The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Patina makes this too good to restore? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271153)

M2M 10-19-2019 08:46 AM

Patina makes this too good to restore?

https://img123.s3.amazonaws.com/2017...f84dc5c804.jpg

77Birdman 10-19-2019 08:53 AM

Re: Patina makes this too good to restore?

Sorry, looks like plain ole rust to me!

Patrick L. 10-19-2019 09:10 AM

I'd drive the heck out of that monster. I'd try to figure out a way to keep the tire stickers intact. [smiley face]

Mulletwagon 10-19-2019 09:20 AM

Unless you have been offered a part in the remake of "The Grapes of Wrath", a factory fresh rebuild would be awesome.

rotorwrench 10-19-2019 09:23 AM

Jethro, you need to rub some more coal oil on there.

Joe K 10-19-2019 09:34 AM

MANY "barn finds" come into this category - "seasoned veterans."

Rather than a complete do-over, "original" is prized above all else . Do the minimum necessary to make it safe and inspectable for the road, replace with new only after proper "aging" to make it harmonious with the rest, and KEEP IT FOREVER. Or at least pretend you are.

Comes to mind a roadster mentioned on this board. Someone replaced the doors with new Brookville doors, but painted the exterior of the doors to look like the rest of the car, including the spots of rust which were "simulated." Even put on the originally found door trim after doing some inconspicuous repair work and possibly an "alternate attachment."

The object is to "keep it functional" - and as original as possible.

Someone said - "They're only original once." Well - we can "help it along" a little can't we?

Joe K

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-19-2019 09:37 AM

Not something I would enjoy driving.

Dick Steinkamp 10-19-2019 09:39 AM

It's amazing that after all these years...and being a big truck...that the body isn't all dented and torn :cool:

I wouldn't have the guts to restore it. I'd leave it cosmetically as is and go through the mechanical systems so that it runs, drives, and stops like it should and that everything works properly.

ronn 10-19-2019 09:42 AM

that aint be no patina, but it be soon rot!

Joe K 10-19-2019 09:44 AM

Note the Gas Cap. This is one of those "transitional" trucks with the Borg Warner 4 speed, a BW rear end, and made between Jan '30 and June '30.

VERY desirable if it has a high speed rear end. It may have an aluminum tag on the BW rear end 7-36?

Joe K

BillEbob 10-19-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe K (Post 1811266)
MANY "barn finds" come into this category - "seasoned veterans."

Rather than a complete do-over, "original" is prized above all else . Do the minimum necessary to make it safe and inspectable for the road, . . .

Joe K

What’s “inspectable” mean?

Badpuppy 10-19-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe K (Post 1811271)
Note the Gas Cap. This is one of those "transitional" trucks with the Borg Warner 4 speed, a BW rear end, and made between Jan '30 and June '30.

VERY desirable if it has a high speed rear end. It may have an aluminum tag on the BW rear end 7-36?

Joe K

1929 headlight buckets w/strange mounting. Buckets possibly original, knowing Henry's practices.

Rust itself is a good rust preventer, provided it's not submerged (e.g., inside door). Give it a good wax job and preserve history, I say.

leo 10-19-2019 10:35 AM

Interestingly....what's with the new tires?

Jim Brierley 10-19-2019 11:12 AM

Headlights are aftermarket, makes no difference to me, I wouldn't drive that piece of crap anywhere!

frank mcdaniels 10-19-2019 11:55 AM

I sure hope whoever drives it can see through the “patina” on the windshield.

MickeyT 10-19-2019 12:00 PM

Looks to be modern in at least one respect it appears to have a nice sun roof.

J Franklin 10-19-2019 12:01 PM

I for one like it! It has character.

corvette8n 10-19-2019 12:28 PM

Clear coat it, make it drivable, enjoy.

Pmsqrd 10-19-2019 01:41 PM

Love the patina. They are only original once. Good rubber and restored mechanics and electrical with a nice seat, backrest, and windshield and off you go.

old31 10-19-2019 01:44 PM

For me it is already 100 % restored with that front left tire! Fill it up with gas and just drive into the sunset.

Ak Sourdough 10-19-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo (Post 1811296)
Interestingly....what's with the new tires?

With that much rust, it's likely the tires were rotted to rags. A couple new nuts too.

