The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Problem installing full flow oil filter kit (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314962)

Pamodelaroadster 06-27-2022 08:55 PM

Problem installing full flow oil filter kit

I had problems installing the copper tubing into the oil gallery. It was just to long to start straight so I added a couple small extra small bends to get it started thinking I could straighten then out. It started to flatten before it was in all the way and I didn’t trust that it wouldn’t restrict the oil flow. I should have just shortened the tubing a bit.
Can the tubing with the fitting on it be purchased saparately?
The local lowes doesn’t even stock 5/16” soft copper…
Thanks…

old ugly 06-27-2022 09:01 PM

Re: Problem installing full flow oil filter kit

yeah i have the same issues with the copper. i just shorten it a little at a time until it fits.

you could buy a pc of copper tube, heat and remove the fitting from the old one and solder to the new copper. it will be a pain but can probably be done.

to answer your question i just don't know if the tube can be bought separate. i would contact mikes affordable and see.

katy 06-28-2022 10:56 AM

The tube in the kit I bought wouldn't fit, I ended making one that would fit.

GPierce 06-28-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old ugly (Post 2142758)
yeah i have the same issues with the copper. i just shorten it a little at a time until it fits.

That what I did.
After several very small cuts shortening the end that goes into the valve chamber oil outlet port it fit fine with no need to bend it.

SAJ 06-28-2022 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My oil tube was partly blocked by a cast iron nodule. I tooka drill the right size and ground a hex on the end by eye. I used a tiny ratchet driver on the hex to clean the oil tube out. The pic shows the ratchet tool with its accessory driver bits and two modified drill bits for the tube clearing.
SAJ in NZ

old ugly 06-28-2022 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 2142963)
My oil tube was partly blocked by a cast iron nodule. I tooka drill the right size and ground a hex on the end by eye. I used a tiny ratchet driver on the hex to clean the oil tube out. The pic shows the ratchet tool with its accessory driver bits and two modified drill bits for the tube clearing.
SAJ in NZ

how the heck did you find out it was blocked?

SAJ 06-29-2022 06:06 AM

Hello Old Ugly. It was only a partial blockage with a sandy nodule from the sand casting. Discovered when I could not push the copper tube in. I collected the drillings and observed under a microscope to see sand granules and cast iron dust.
SAJ in NZ

Pamodelaroadster 07-03-2022 09:46 PM

I got some copper tubing and soldered the old end on it worked out good, thanks for the replies!!