The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   9 years 7 months, new friendships and unboken promise (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166365)

John Duden 04-13-2015 10:32 PM

9 years 7 months, new friendships and unboken promise

4 Attachment(s)
Dad and I brought my truck home in the fall of 2005 as our project, i helped buy it at the age of 8 by collecting aluminum cans. When we brought it home Dad told me that we would restore it so i could take it to the senior prom.( at the age of 8 girls were the last thing on my mind when i got my truck) We lost dad to a shop accident in the summer of 2006, leaving a big hole in all of our lives, bringing Grandpa and I closer together. We worked on it and made great progress. I Met Don Turly here on the Ford Barn, and without his help this truck would not be anywhere near where it is at now. He has been my "mentor" "advisor" fininacial assistence, and the "kick in the pants" to get my butt in gear:D. I really dont know how i would have ever accomplished it with out him.
Grandpa and worked on it alot together, and his time came and he passed. This truck is restored to the best of my ability for them. And i never gave up on our goal of haveing it done for the senior prom, which is in 2 weeks. All i have left is to assemble the stake rack and get the monkey suit on!
Thank you All and for the encourgement, help, and friendships i have picked up along the way!
John

Fordors 04-13-2015 10:39 PM

Re: 9 years 7 months, new friendships and unboken promise

Fine job John, you can be proud. And I'm sure Dad and Grandpa are looking down and smiling on you.

H. L. Chauvin 04-13-2015 10:41 PM

Wonderful people, wonderful story, wonderful truck.

zzlegend 04-13-2015 10:46 PM

Wow John. A lot of sadness and happiness and still a great outcome, thanks to you, and Dad and Grandpa. Good luck with the prom and hope you find a date that likes old trucks as much as you. Mark.

C26Pinelake 04-13-2015 10:56 PM

John. Let me assure you that you won't be riding alone on that trip. Rest assured that Dad and grandpa are sitting on the back. With feet dangling down telling each other ow proud they are of you. Good work my friend and enjoy the prom. It only happens once in your lifetime. I would be happy and proud to buy your boutineer on behalf of your dad and grandpa ! Please send me a private message with your address. Wayne.

John Duden 04-13-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C26Pinelake (Post 1068578)
John. Let me assure you that you won't be riding alone on that trip. Rest assured that Dad and grandpa are sitting on the back. With feet dangling down telling each other ow proud they are of you. Good work my friend and enjoy the prom. It only happens once in your lifetime. I would be happy and proud to buy your boutineer on behalf of your dad and grandpa ! Please send me a private message with your address. Wayne.

Correction, grandpa had a wooden leg! We always joked and laughed with him.
And thank you for the kind offer, everything is all taken care of by her mother,

jax55 04-13-2015 11:22 PM

John, congratulations on the truck and making it in time for the prom. I know the feeling of loss, as I lost my Father and Grandfather early too. But as said previously, they will be with you on your journey not only to the prom but all through life.

Tom Wesenberg 04-13-2015 11:33 PM

That is a beutiful restoration job John. Your dad and grandfather would be proud.:):)

buddyholley19 04-13-2015 11:43 PM

Great story kid you should be proud . Love the truck think of your family when you drive it ..........Gord

Barber31 04-14-2015 12:05 AM

I'm sure they would of been proud of you even if you didn't finish it in time. That's pretty awesome that you did though. Things like this only make me wonder what other stories do we not know about our cars past.

Brentwood Bob 04-14-2015 12:33 AM

Class A accomplishment. Carry on. Bob

BILL WILLIAMSON 04-14-2015 01:25 AM

KEEP ON TRUCKIN, John!
Bill W. & The Dorg

RUNNERBUN 04-14-2015 01:35 AM

Congratulations on your achievement, more special considering your young age. Your Father & Grandfather will be very proud of you. The world needs more like you. I'm sure there will be four people on that truck as you go to the Prom. Your Father and Grandfather will be there with you and your partner.
I suspect there will be a little tear in the corner of your eye as you arrive at the Prom.
Enjoy your night.
Runner

Ron in Quincy 04-14-2015 03:07 AM

You have done a fine job of restoration, your Dad and Grandfather would and are very proud of you, as are all of us here on the Ford Barn.

Hope you enjoy the Prom and meet some fine young lady who also likes the A's.

Enjoy the hobby and all the wonderful people you will meet in the future.

Congratulations,

Ron

cradlescyth 04-14-2015 04:33 AM

ejoy the prom !!!!

Ron Lachniet 04-14-2015 05:30 AM

Your prom date is a very lucky young lady, not only for the ride in great truck but going with a very mature young man with true character. Best wishes on your prom. My prayer is that my granddaughter meets a guy like you for prom.

Hoogah 04-14-2015 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Lachniet (Post 1068648)
Your prom date is a very lucky young lady, not only for the ride in great truck but going with a very mature young man with true character. Best wishes on your prom. My prayer is that my granddaughter meets a guy like you for prom.

X2! My sentiments exactly!!
Not sure that many young blokes would want their dad and grandpa along for the ride when they're taking their date home :eek:, but I reckon you're different, John.
I admire what you've done and your motivations for finishing the project under what have been difficult circumstances. Many would envy the wonderful relationship you had with your dad and your grandpa.
Enjoy the prom.

Redbird 04-14-2015 06:34 AM

Of course we will want to see pictures.

Mitch//pa 04-14-2015 06:35 AM

John great job, the truck really looks outstanding. being in a very similar situation as you at the age of 10 i can relate and know exactly how you feel. believe me they are very proud of the man that you have become and what you have accomplished. through out life some strange and very good things will happen to you and you will know its from the both of them lending you a hand.
A special thanks to Mr. Don Turly you are to be commended and may good things return your way.
Have a great time at the prom

BudP 04-14-2015 06:39 AM

John,

This is just one of many lifetime achievements you will have because you have the character, integrity and grit within you to accomplish anything you put your heart and mind to. Congratulations!