The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How to make new belt line molding for my 53' Merc convertible (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292643)

Merc Cruzer 01-07-2021 05:29 PM

How to make new belt line molding for my 53' Merc convertible

12 Attachment(s)
Back on 11/29/20, I placed an add for belt molding with snaps for my 53' Mercury convertible, since mine has been sanded and polished so many times, they had pin holes in them. Not to my surprise, I didn't receive any offers.

I tried e-bay and found a set for $300 that were, in my opinion, beyond salvaging.

I had a theory that a set from a 53' Ford Crestline 2 door (no post), would work. I did find a set on e-bay (for $83.73 including shipping) and inquired as to the length and width. They were the same, except the ends on the Ford pieces were cut at an angle. Not an issue since the ends went under the side molding anyway. Due to their location on a coupe, they were totally undamaged. I have found Ford trim to be less expensive than Mercury trim.

I found snaps, that were mounted with pop rivets ($20, free shipping).

I ordered the belt line and snaps. After they arrived, I polished the belt line pieces. I took measurements from the original pieces, only to find the snaps were not mounted symmetrically from the center. I checked with a few people and they confirmed the original installation of the snaps varied considerably.

To find the center, I measured the opening of the rear window, and halved it, for the center location of the overlapping piece. I used the measurements from the drivers side and duplicated them on the passenger side. When I installed the pop rivets I put washers under the bottom for additional strength.

The pictures below include, my original set on the car, the set I found on e-bay, installation of the snaps, the passenger side before it was polished, taped to the car for mock up and establishing location, and the final product.

Total cost $103.73.

Zeke3 01-07-2021 07:19 PM

Re: How to make new belt line molding for my 53' Merc convertible

Great solution for replacing the molding. Also, I really like your car, it is a great example of an early fifties convertible, especially the color.

tubman 01-07-2021 07:23 PM

Excellent Job! Looks factory to me.

corvette8n 01-08-2021 08:13 AM

Great job.

mercman from oz 01-08-2021 03:29 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1610059009
Lovely car in a vert scenic location. Glad that you were able to replace that damaged belt molding with ingenuity. Good work.

53MERC 01-08-2021 08:51 PM

Roy,
You Sir always find a solution. Great job.
I remember you and Brenda telling me that if they don't make the part you have to improvise.
You have been a great help to me and my Merc.
I hope the three of you are doing great.

Merc Cruzer 01-09-2021 11:40 AM

Thank you all for the feedback. For many of us, the hobby has become very expensive, and many times prohibitive. The goal was to hopefully help someone, be able to use the information, to save a few dollars, and provide an alternative, with today's searches, for what has become, overpriced and impossible to get, parts.

Robz51 01-09-2021 12:59 PM

Always enjoy seeing pictures of your car Roy.
Rob

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Merc Cruzer 01-09-2021 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robz51 (Post 1972125)
Always enjoy seeing pictures of your car Roy.
Rob

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks, it was taken in front of the house, across the street, last fall. Just lucky to live in Colorado I guess.

For many of us, the hobby has become very expensive, and at times prohibitive. The goal was to hopefully help someone, be able to use this information, to save a few dollars, and provide an alternative, while searching for what has become too often, overpriced and impossible to get, parts.