The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What type of Fan Blade do you recommend (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285997)

GerryAllen 08-22-2020 11:44 AM

What type of Fan Blade do you recommend

Folks, not good at searching previous threads.
My question is, what type of fan blade do you recommend, standard blade, 4 blade, plastic 6 blade, aluminium type blade. I have a steel blade and am worried about it going through the rad / hood.
Thank you in advance for your responses.
Gerry Birch Bay WA

springerpete 08-22-2020 11:49 AM

Re: What type of Fan Blade do you recommend

You will get lots of responses but my guess is most of them will be to stick with what was original, the two blade fan. I think that the aluminum 2 blade is what most suppliers offer now. I've had mine since 2011. Bill

Patrick L. 08-22-2020 11:53 AM

The new 2 blade.

There were some problems with the older 2 blades.

WHN 08-22-2020 11:57 AM

You don’t want the old blade to break while the engine is running. Been there, done that.

I replaced with the two blade aluminum and also replaced the water pump with a leakless.

No problems since.

Enjoy.

Purdy Swoft 08-22-2020 12:24 PM

I've had both the original two blade fan and the later four blade fans to break . I now only use the balanced aluminum two blade fan that is offered by most model A parts vendors .

Tom Endy 08-22-2020 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We just received a two-blade aluminum fan from Bratton's for my grandson's 30 Tudor. I have a precision static balance checker and it was dead on. It also fit over the font of the pump without contacting the casting.

On the balancer you give it a spin and it should come to rest with the blades straight across and it does it every time.

Tom Endy

David R. 08-22-2020 02:08 PM

My AA has a stamped steel 4 blade that except for some rust patina looks real sturdy. Did Ford use these on trucks or is it a replacement?

Patrick L. 08-22-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R. (Post 1922878)
My AA has a stamped steel 4 blade that except for some rust patina looks real sturdy. Did Ford use these on trucks or is it a replacement?

The original [?] 2 blade cracked as did the 4 blade [ which I liked].
The older 2 blade aluminum repo's had some contact and taper issues.
The new ones seem to be fine.
I believe the 4 blades are old replacements.

Mulletwagon 08-22-2020 03:19 PM

Aluminum 2-blade is the way to go. May have to do some minor filing on the water pump snout to eliminate slight interference - no biggie.

Charlie Stephens 08-22-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R. (Post 1922878)

The four blade was introduced in 1933 for the 4 cylinder. It became the dealer replacement for 1928-1934 Fords. The part number is 46-8600 and you can find it in the Green Bible.

Charlie Stephens

Werner 08-22-2020 04:19 PM

Balanced 2-blade alu-prop.

Bob Bidonde 08-23-2020 07:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I use these fans, an aluminum reproduction 2-blade, and a Dave Wilton plastic 6-blade. Both work very well.

McMimmcs 08-23-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulletwagon (Post 1922903)
Aluminum 2-blade is the way to go. May have to do some minor filing on the water pump snout to eliminate slight interference - no biggie.

I totally agree. If you Research previous posts you will see this is the choice of most !

Hoogah 08-23-2020 09:37 AM

Well, that was resolved much easier than the "oil" question!!

David R. 08-23-2020 01:43 PM

Thanks Charlie, I’ll look it up.

GerryAllen 08-23-2020 04:50 PM

If I were to ask "So whats the oil question?" Would it start something :>)))

rotorwrench 08-23-2020 05:21 PM

I've got a long history with balancing rotors of all types and would like to add that a rotor that is properly balanced can be placed in any position of the clock and it should not move when static balancing on knife edges or rollers with a mandrel. If it stops only in one position every time then the bottom edges are heavier than the top. Gravity will not lie to you. There can be both span wise imbalance and chord wise imbalance.

shew01 08-23-2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerryAllen (Post 1923344)
If I were to ask "So whats the oil question?" Would it start something :>)))

Lots of folks have very strong opinions about the weight of oil, brand of oil, type of oil (conventional versus synthetic), oil change intervals, etc.

Oil threads tend to be long winded....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McMimmcs 08-23-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shew01 (Post 1923410)
Lots of folks have very strong opinions about the weight of oil, brand of oil, type of oil (conventional versus synthetic), oil change intervals, etc.

Oil threads tend to be long winded....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And nothing ever gets resolved!

Synchro909 08-23-2020 07:58 PM

Seems to me the oil question will never be resolved so will remain a contested topic while some try to convince themselves they are right by loudly telling everyone else what they use. The other issue (and this is from someone who lives in a country where cars don't have titles) is what seems to me to be a horribly convoluted and difficult to negotiate bureaucratic nightmare.
How did we get here from fan blades???:confused::rolleyes: