The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Won't Start when Warmed Up (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293035)

jwaldrich 01-15-2021 07:04 PM

Won't Start when Warmed Up

Anyone else ever have this problem and if so how did you fix it?

Turns over fine and starts up when cold.

Run to town (10 miles), shut it off, pick up whatever from the store, hop back in 5 minutes later and it TURNS OVER SO SLOW IT IS LIKE THE TIMING IS TOO FAR ADVANCED.

Once it has cooled off she starts up as advertised.

Screwed with the timing until I'm sure that isn't it.

Thoughts?

Jacksonlll 01-15-2021 07:12 PM

Re: Won't Start when Warmed Up

An easy thing to check is: next time it won’t start, pour about a half a bottle of water on the carb bowl. If that fixes it, your carb is getting too hot. Good luck.

jm29henry 01-15-2021 07:24 PM

Jack, that is why I love reading your replies ! Simple ,factual ,and honest good luck mr drich please let us know how it works out

jwaldrich 01-15-2021 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1974571)
An easy thing to check is: next time it won’t start, pour about a half a bottle of water on the carb bowl. If that fixes it, your carb is getting too hot. Good luck.

Will give it a try. Already have two phenolic spacers in there trying to prevent that very thing.

J Franklin 01-15-2021 07:50 PM

Maybe it would help better if you poured the cold water over the hot starting motor. I can't see how a hot carb would make it crank over too slowly.

jwaldrich 01-15-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1974571)

Brain fart.

How does that help the engine turn over like it does when it is cold?

bobbader 01-15-2021 09:30 PM

Could be a bad battery cable or cables. Age & corrosion could be one factor. They can look OK on the outside but heavily corroded under the insulation. Diameter of the cable is another problem. Starter cable should be #1 or #2 (Not #4 or 6 as on a modern 12V car). Poor or corroded ground to the chassis can also be to blame. Every so often, It's a good idea to remove the ground cable at the chassis and wire brush or sand the area around the mounting hole on the center crossmember. Should be nice, shiny bare metal to continue to be effective.

31 Woody 01-15-2021 09:32 PM

Sluggish to turn over hot?—I would check the ground cable at both ends—battery and frame connection. The frame connection is often overlooked. Similar to what bobbader said!

Mulletwagon 01-15-2021 10:01 PM

If not a cable/connection/battery problem might be a starter issue.

Terry Burtz, Calif 01-15-2021 10:59 PM

If a newly rebuilt engine, the piston to cylinder wall clearance may be too tight.

700rpm 01-15-2021 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Burtz, Calif (Post 1974647)
If a newly rebuilt engine, the piston to cylinder wall clearance may be too tight.

That was my problem with my coupe. The clearances mfg specified on current rings and pistons are incorrect for Model A, at least when sleeved back to standard.

jwaldrich 01-16-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulletwagon (Post 1974635)
If not a cable/connection/battery problem might be a starter issue.

New starter but I'll check the connections for corrosion.

marko39 01-16-2021 12:27 PM

You could check voltage to starter both cold and hot when it cranks slow. Should tell you where the trouble is or at least narrow it down.

Chuck Sea/Tac 01-16-2021 02:11 PM

Check your grds as well. It definitely is the cables, connections, or even tho new, the starter.
Just an after thought, your not overheating are you?

McMimmcs 01-16-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbader (Post 1974626)
Could be a bad battery cable or cables. Age & corrosion could be one factor. They can look OK on the outside but heavily corroded under the insulation. Diameter of the cable is another problem. Starter cable should be #1 or #2 (Not #4 or 6 as on a modern 12V car). Poor or corroded ground to the chassis can also be to blame. Every so often, It's a good idea to remove the ground cable at the chassis and wire brush or sand the area around the mounting hole on the center crossmember. Should be nice, shiny bare metal to continue to be effective.

I had the same problem exactly and newly cleaned cable connections and a new ground cable corrected it immediately.

Gene F 01-16-2021 06:43 PM

Likely causes. 1) starter is overamping. I have seen this many times in cars from the 60s, and 70s. 2) the battery sulfated? - not likely 3) try backing the cable that goes into the distributor out 1 and 1/4 turns or so. 4) corroded battery connection.

Does it start fairly easy with the hand crank when it gets fussy like this?

GENE

Big hammer 01-16-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwaldrich (Post 1974569)
Anyone else ever have this problem and if so how did you fix it?

Turns over fine and starts up when cold.

Run to town (10 miles), shut it off, pick up whatever from the store, hop back in 5 minutes later and it TURNS OVER SO SLOW IT IS LIKE THE TIMING IS TOO FAR ADVANCED.

Once it has cooled off she starts up as advertised.

Screwed with the timing until I'm sure that isn't it.

Thoughts?

Turns over so slow like the timing is too far advanced. You are retarding the timing with the hand lever before trying to start? Why I ask at car shows I see people leave the advance lever for running! I have gotten in the habit of moving the levers up, gas off, and after the carburetor runs out of gas I turn the key off.

dansluck 01-16-2021 09:57 PM

If it does it again , place your hand on coil and check if it is hot. Defective coils act like that, also check the battery cables. Could be both.

700rpm 01-16-2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansluck (Post 1974973)
If it does it again , place your hand on coil and check if it is hot. Defective coils act like that, also check the battery cables. Could be both.

I’ve had this coil problem also.

Anteek29 01-16-2021 10:55 PM

"TURNS OVER SO SLOW IT IS LIKE THE TIMING IS TOO FAR ADVANCED."

Hmmm...tells me the problem resides in the electrical system or perhaps tight engine clearances - not ignition!