The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   mouse trap (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210552)

bambooboy 12-08-2016 07:26 PM

mouse trap

did something like this years ago. it works. http://www.homeandgardeningideas.com...ng-mouse-trap/ :D

Tom Wesenberg 12-08-2016 08:41 PM

Re: mouse trap

I have one, but haven't set it out yet. I did set out 2 of the Victor yellow plastic cheese paddle mouse traps, and caught 20 mice in the first three weeks. I put the dead mice in the middle of the yard and the birds and a fox take care of them. I set the traps just outside the front of the garage door and throw mothballs all around the inside of the garage.

captndan 12-09-2016 10:20 AM

Barn cat!

C26Pinelake 12-09-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captndan (Post 1396927)
Barn cat!

Barn cats dont like peanut butter and would tip the bucket over. Even if they did not tip it over you could only get one in a bucket! Wayne

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-09-2016 10:38 AM

Even SIMPLER, just get a RAT TERRIER.
Buster T. only eats .2 Lbs of food a day. (CHEEP!)
Bill Dogrescuerer

Cool Hand Lurker 12-09-2016 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yup, I use the Can & Bucket method but I stopped using peanut butter. It is messy and gets old, turns bad. Kind of like me...
I now put a bit of moisture on the can with a damp cloth and then dust it with flour. The mice like it just as much as peanut butter and it doesn't go bad. Hmmm.... I wonder if that is why my wife dusts me with flour every morning....

Back when the mice started coming inside, my grandson was setting traps in their basement without any bait and catching them every few minutes. He used the old-fashioned wooden spring hoop traps with the full width bait paddle. He placed the traps up against the baseboard with the bait paddle end against the wall. Mice tend to run along the baseboard so they would spring the traps as they ran past. Put 2 or 3 traps spaced along the wall and the odds are pretty good that one will be sprung.

ursus 12-09-2016 11:44 AM

I read somewhere of a trap based on an industrial shop vac and a motion sensor. The mouse enters the trap opening, trips the motion sensor, and is sucked out a side port and slammed against the wall of the shop vac. Some of them actually survive the ride. The motion sensor is networked to a device that shows each time the shop vac switch has been triggered.

Clydes 31 P/U 12-09-2016 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use 2 of the bucket traps under our camp trailer in the winter I use TomCat mouse attractant on the cans and also in the spring traps inside. Last winter I made the 2 1/2 hr trip to check the traps and check out the trailer(they don't plow the campground roads) I managed to get the Expedition stuck (poor judgement) and spent 2 hrs or so digging it out, walked the last 1/2 mile in and all was fine til I checked the traps in by the water heater, saw a trap tripped pulled it out and this is what came out... 1 mouse caught in 2 traps, right then I figured my day wasn't so bad after all even after getting stuck......

nhusa 12-09-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Barn cat!

Best mouse cat on earth!

pgerhardt 12-09-2016 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Barn cat!

X2

75 mice, 3 chipmunks, and counting. From the yard and surrounding woods. I have never seen one or evidence of one in the garage. The cat's sent keeps them away.

Big hammer 12-10-2016 12:58 AM

Instant potatoes and feed those mice! When those mice go and drink water, they explode as i have been told by a lady friend who doesn't want to kill cats with rat poison.

springerpete 12-10-2016 07:00 AM

I have two of the 5 gallon traps in use. It solves my problem. What more can I say.

RonC 12-10-2016 07:49 AM

Cheap and works

Robert/Texas 12-10-2016 09:57 AM

We had a huge rat snake living in our barn for years. When my wife was mowing and saw him sunning himself on the lawn, she ran over him with the garden tractor. I've spent a lot of money and time since then protecting my old cars and other stuff from the critters. Now she complains about the moth ball smell in my cars.

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-10-2016 10:42 AM

Watchin' a movie, Man came into someones'??? room, carefully removed a chunk of CHEESE, from a Mouse Trap, WITHOUT tripping it, ate it, chugged somebodys'??? WINE & LEFT quietly! I asked The Dog, "DID YOU SEE THAT"???
Bill W.

Jeff/Illinois 12-10-2016 12:09 PM

Our Maine Coon TomCat kills everything in site. Literally. I think he was a U.S. Marine in a previous life. (Gunny Sgt. played by R Lee Ermey from Full Metal Jacket ----- "God has a hard on for Marines, because we kill every-thing we see......"

I read recently that if you leave a pan of cat droppings in your garage, and the little invaders get a whif of the cat urine and droppings, they ske-daddle in a hurry because they think there is a cat in there. Seems to work in our old garage never have seen a mouse in there this year yet.

31ster 12-10-2016 09:42 PM

I made one for my buddy to use in his she'd with his zero turn mower, the mice kept eating the wiring. He's caught dozens of them, and the other day a red squirrel was in it. I'm not sure how it didn't get out but it drowned as well

Synchro909 12-10-2016 09:57 PM

I don't see a mouse from one year to the next. You guys live in the wrong place.:D

noboD 12-10-2016 11:29 PM

Yea, but you have BIG snakes!!

Synchro909 12-11-2016 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noboD (Post 1397686)
Yea, but you have BIG snakes!!

And lots of nasty spiders. This year, the mosquitoes are very bad. Lots of them and they are BIG. I saw one the other day that was painted in QANTAS colours.