The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Installing tires on Rims (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194655)

JohnB15632 04-21-2016 11:22 AM

Installing tires on Rims

2 Attachment(s)
Literature tells me that if my rims are extremely pitted or rough, it is recommended to use flaps instead of rim liners.

My rims are extremely rough, so I added rim flaps.

Question, do I install the rim flaps before or after installing the tires?

Tom Wesenberg 04-21-2016 12:34 PM

Re: Installing tires on Rims

Those flaps are for AA truck wheels, and not the Model A rims. Just use the regular band.

JohnB15632 04-21-2016 12:56 PM

I contacted the part supplier who assured me that the part number that I have is the correct flap for the model A wheel. There is a different flap part number for trucks, and a different flap part number for T's.

Thanks,

jeep44 04-21-2016 01:02 PM

I've wrapped rough rims with several layers of duct tape before

Tom Wesenberg 04-21-2016 01:09 PM

Do you feel any spots on your rims that could poke a hole in the tube? If you do then grind it smooth. I suppose you have a fair amount of money already invested in painting the wheels, and I think they will work OK with the common rim band, but I would have found some rims with less rust. I'd bet Bert's has some because the western states are so much better (drier) than those east of the Mississippi.

CarlG 04-21-2016 01:21 PM

That style of flap would need to be assembled with the tire/tube/flap prior to attempting assembly to the wheel. The flap ends need to be tucked into the tire.

J Franklin 04-21-2016 01:25 PM

Use the flaps it provides added protection. Your rims do look rough. I have coated some riveted rims (not A) with silicone rubber with a brush before using tubeless tires to avoid leaks and it has all worked well too.

J Franklin 04-21-2016 07:07 PM

If your wheels run true, and are in good shape otherwise, there would be no real sense in replacing them. Good wheels are hard to find and nobody will see the inside of the rim.

JohnB15632 04-21-2016 07:22 PM

My question still stands, do I install the tire after installing the flap? Or do I install the tire and then the flap?

Thanks,

glenn in camino 04-21-2016 07:33 PM

I take my new tires and restored rims to Big O tires. They install the tires without scratching the rims for $8 each.

goodoldvic 04-21-2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnB15632 (Post 1281515)
My question still stands, do I install the tire after installing the flap? Or do I install the tire and then the flap?

Thanks,

Put the tube in the tire, then the flap, then alittle air in the tube, then use a cheap plastic garbage bag to install the tire onto your rim. Do a search about this method for installing tires. You cover the rim with the bag, stick your tube valve stem into the hole and use a clamp to keep it from pulling out as your tire tube flap slide onto your rim. Work it around pushing both beads over the rim, ya gotta get the beads to set in the drop center of the rim when you start. I mount my rims on my spare tire carrier to use as a work platform. Works good. Good luck

jeep44 04-21-2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

I would take a tire, put the inner tube in it, and inflate it just enough to make it take shape, then tuck the flap in all the way around-then install the tire on the rim.

Rex_A_Lott 04-21-2016 08:09 PM

I think you're pushing the envelope on "pitted and rough". I'd want some better wheels. However, since you already have all that stuff, might as well give it a shot. If it were me, I'd use some 3M weatherstrip glue (Monkey Snot) and glue the flap to the wheel first, then just mount the tire and tube like normal. Good Luck

Pinesdune 04-21-2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

I used those flaps, I installed one bead of the tire on the rim, slipped the flap and the tube in the tire, got it in place, then pryed on the other tire bead over the rim and inflated. It's just how I did it, I won't say it was right/wrong/or ?, but thats how I did it and it worked fine. Did it on freshly powder coated rims, used an old heavy towel to protect the rim inn case the tire iron slipped.

ian Simpson 04-21-2016 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinesdune (Post 1281576)
I used those flaps, I installed one bead of the tire on the rim, slipped the flap and the tube in the tire, got it in place, then pryed on the other tire bead over the rim and inflated. It's just how I did it, I won't say it was right/wrong/or ?, but thats how I did it and it worked fine. Did it on freshly powder coated rims, used an old heavy towel to protect the rim inn case the tire iron slipped.

Until I moved to Canada I changed all my tyres by hand (car, truck, motorcycle and bicycle). The principle is the same on all of them: Just make sure that the other side of beads are kept down in the centre of the wheel as you slip the bead over (off and on) the rim. I used to be able to mount motorcycle tyres on expensive aluminium wheels using only my hands and no tyre irons. Arthritis now precludes this on the similar sized Model A tyres so I use tyre irons wrapped in many layers of tape.

For lube, I use a 50/50 mix of dish soap and water.

PS. I apologize for the UK spelling, but that is the way my computer is set up.:rolleyes:

RonC 04-21-2016 09:52 PM

This is how Ford installed tires and tubes
http://youtu.be/PflFp8Cdrzc

J Franklin 04-21-2016 10:23 PM

After the 1000th one you kinda get the hang of it!

Chuck Sea/Tac 04-22-2016 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC (Post 1281592)
This is how Ford installed tires and tubes
http://youtu.be/PflFp8Cdrzc

What tube????

Fullraceflathead 04-22-2016 12:49 AM

If you look closely in the beginning the tube is inside the tire partially inflated as you can see the valve stem sticking up.

Pinesdune 04-22-2016 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian Simpson (Post 1281587)
Until I moved to Canada I changed all my tyres by hand (car, truck, motorcycle and bicycle). The principle is the same on all of them: Just make sure that the other side of beads are kept down in the centre of the wheel as you slip the bead over (off and on) the rim. I used to be able to mount motorcycle tyres on expensive aluminium wheels using only my hands and no tyre irons. Arthritis now precludes this on the similar sized Model A tyres so I use tyre irons wrapped in many layers of tape.

For lube, I use a 50/50 mix of dish soap and water.

PS. I apologize for the UK spelling, but that is the way my computer is set up.:rolleyes:

Yes, that's how I do it (forgot to mention the soap :rolleyes:), and you only need the iron for the last 1/5 the tyre, I install all my tube type tyres with hand irons just so I don't pinch the tubes on my mechanical changer. And what's wrong with the spelling, it looks correct to me ;)