The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   tube changing (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240004)

1930artdeco 02-27-2018 07:26 PM

tube changing

I just need to confirm that I did this correctly. Had a tube that leaked somewhere-not sure where but it did leak. So I popped the outer wall off the rim, pulled the tube and replaced it with another tube. I did not add any cornstarch for lube between the tube and tire. Then I reinflated, seated the tube and popped the sidewall back on the rim. Then fully inflated the tube/tire. Still is holding air. Like I said, I just want to make sure I did this correctly.

Mike

160B 02-27-2018 07:37 PM

Re: tube changing

FWIW

I always run my hand around the inside of the tire to check for foreign objects or a nail in the tire that will quickly puncture the new tube.

1930-Pickup 02-27-2018 10:19 PM

Sometimes the tube can twist or fold onto itself and you wont notice anything...except maybe a leak at the fold several years later. To prevent this, I inflate the tire and then fully deflate it, then re-inflate as normal.

RUNNERBUN 02-28-2018 12:00 AM

I do as the previous 2 posters suggested. In addition I use a liberal quantity of Talcum powder to lubricate the tube and help it settle correctly within the tire.

vern hodgson 02-28-2018 01:30 AM

I do as previous quote, although I inflate sans valve core, then as it releases air I bounce it around several times, reinstall the core and inflate.

3.6rs 02-28-2018 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 160B (Post 1598895)
FWIW

I always run my hand around the inside of the tire to check for foreign objects or a nail in the tire that will quickly puncture the new tube.

I used to do that also with my bare hands, until my hand came out with some sort of red liquid...
blood

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-28-2018 08:00 AM

Once found a 1/2 X 9/16", open end wrench, rattling around in a tire!!!
Bill Amazed

Patrick L. 02-28-2018 08:48 AM

I always install liners and make sure there are no problems with the rim and no wrinkles in the tube before inflating.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-28-2018 09:02 AM

Always remember the tube/tire skills you learned in your BICYCLING DAYS!!!
Bill Old

1crosscut 02-28-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1599057)
Once found a 1/2 X 9/16", open end wrench, rattling around in a tire!!!
Bill Amazed

I gent that worked for me had a rear tire on a tractor repaired. Two days later it was flat again. Same guy came out to do the second repair. Opened it up and found the pliers he had been looking for.

talwrench 02-28-2018 02:55 PM

I always do a soft inflate as I call it to the tube before install. Just enough air but not a stretch to the tube. This insures no wrinkles. I put one bead on than insert the soft inflated tube, wrinkle free every time. Also helps from pinching the tube when putting the second bead on.

160B 02-28-2018 04:01 PM

Years ago one of our club members did a demonstration for easily mounting a tire on a rim. This method works in reverse for removing a tire from a rim.

To mount the tire:

1. Place the rim on a piece of carpet

2. Cover the rim with a black plastic garbage bag keeping the bag double thickness

3. Place the tire on the rim and work the inner bead over the rim, this can be done by hand without tools for tires that are not rock hard

4. After the inner bead is on the rim remove the plastic garbage bag

5. Place the inner tube in the tire

6. Place the plastic bag between the rim and the outer bead

7. Hand work the outer bead onto the rim, if needed you can stand on the tire and work it on to the rim.
I hope this comes across clearly

1930artdeco 02-28-2018 07:06 PM

Thanks folks, looks like I did it correctly-mius the talc powder. The tube did twist and I had to untwist and then I did the 'soft' inflate to just seat it. So far there is no leaks.

Mike

Mike Peters 03-01-2018 08:25 AM

Years ago one of our club members did a demonstration for easily mounting a tire on a rim. This method works in reverse for removing a tire from a rim.

To mount the tire:

1. Place the rim on a piece of carpet

2. Cover the rim with a black plastic garbage bag keeping the bag double thickness

3. Place the tire on the rim and work the inner bead over the rim, this can be done by hand without tools for tires that are not rock hard

4. After the inner bead is on the rim remove the plastic garbage bag

5. Place the inner tube in the tire

6. Place the plastic bag between the rim and the outer bead

7. Hand work the outer bead onto the rim, if needed you can stand on the tire and work it on to the rim.
I hope this comes across clearly

160B: I like your garbage bag method of mounting/dismounting tires. Would save the wheels from paint scratches.

Lona 03-01-2018 09:29 AM

While running a large used car operation in the 90's, we repoed a car that had a flat tire. The shop guys repaired the leak but could not get the tire balanced no matter what they tried. They took the tire off the rim and found a shoe inside.

Interesting comments above on putting tubes in tires as that job is on my agenda today for a side mount spare that's been flat for some time.

Glen

JohnTee 03-01-2018 03:24 PM

I've heard of putting a boot in a tire, but not a shoe :).

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-01-2018 07:03 PM

NOT for cars, but because of Puncture Vines, on bicycles, we'd put a worn tire on, & stretch a GOOD tire over it. REALLY hard to do! We'd remove the valve core & carefully pour in canned milk, for an ANTI-LEAK! Smelled like CRAP, when you let a little air out!!!!
Bill Didn'tbreathe