The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   connector sleeve for choke rod (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288745)

toms32 10-16-2020 11:53 AM

connector sleeve for choke rod

Hi Guys ! I got the surprise of my life when I pulled on the choke for my 36 the the handle came off in my hand. When I looked underneath the dash I observed that the prior owner had used tape to keep the two rods together, I purchased the choke throttle connector sleeve from a ford parts dealer but in looking it over I can not see how the two pieces are held together with this piece. Can some one out there tell or show me how they solved this issue thanks tom

Viv W 10-16-2020 12:31 PM

Re: connector sleeve for choke rod

Hi Tom
I think in the factory the dashboard rubber grommet was fitted on the knob end and then that sleeve was crimped into place.
I also could not figure how to crimp it back together with a new sleeve, so in the end I drilled a hole thru the sleeve and the rod and have fitted it together with split pins about half the diameter of the choke rod. It works a treat.
Viv.

toms32 10-16-2020 12:32 PM

Many thanks Viv for the assistance Tom

feufeu 10-16-2020 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Tom, in my 37 there is a piece connecting the two parts of the rod. You can see it in the red circles on the picture (picture under dash).
Sorry for my english, i'm french!
I couldnt disassemble these rod but seems to be screwed...

feufeu 10-16-2020 12:41 PM

...or crimped as said Viv

Don Rogers 10-16-2020 12:42 PM

The rod pieces were originally crimped together using the metal collar. If you can't do that, then JB Weld them together using the collar

tubman 10-16-2020 12:53 PM

On a '36 I had years ago, they were soldered together. I heated them up with a big soldering iron and they came right apart. When it was time to put them back together, I used the same big iron to sweat them back together.

I'm not saying it's right; perhaps it was some former owners backyard repair, but I thought I'd pass on my experience.

Don 10-16-2020 01:50 PM

Drill and tap a set screw in sleeve!!

Tom-MI 10-16-2020 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What I did on my '35 was to thread the knob shaft and the connecting rod. Couple the two pieces together (the connector is a common hardware item). This allows you to align the knob writing, make an exact length and easy removal if needed.

Tom

rockfla 10-16-2020 02:36 PM

It's amazing how these can be such a pain in the ASS. I STILL haven't found anyone that can tell me how to affix the "choke knob" back onto the choke cable on my 39 Mercury. Didn't find much more luck with the same issue on my 32!!!! WHY the repro's aren't made to "somehow" work on stock applications without a minor in mechanical engineering!!!

oldford2 10-16-2020 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don (Post 1942206)
Drill and tap a set screw in sleeve!!

That is how I did mine
John

FlatheadTed 10-16-2020 07:16 PM

Go to a electrical shop get a large 1/8 Nickel , plastic covered wire joiner it has two set screws in it x 2 ,Not stock but ,!

oldford2 10-16-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlatheadTed (Post 1942328)
Go to a electrical shop get a large 1/8 Nickel , plastic covered wire joiner it has two set screws in it x 2 ,Not stock but ,!

Is it flexible like the rubber connector or is it straight? Straight won't work. the joint has to flex with the engine movement. Do you have a picture of it?
John

DavidG 10-16-2020 09:38 PM

I deliberately take them apart to have the non-knob portion re-cadmium plated and use the original connecting sleeve and if I can't get a tight enough crimp, I use JB Weld as Don recommends.

Rustyspokes 10-16-2020 10:18 PM

My fix was , went to a Shop for Nuts & Bolts, Got a long sleeve that was a 10/24 thread , threaded the Two Rod ends with a 10/24 Die (Carb end and the Dash Knob end) ,you can adjust the proper Rod lengths by turning the Threaded sleeve, then attach to the Carb. :)

glennpm 10-17-2020 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the same as RustySpokes

joe 1950 10-17-2020 09:46 AM

And that ends the lesson for today class. the Barn with out a doubt has to be the best place for old ford education great old american ingenuity