The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fog light location (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271664)

[email protected] 10-27-2019 08:00 AM

Fog light location

Hi,

I bought a pair of (correct) fog lights at Hershey a few weeks ago. I will be installing them on my 48 Mercury convertible. They mount on the filler panel between the bumper and the grill. Does anyone know how far apart they should be? If the distance between them is too close or too far, they will look weird. Any thoughts on the best distance between them?

Thanks!

Bill in Conn.

Kube 10-27-2019 08:24 AM

Re: Fog light location

Bill, I am confident someone with a lot more knowledge of 48's will weigh in here.
I think the correct lamps mount above or directly next to the bumper arms and are supported via the mounting hardware by the arms.
It seems difficult (to me) to believe they would simply mount on the metal pan.

Gary in La. 10-27-2019 09:14 AM

The correct fog light brackets have a clamp that clamps on to the bumper arm. Many times the lights are sold missing the brackets or have the wrong generic type.

Kube 10-27-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary in La. (Post 1814539)
The correct fog light brackets have a clamp that clamps on to the bumper arm. Many times the lights are sold missing the brackets or have the wrong generic type.

Thanks for coming forward with your expertise. What you posted is exactly what I thought.

[email protected] 10-27-2019 11:20 AM

Thanks! I don't have the brackets but I can make two. The extra support with brackets makes sense to hold them tight. It also tells me where to position the lights. As always, really appreciate the help!

Bill

blucar 10-27-2019 12:41 PM

The correct mounting brackets are the most important part of accessory driving/fog lights. The correct brackets generally clamp onto the bumper bars, then the lights bolt onto the brackets.
Generally there are several good bracket sets listed on eBay..

Gary in La. 10-27-2019 02:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Again, beware of the generic fog light brackets on Ebay which are usually a cast version the doesn't sit below the front pan to support the light. The correct ones are a 90 degree bend and have a backing plate that sandwiches the bumper bar. I've had several sets but I can't locate a picture. Below is a picture of the backing plate that is used. this will give you some idea of what to look for.

slowforty 10-27-2019 10:06 PM

Years ago the Late Great Lloyd Duzell Restored a 48 Mercury convertible with Fog Lights mounted in the outer ends of the grille. I twas supposed to be a Rare accessory

[email protected] 10-28-2019 06:11 PM

Thanks again for all of the input. It is great information.

Bill