If it were mine, I'd continue with mechanical repairs and leave it basically original, but see that it lives under a roof from now on. My Tudor was bought by my dad in 1954 and used as his daily driver for 5 or 6 years before going in a shed from then on. Taken out and used a few times a year, but still just a used driver from the 50's. I won't change the appearance of mine.

Purdy Swoft 10-19-2019 02:22 PM

I really like it !!! It looks better than most of mine when I got them .

I was able to do all the work on mine

. I've got a rusty June 29 tudor named Gus .

Gus looks like solid rust .

If I use a scotch brite pad with water I can scuff off the rust and expose original paint .

Rust can penetrate from the metal through the paint . That's not to say that all of the rust can be removed in that manner or that it will work on every application .

The rust looks pretty solid and the scotch brite method probably would have little or no effect on your truck.

I just thought I would mention the possibility for anyone who may be interested.

Of course this wouldn't be restoration . This would help clean off some of the character without removing it all .

Mad Mac 10-19-2019 04:23 PM

Please don't confuse rust with "patina". Anyone who thinks its a good idea to leave rust on a Model A (or any vintage car) must not not live in a wet climate like mine. Rust is the enemy!

thom 10-19-2019 05:22 PM

Restore it!

John Dayhuff 10-19-2019 05:29 PM

Keep it cosmetically like it is, it's perfect!!

raybee 10-19-2019 07:13 PM

I would get it safe to drive and have a ball with it. I would leave the sheet metal patina as is, no scotch brite or clear coat. That truck will draw 10 times the attention that it would if restored. I like it. Ray

M2M 10-19-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom (Post 1811454)
Restore it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dayhuff (Post 1811458)
Keep it cosmetically like it is, it's perfect!!

I love this forum!

J Franklin 10-19-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1811505)
I love this forum!

Almost akin to politics!

daren007 10-19-2019 09:19 PM

Picked up our van after all four tires were replaced. All four tires had the stickers on them. Never went back.

burner31 10-19-2019 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ain't old, I just have patina...got it?

Gold Digger 10-19-2019 11:26 PM

I have a 1930 AA that the paint is faded and gone in places. Those places that are bare have lite rust on them and I keep it inside and give it a coat of WD40 every year to keep it from doing any further damage to the metal. A few years back some movie people came to our Model A meeting looking for cars and trucks for a movie. One person had a AA that was restored to like new. They wanted all of us that wanted to participate send them pictures of our cars and trucks. They chose my truck over the restored one.

40 Deluxe 10-20-2019 12:46 AM

Hmmm, just learned something! Here I was under the assumption that A's and AA's originally came from the factory with paint on them! Yet, I see comments to the effect that "they're only original once", so 'do not paint this truck'! Rust is "original"?? Who knew?

37 Coupe 10-20-2019 08:28 AM

If you are going to leave it like it is please do not use the most overused term aside from "barn find".Many use the excuse " leaving it as Henry built it",Henry would never had cars or trucks leave the factory with surface rust or dented fenders or rodent eaten seats. He would roll over in his grave but he already did that years ago when the first Chevy V8 went into one of his early Fords.

gad62 10-20-2019 08:52 PM

Id drive it and be proud!! Clean it up ,make it safe and drive the wheels off of that beauty!!

dumb person 10-21-2019 11:08 PM

Linseed oil might protect it for a while, if you don't mind it going darker over time.

Oldbluoval 10-22-2019 05:11 PM

Looks like I see daylight inside from the roof. Don’t drive in the rain!
I think I would worry about what falls off while driving
To each his own.....not for me!

aermotor 10-22-2019 06:43 PM

Brush coat with unthinned Penetrol.

John

Chris Haynes 10-22-2019 07:23 PM

Did someone say Patina?
https://i412.photobucket.com/albums/...psjd6ytksi.jpg

M2M 10-22-2019 10:45 PM

That's Fake News Patina :D I can see lots of brown primer there; look at the seat backrest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1812709)

Chris Haynes 10-24-2019 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1812781)
That's Fake News Patina :D I can see lots of brown primer there; look at the seat backrest.

What you are looking at is the bottom of the seat panel over the gas tank that is in the open position. There is no primer of any kind anywhere on that car. It is all genuine Ford rust.