The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Evil engine noise (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172652)

Big hammer 07-04-2015 04:35 PM

Evil engine noise

Car had been rough went and added fresh non corn gas.Was starting to run much better until, let off for a hill because going to fast for me, and when I put the gas pedal down, evil noise. Got back to garage removed timing cover, so far missing teeth on large gear. The noise came from the middle of the motor and sounded like someone using a hammer. I will pull pan and check out bearings.
FYI on engine noise and rough running engine

Brentwood Bob 07-04-2015 04:56 PM

Re: Evil engine noise

Check the oil pump/distributor driver, hope valves didn't get bent. I wouold pull the valve cover to check for timing and valve action.
remember when the timing gear shatters the oil system will pump the debris through out the engine so the oil circulation system needs to be gone through.
Bob

Big hammer 07-04-2015 05:36 PM

No bent valves limp home I will check it all out just an evil sound

Mitch//pa 07-04-2015 05:37 PM

That does not sound good
Ck crankshaft end play also

mshmodela 07-04-2015 06:24 PM

Good luck, hopefully an easy fix.

colin1928 07-04-2015 06:25 PM

Have a look at the centre main bearing while the sump is off

John 07-04-2015 07:03 PM

A main bearing will "pound" under load such as climbing a hill or under full throttle. The center main is the mosl likely culprit. Drop the pan, check the main bearing clearances and check the center bearing on the crank for being out of round.

Good luck!

Big hammer 07-05-2015 06:38 AM

It was quiet under a load,noise was on pass side? Noise will travel from its location like some posts here I will open up and check out I need to plan on what if Thanks

40 Deluxe 07-05-2015 08:49 AM

Brentwood Bob, There's no way for the valves to bend when the timing gear goes because the valves never get near a piston in a flathead engine.

Patrick L. 07-05-2015 10:37 AM

A cam gear can make a heck of a racket while its loosing teeth. Its probably a good idea to drop the pan and have a look.
I'm a big fan of cleaning the pan and oil pump screen, then looking at and measuring some bearings since you're already pretty close to them.

Big hammer 07-05-2015 06:35 PM

I pulled radiator,timing cover,valve cover,dizzy,drive gear,fiber timing gear needed a dentist to install caps, dizzy turn fine,no slop,drive gear looks like new,and oil pump turns and pumps oil with a screw driver. Crank has play need to use dial indicator, next will drop oil pan thanks

Big hammer 07-18-2015 02:27 PM

Up date :-( dropped pan and found pieces of thrust bearing :-(
.016 end play , oiling holes in valve chamber slow to drain to bearings front and rear center flow ok. I will be pulling motor and sending it out. I thought about installing bronze thrust bearing but decided not to waste my $ and do a farmer fix,way to much metal and fiber has gone though the motor! Thanks Ford Barn!!

ModelAMike1930 07-18-2015 08:38 PM

Try a crowbar and a big hammer..

Hicktick 07-18-2015 10:52 PM

Why do they have to run so good just before ???