The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Oil-Filled Condenser Mounting Orientation, Mallory 'Trashcan' (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287969)

1930-Pickup 09-30-2020 02:19 PM

Oil-Filled Condenser Mounting Orientation, Mallory 'Trashcan'

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up this large NOS Mallory 'trashcan' type oil-filled condenser.
By all indications, this will be the last condenser this Model A will ever have.

I intend to connect it at the ignition coil, and mount it behind the firewall.

Being oil-filled, I was wondering if there is a mounting orientation requirement.

Oil-filled ignition coils (transformers) have a mounting orientation requirement, and maybe capacitors do too? When I google this question, I get a wide range of answers, from "no orientation requirements" to "orientation is critical". Ah, the internet :confused:

Is someone familiar with oil-filled caps? Hoping to hear from someone in the industry (or is very experienced) who has knowledge regarding Design Intent and Good Servicing Practices.

Construction:
Non-polarized terminals (+ and Grd).
0.25MF
1500 VDC
Can is not grounded.

rotorwrench 09-30-2020 06:39 PM

Re: Oil-Filled Condenser Mounting Orientation, Mallory 'Trashcan'

I've replaced a bunch of motor start capacitors that blew all their oil out. They were made to start a motor turning on AC power so they generally don't have a very long duty cycle. It may last a long time and it may not. Nothing electrical lasts forever.

30 Closed Cab PU 10-01-2020 08:03 AM

Try calling Mallory or pose your question if they have a website, or one of their distributors.

jetmek 10-01-2020 08:15 AM

Dont know what your photo is but Thats not like any of the old mallory condensors ive run across And to best of my knowledge they weren't oil filled. Ive seen many split open from age. No oil comes out

katy 10-01-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Being oil-filled, I was wondering if there is a mounting orientation requirement.
If'n in doubt, mount it terminals up.

midgetracer 10-01-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1937040)
Try calling Mallory or pose your question if they have a website, or one of their distributors.

Mallory is owned now by a large automotive conglomerate and calling customer service gets you no help. Lucky to only get a price.

Jim Brierley 10-01-2020 11:35 AM

Coils are mounted so the terminals are submerged in oil, I would assume a condenser would be the same???

Pete 10-01-2020 06:52 PM

I have run them in all positions and they never leaked.
If it leaks, get rid of it.
Another note, many of that type of old capacitors were filled with oil that had PCB (polychlorinated biphenyl) in it. It won't eat your hand off but should be well washed off if come in contact with.

1930-Pickup 10-01-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1937247)
I have run them in all positions and they never leaked.
If it leaks, get rid of it.
Another note, many of that type of old capacitors were filled with oil that had PCB (polychlorinated biphenyl) in it. It won't eat your hand off but should be well washed off if come in contact with.

Many thanks Pete :)

1930-Pickup 10-05-2020 01:11 PM

Thanks to those who contributed to this thread

To close out this thread...

The original question was:
"I was wondering if there is a mounting orientation requirement (for oil-filled capacitors)"?

Results:
There were several opinions based on experience, but most of the opinions conflicted with other opinions. These results are similar to a general internet search. There was no definitive answer in this case.

Comments:
None

redmodelt 10-06-2020 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The trash cans type that I have seen look like an old fashion trash can with a large lid and would have been single lead. When I google that description in the title, what I see are non automotive condensers. But if it will work. This photo is of what I would call an automotive type Mallory trashcan;

Purdy Swoft 10-06-2020 11:23 AM

The later Mallory dual point distributors that I use work good with the same condenser that is offered for the later V8 points .

1930-Pickup 10-06-2020 04:23 PM

When GM first came out with their "alternatively connected" side-terminal battery, many people must have been very confused and rejecting of the entire idea.

redmodelt 10-07-2020 10:32 PM

Have you asked over on HAMB? There might be a better chance of someone knowing over there or on the Early V8 forum if you haven't or ask Bubbas ignition
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=3183

1930-Pickup 10-07-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1939326)
Have you asked over on HAMB? There might be a better chance of someone knowing over there or on the Early V8 forum if you haven't or ask Bubbas ignition
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=3183

understood