The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Homemade Tools, Powerhouse Cover Form (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132964)

Tom Wesenberg 03-02-2014 05:41 PM

Homemade Tools, Powerhouse Cover Form

1 Attachment(s)
I finally finished making a tool I've needed for a long time. I'm no bodyman, and dents in the rear cover of powerhouse generators have been a problem. The owners put some dents in, then the post office often adds a few more dents. I've been needing a good form to use to help remove the dents. I couldn't find a block of steel 6" by 1 1/2", so I had to buy 3 steel plates 1/2" thick and weld them together, then buy some radius gauges to help me turn the correct shape. This took many hours to make and if I had it to do over I think I would have made two shapes, one for each step of the cover. Anyway, it's finally done and has worked well for the cover I'm working on now. It should save a lot of time on future covers dent removal.:)

Russell in Tulsa 03-02-2014 05:53 PM

Re: Homemade Tools, Powerhouse Cover Form

What commitment! Great work Tom.

RockHillWill 03-02-2014 06:23 PM

Nice work Tom, well done!

crumbaa 03-02-2014 08:55 PM

Pretty slick, nice idea. I poked at one for hub caps, and just could not get it right. Seeing yours make me want to try again.

Tom Wesenberg 03-02-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crumbaa (Post 834021)
Pretty slick, nice idea. I poked at one for hub caps, and just could not get it right. Seeing yours make me want to try again.

Thanks guys. At first I was wondering how it would work to wax a good straight cover and pour cement into it and use that as a form?:confused: It seems like it might work, but I finally decided to go for the sure thing.
I never was a good gambler.:D

28ACoupe 03-02-2014 11:41 PM

Now you can start stamping out reproductions. :)

newshirt 03-02-2014 11:56 PM

Nice little jig!

I have a secondary question, if you don't mind...

How do you deal with all that rust rash? I've been trying to develop a technique. All I've come up with is body filler. I get a tiny dab of red bondo on my index finger and press it into the rash. Let it dry, and then sand 99% off. All that's left is what fills the rash. It looks like bare metal with little red dots. Then I prime, and repeat until smooth. It usually takes 4 - 5 sessions with increasingly fine sandpaper to get it perfect. Then finally paint.

Is there a better way that doesn't involve body filler? (Sorry if this is not the primary point of this thread.)

Tom Wesenberg 03-03-2014 12:31 AM

Ray, I do the same. Years ago, if it wasn't too many pits, I would try solder, but that was very time consuming and didn't work as well as the method you just described.

Tom Wesenberg 03-03-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28ACoupe (Post 834129)
Now you can start stamping out reproductions. :)

The reproduction covers are perfect and I sure couldn't make one as nice.:)

wrndln 03-03-2014 10:14 AM

Tom,
Why don't you bring the tool to the clinic Thursday for show and tell (if we aren't snowed out again)?
Rusty Nelson

al's28/33 03-03-2014 10:15 AM

Nice work Thomas, you have the patience and good ol' American know-how to get the job done correctly!!