The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   shock problem (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266421)

Beater 07-16-2019 12:08 PM

shock problem

ok gents, I have a shock link problem on my 31 speedster.it has factory shocks and tube links, not dog bones, and this keeps happening

https://i.imgur.com/d4dMby5.jpg

easiest way to fix it is unbolt the shock, and pull it up oreient it right, and bolt it back on. now before I get acused of ditch hopping, that's not it. potholes in the road yes maybe. anyone have this prob before? the only thing I can think of is maybe because its a speedster its lite with all the parts removed, and the body is rideing higher on the springs

1931 flamingo 07-16-2019 05:54 PM

Re: shock problem

Are those the correct shock arms??
Paul in CT

Synchro909 07-16-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1778046)
Are those the correct shock arms??
Paul in CT

Looks to me like they are too short.

Dave1931Pickup 07-16-2019 09:17 PM

I think the judging standards states that the shock link should be near vertical. That would make your shock arm too short.

Wick 07-17-2019 04:41 AM

Is the fron end lowered? Leaves removed from spring? If that's the case I would relocate the shock.

RB_Nielsen 07-17-2019 12:19 PM

The shock arm is incorrect - one way to tell is it should contain an obvious factory bend - google to see what the OEM part looks like.

Brentwood Bob 07-17-2019 01:05 PM

Try repositioning the arm so the arm is parallel to the frame with the tubular shock link vertical. The way it is now negates the action of the shock. If you can, look at an unmodified chassis to see how the shock is correctly linked to the perch.

Beater 07-17-2019 10:53 PM

you guys missed the point the way it is now is what happens. yes I know the link is supposed to point up, and the arm parallel when it is set correctly everything lines up perfectly. if there was any more dogleg in the arm nothing would line up. there is some dogleg now and my fault the picture is poor and doesn't show this

the springs are stock, no leaves removed

Johnny Nitro 07-18-2019 12:15 AM

This would happen to me after I lowered the front end, and thought I need shorter links. Went back to standard links, and it hasn’t happened since. So, longer links needed?

katy 07-18-2019 10:31 AM

Are the U bolts tight?

Beater 07-18-2019 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=Johnny Nitro;1778468]This would happen to me after I lowered the front end, and thought I need shorter links. Went back to standard links, and it hasn’t happened since. So, longer links needed?[/Q

I would think it would be opposite. if you lower the front by removeing some leafs, it should have to travel farther to overcenter like this?

Beater 07-18-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1778554)
Are the U bolts tight?

yes, everything is tight, just went over everything doing the brakes actually.

Beater 07-18-2019 12:07 PM

like ive said , its maybe a poor pic and you guys cant see that the arms are curved, and that they sit level when things are right. this is how they look, when things are cofrect, and they are the correct arms. scroll down to the second picture

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group...3&pp=20&page=4

Beater 07-18-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RB_Nielsen (Post 1778270)
The shock arm is incorrect - one way to tell is it should contain an obvious factory bend - google to see what the OEM part looks like.

the shock arm is the correct one, it does have a obvious factory bend,

Beater 07-18-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob (Post 1778278)
Try repositioning the arm so the arm is parallel to the frame with the tubular shock link vertical. The way it is now negates the action of the shock. If you can, look at an unmodified chassis to see how the shock is correctly linked to the perch.

im not sure you I understand you. I know what it is supposed to look like, when it is on correctly. this picture shows what happens when I drive it after it has been put together correctly , as I stated in the description. I am trying to figure out WHY this happens, why it flips around

Bob C 07-18-2019 01:03 PM

Wild guess but could you have the shocks on the wrong side??

Bob

Y-Blockhead 07-18-2019 01:15 PM

Does it do it on both sides or just the right side?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1778607)

Bob

I think the shocks can only go on one side. Their position is kind of determined by the notch in the square shaft for the arm bolt to pass thru... right front/left rear, left front/right rear. Yes they will bolt on the wrong side but you can not install the arms.

Beater 07-18-2019 01:28 PM

both but usually the right side like ive said im not ditch rideing with this car, or real rough rideing. but the spring and body have too bounce enough for this to flip around backwards. fairly frustrateing

Beater 07-18-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1778607)

Bob

nope, ive learned the difference, and how they go on

Kurt in NJ 07-18-2019 01:47 PM

How tight are the spring clips, it's a rebound problem--- hoe "tight" are the shocks set, the resistance, the spring is aftermarket, the spring clips are to control movement in the unloading direction---- if you jack by the frame so the suspension is hanging, look to see if spring leaves are separated, the clip is to hold them tight , the shock arm should be very hard to move in the down direction, a 30lb weight about on a 3 foot long lever should take 30 seconds to minute to move the shock through 20 degrees of motion