much to hold 20 inch pounds.