The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   KR Wilson Combination Machine Raising Block (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290235)

Smitty 11-15-2020 08:20 PM

KR Wilson Combination Machine Raising Block

Anyone know what purpose this serves? Have been using a combo machine without one.Seems fine.
S

redmodelt 11-15-2020 09:07 PM

Re: KR Wilson Combination Machine Raising Block

If it is what I think it is, would have been used when boring the cylinders, maybe not needed for doing the mains.

1930 coupe 11-15-2020 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You use it when boring cylinders, it raises the block up slightly to make the boring bar and drive bar line up properly

Smitty 11-15-2020 10:46 PM

Ah, I see
Has anyone used the Wilson machine to bore cylinders? I have not yet tried that feature. As I look at the Model A engine specs. it seems critical that everything is to specification and in the correct location.

1930 coupe 11-16-2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 1952678)
Ah, I see
Has anyone used the Wilson machine to bore cylinders? I have not yet tried that feature. As I look at the Model A engine specs. it seems critical that everything is to specification and in the correct location.

I have, it bores from the bottom up and leaves a very rough finish. You have to bore it out about .005 th undersize then smooth and bring out to final size with a precision cylinder hone I use a Sunnen hone. It is very slow, but if you have patience and the proper tools you can get very good results.

SAJ 11-16-2020 02:22 AM

1930 did you use a Sunnen portable hone or a Sunnen fixed honing machine? I just squared up worn cylinders by 0.009 inch with a 4 stone rigid portable and it was a lot of work. My arms nearly dropped off. It was an 83 mm bore too, so smaller than a Model A.
All turned out great with new pistons expanded to match each bore, for correct clearance.
I did it for fun to see if it would work. I started with 220 grit stones. Next time I will start with 150 and plateau with 320, and it might go quicker with less shoulder damage (to me not the bores!)
SAJ in NZ

Bruce of MN 11-16-2020 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 1952704)
new pistons expanded to match each bore, for correct clearance.

How do you do that?

Smitty 11-16-2020 07:36 AM

I have been using a Kwik Way bar but had often wondered about using the original KR setup.

John 11-16-2020 08:50 AM

The Model A engine bore is, if memory serves me right, 1/8" off center from what the Model T bore was. The plate is to raise the block to make up the difference when boring the cylinders.

SAJ 11-16-2020 05:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Bruce of MN,
I have a 1930's piston Koetheriser machine patented by Emil Koether. It squeezes the piston through the gudgeon bores into a more cammed shape, which is then set in by shot peening all around the gudgeon bossed inside the piston. There was a post showing one in a mobile truck by Old Car Mart on this forum a while ago. I expanded one piston 0.0095, another by 0.0055 and the other two by 0.004 inch. Engine now runs very quietly. Con rods were mismatched by 45 grams too. Evening-up both ends of all 4 rods by weight also made a big difference. Again not on a Model A, but a 2.5 litre English Riley.
SAJ in NZ

Bruce of MN 11-16-2020 05:38 PM

Very interesting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 1952925)
Hello Bruce of MN,
I have a 1930's piston Koetheriser machine patented by Emil Koether. It squeezes the piston through the gudgeon bores into a more cammed shape, which is then set in by shot peening all around the gudgeon bossed inside the piston. There was a post showing one in a mobile truck by Old Car Mart on this forum a while ago. I expanded one piston 0.0095, another by 0.0055 and the other two by 0.004 inch. Engine now runs very quietly. Con rods were mismatched by 45 grams too. Evening-up both ends of all 4 rods by weight also made a big difference. Again not on a Model A, but a 2.5 litre English Riley.
SAJ in NZ