The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   V8 points and condenser question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176381)

30aadoodlebug 08-22-2015 02:18 PM

V8 points and condenser question

So a friend of mine I recently meet down the road from me has a model A. Unlike mine, which is set up with the standard issue model a distributer and points, his has the single v8 points and upper plate mounted condenser. He recently called me and told me that his truck was running rough and that he'd like it if I would take a look at. The truck was back firing quite a bit, and this lead me to check the points and the timing of the engine. Timing was not an issue, but how does one properly gap v8 points? My gut still tells me that it needs a condenser, but I don't want to give him false information before the points are properly gaped.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Kevin in NJ 08-22-2015 02:26 PM

Re: V8 points and condenser question

Modern condensors have been failing. People have complained at the Mustang site.

He is best to get the burn out proof condenser from A&L and then never worry.

1930artdeco 08-22-2015 02:27 PM

They can be a pain to adjust. Loosen the screw away from the cam 'just barely' and I mean just barely. Loosen the other screw a bit and then you can gap the points according to the book. When done retighten both screws and you are done. You are probably right in that it needs a condenser though.

Mike

MAG 08-22-2015 02:37 PM

Check for a .018 to .020 gap.
To adjust:
With the rubbing block on a cam lobe, loosen the mounting screw nearest the contacts. With a screwdriver, push the point assembly base toward the cam for a wider gap or away from the cam for a narrow gap.
A good replacement condenser can be bought at NAPA Parts Store.
Part number can be found by doing a search of this site.

Mitch//pa 08-22-2015 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
it may also have an issue with the lower plate wire grounding.
something to look out for are the wireless lower plates which can cause intermittents like a condenser

30aadoodlebug 08-22-2015 02:46 PM

Thanks all!

I'll give it a shot with the points, but I'm glad you all agree about the condenser.

Patrick L. 08-22-2015 03:15 PM

The cheap points and condensors are a real problem, the expensive ones from NAPA seem to be OK. Can't remember the numbers, but, they will in 'search'. But, usually, when a modern condenser is bad the engine won't run.
I think the newer modern plate is fine. By that I mean the 'wired' units of within the last 10 years or so. Like Mitch, I'm not a fan of the 'wireless' units as there are troublesome.
Its really not hard to adjust the points, set them to .020". The fellas have explained how and its not too bad to do. Practice makes perfect. Add some cam lube.
While the engine is running, work the spark lever and see if engine operation changes [ except for the normal change of advance/retard changes.].

mshmodela 08-22-2015 04:27 PM

My 31 has modern points and if you happen to have a clear top for the distributor, you may observes arcing at the points (which I had and was a bad replacement condenser). You might take a close look at the point contacts for signs of arcing... Mine had that... also everthing electrial starts with the battery, check each cell...