The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Jacksonville Assembly Plant... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157584)

Steve Plucker 12-22-2014 08:01 PM

Jacksonville Assembly Plant...

The first Model A Ford out of the Jacksonville Assembly Plant was a Sport Coupe on May 10, 1928.

Getting closer! 13 to go!

Red is "possible" date only and NO article to support the opening (6);
Chicago, Denver, Milwaukee, Norfolk, San Francisco, Seattle.
Black is NO date and NO article to support the opening (7).
Buffalo, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, Los Angles, St. Louis.

Anybody????
Pluck

Nabco 12-22-2014 08:36 PM

Re: Jacksonville Assembly Plant...

Pluck, do you have the info you need on Columbus, if not I may be able to help, I have a good friend that has worked in the newspaper industry in Columbus for a lot of years.

Let me know what you do know and I'll try to get you the rest.

Nick

Steve Plucker 12-22-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabco (Post 1002801)
Pluck, do you have the info you need on Columbus, if not I may be able to help, I have a good friend that has worked in the newspaper industry in Columbus for a lot of years.

Let me know what you do know and I'll try to get you the rest.

Nick

Nick,

That would be great.

Here is all I know about the Columbus plant...Sometime between May 27, 1928 and October 1, 1928, the plant opened for Model A Ford production.

Thanks Nick.

Pluck

Nabco 12-22-2014 09:53 PM

OK, that narrows the search a little, I'll reach out to my friend, I'm sure he'll put one of his researchers on it...

Nabco 12-26-2014 09:05 AM

Got some interesting anecdotal information on the Columbus plant from my father-in-law theis week who I got my car from.

In 1931 when he was 8 years old his father purchased a Model A school bus, they lived in southeastern Ohio about 70 miles from Columbus. He said a car salesman from Columbus drove down to their house to pick them up to bring them up to Columbus to pick-up the bus, he went along with his father. Could not remember the exact car he was driving but said it was a Model A for sure with a big back seat because he remembered sitting back there by himself. They got to the factory to get the bus and drove it home...he said he sat on the step looking out the window in the door all the way home.

Sure would be nice to have that bus today, his last memory of it was. The early 40's when the school system took over the busing of the kids and his father donated it.

Steve Plucker 12-26-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabco (Post 1004607)
Got some interesting anecdotal information on the Columbus plant from my father-in-law theis week who I got my car from.

In 1931 when he was 8 years old his father purchased a Model A school bus, they lived in southeastern Ohio about 70 miles from Columbus. He said a car salesman from Columbus drove down to their house to pick them up to bring them up to Columbus to pick-up the bus, he went along with his father. Could not remember the exact car he was driving but said it was a Model A for sure with a big back seat because he remembered sitting back there by himself. They got to the factory to get the bus and drove it home...he said he sat on the step looking out the window in the door all the way home.

Sure would be nice to have that bus today, his last memory of it was. The early 40's when the school system took over the busing of the kids and his father donated it.

Interesting...In that particular sutuation where those who went to the factory to get a car or truck or a bunch of them at once was termed "Drive-A-Ways" from the assembly plant.

Pluck

crock 12-26-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve plucker (Post 1002774)
the first model a ford out of the jacksonville assembly plant was a sport coupe on may 10, 1928.

Getting closer! 13 to go!

red is "possible" date only and no article to support the opening (6);
chicago, denver, milwaukee, norfolk, san francisco, seattle.
black is no date and no article to support the opening (7).
buffalo, charlotte, cincinnati, columbus, indianapolis, los angles, st. Louis.

anybody????
Pluck

pluck, my sport coupe has a body # of je1008, and frame #a109354 stamped 4-30-28. Gas tank is stamped 8-7-28 does this tell anything?

Steve Plucker 12-26-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crock (Post 1004921)
pluck, my sport coupe has a body # of je1008, and frame #a109354 stamped 4-30-28. Gas tank is stamped 8-7-28 does this tell anything?

If the frame a body were originaly assembled together in 1928 then it was assembled sometime after August 7, 1928 in Jacksonville.

Pluck