The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   53 Ford Master cylinder leaking (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193173)

LP 04-03-2016 11:27 AM

53 Ford Master cylinder leaking

I have recently purchased a 53 Ford Customline 4door with Flathead V8 3 speed.
I replaced the master cylinder and wheel cylinders.When I put the fittings back on the front of the master cylinder it leaks between the washer and master cylinder and between fitting.
I did not have new washers or the fitting itself. I know I have the parts in the proper order. Any help would be appreciated

51 MERC-CT 04-03-2016 12:31 PM

Re: 53 Ford Master cylinder leaking

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP (Post 1270222)
I have recently purchased a 53 Ford Customline 4door with Flathead V8 3 speed.
I replaced the master cylinder and wheel cylinders.When I put the fittings back on the front of the master cylinder it leaks between the washer and master cylinder and between fitting.
I did not have new washers or the fitting itself. I know I have the parts in the proper order. Any help would be appreciated

You can anneal the copper washer/s and re-use.
Heat the washer/s to red hot and immediately quench in cold water.
It may or may not do the trick but it has for me at various times.

Barry-ct 04-03-2016 01:00 PM

Any decent auto parts store (napa, carquest )usually has an assortment of these copper washers. bring the old ones and match them up.

FlatheadTed 04-03-2016 02:03 PM

Check the mating face were the washer sits against ,that its square and smooth .Just done one that the casting was rough so we faced in a lath ,Ted

Talkwrench 04-03-2016 07:34 PM

This maybe just the start of your problems.. Its great replacing wheel and master cylinders but remember its well over 50 years old and all those old brake lines are holding crap, this will now move into your brand new wheel cylinders and make sort work of them. Its well worth making new brake lines in older cars..

LP 04-04-2016 05:55 PM

I really appreciate all of the replies to my post. Now I have some things to try. I realize as Talkwrench said that this is only the beginning as this car had been sitting for many years. I will have many more questions, as this is my first flathead.

Frank Miller 04-04-2016 06:47 PM

I had a bitch of a time with the one on my 49. Found a crack in the brass junction block.

Barry-ct 04-04-2016 06:57 PM

Talkwrench has the right idea. Replace all the steel and rubber lines. Check the junction block for any cracks or imperfections. Replace anything you're in doubt of. Safety is the most important thing, for you and others.

4dFord/SC 04-04-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP (Post 1271155)
I really appreciate all of the replies to my post. Now I have some things to try. I realize as Talkwrench said that this is only the beginning as this car had been sitting for many years. I will have many more questions, as this is my first flathead.

Suggest wiring as the next item on your list. The safest route would be to replace it all.

ArcLighter 04-09-2016 08:45 AM

One of my next projects on my '53 will be:

DUAL BOWL MASTER CYLINDER CONVERSION part 1 of 3

DUAL BOWL MASTER CYLINDER CONVERSION part 2 of 3

DUAL BOWL MASTER CYLINDER CONVERSION part 3 of 3