The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is it common for radiator hoses to do this?... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309339)

Rusk 01-27-2022 05:15 PM

Is it common for radiator hoses to do this?...

3 Attachment(s)
Pulled this out of both upper radiator hoses on my '36. The water pumps and heads were full of bits, so I'm sure the block and radiator are too. Anyone else have this happen?

cas3 01-27-2022 05:36 PM

Re: Is it common for radiator hoses to do this?...

Just a wild guess, yes that would be very common....after they get about 60 years old

mercman from oz 01-27-2022 05:36 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...mp;d=164332166

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1643321668

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1643321668

Disintegrated Radiator Hose on Rusk's 1936 Ford V8 ??

DavidG 01-27-2022 07:27 PM

Your experience is a first for me with over seventy pre-WWII Fords.

Rusk 01-27-2022 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cas3 (Post 2099018)
Just a wild guess, yes that would be very common....after they get about 60 years old

Exactly. These are closer to 10 years old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 2099033)
Your experience is a first for me with over seventy pre-WWII Fords.

I don't have half that, but first for me too.

Not sure where these hoses came from, but I'm obviously not using them again. And that's if I didn't crack my block.

Brian 01-27-2022 08:07 PM

That's bad...how do the heads look electrolysis wise? The reason I ask is because that water pump impellor is very eaten away too...Almost looks like you've been running an acidic mix.

David J 01-27-2022 10:00 PM

Seen something like this in old John Deere tractors .
Looked to be some form of old sealent come loose .

Thermo siphon systems .

Hoses badly deteriorated also .

No water pumps .

Tudie 36 01-28-2022 01:15 PM

Off to check my hoses!

Mart 01-28-2022 01:46 PM

Rusk, it might be worth sharing some info, if known.

Origin of hoses. Where bought from, make and how old.

Coolant: What are you running? Water? Water/antifreeze(summer coolant). Water wetter? Odd non water stuff? (Evans)

I would imagine some new hoses and some flushing will get it back up and running. Good to document it as a warning to others though, even if it is impossible to say what has happened. The very fact that it has happened means others can be aware of it and look out for it.

Mart.

Rusk 01-28-2022 05:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 2099045)
That's bad...how do the heads look electrolysis wise? The reason I ask is because that water pump impellor is very eaten away too...Almost looks like you've been running an acidic mix.

The heads don't look bad. I believe they were resurfaced when the engine was rebuilt, approximately 2000 miles ago. I think the water pump is ok too. My pics make it look worse that it is. The impeller is smooth and there's minimal rust inside the housing.

I added a couple more pics. The head in the bottom of the picture was the side where the head gasket blew thanks to this junk clogging things up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 2099200)
Rusk, it might be worth sharing some info, if known.

Origin of hoses. Where bought from, make and how old.
Mart.

I'm not sure of the origin of the hoses, they were on the car when I purchased it. I've had it for 3 years, but I believe the restoration was done about 10 years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 2099200)
Coolant: What are you running? Water? Water/antifreeze(summer coolant). Water wetter? Odd non water stuff? (Evans)
Mart.

I'm not sure what the PO used, I believe antifreeze. I ran antifreeze and water, but it puked a few times before I added one of Skip Haney's valves on the overflow. I refilled it with water when it got low.

5851a 01-28-2022 06:05 PM

Not pointing fingers, but the jolly green giant that I work for switched brands of heater hoses from Gates to made in China, the difference in weight, feel and smell tells the tale. Nothing but problems. I have no doubt the Chinese can build a quality component, but they will along with many build to a price point. Be nice to know the point of origin and follow the bean counter trail. Sorry for rant, just my thoughts.

Brian 01-28-2022 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The impellor[s] should look like this if you expect the pump to move coolant

GB SISSON 01-29-2022 01:31 AM

I think Mazda had some problems with their rotor tips when they looked like the water pump in the above picture. I prefer yours. Haven't been getting passed by a lot of wankels this month. Edit:The above picture was meant to relate to the picture before the current 'above picture'. I was a bit late on the draw.

cmbrucew 01-29-2022 11:09 PM

Water soluble oil in coolant?

Bruce

aussie merc 01-30-2022 01:02 AM

think your on it bruce either that or super poor quality even for china feel sorry for" rusk" as its going to be an absolute nightmare to clean that out and just when you think you've got it bang out comes another lump would definatly be looking at fitting filters to the top hoses [easier than recleaning that radiator time and time again ]

Rusk 02-01-2022 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 2099294)
The impellor[s] should look like this if you expect the pump to move coolant

Oh, ok. This is my first early flathead, my other '36s had 59ABs. I'll be on the lookout for that style waterpump if this engine checks out ok.

Thanks, Bryan

Rusk 04-29-2022 04:02 PM

Just to follow up on this issue, I took my radiator to a shop to get boiled out. The veteran guy there immediately said oil in the cooling system will do that to the hoses. Not sure how it might have happened, but I know it won't in the future.

I had the heads checked and the side that blew ended up needing to be machined. I flushed the block, replaced the gaskets and buttoned it back up. Drove it today to let it heat cycle and re-torqued the heads. Seems to be cooling ok and runs nice, so it looks like I didn't hurt the block. Whew!

Bryan

deuce5wndw 04-29-2022 06:20 PM

Thanks for the follow-up and a lucky break for you!

Flathead Fever 04-29-2022 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbrucew (Post 2099618)
Water soluble oil in coolant?

Bruce

I was thinking water soluble oil too. My dad use to run it in his Model A's to lubricate the water pumps. I've seen hoses at work get real soft and gooey when the coolant gets oil contaminated but I'm never seen one disintegrate like that.