The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tillotson carb question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307148)

john charlton 12-01-2021 04:31 PM

Tillotson carb question

I seem to recall I have seen a new Tillotson in a Ford Motocraft box so was this carb sold by Ford as a service item ??? Could be my memory is not correct as this was some years ago . I have had very good service from these carbs my best ever running 29 blindback has one . I swapped out a Sears/Allstate on a 29 AA as an experiment and the Tilly ran just as well no noticeable difference .As long as the mounting flange is not warped (this is easy to dress anyway) so no air leak they run just fine for me anyway . I saw a You Tube post where it was advised that they were junk and should be thrown away . Just wondered if it is only me who loves Tilly !!!

John in cold evening Suffolk County England

PS my Zeniths run fine too so no bias .

nkaminar 12-01-2021 04:54 PM

Re: Tillotson carb question

I like them. But, like any carburetor, they must be in good shape. The one I ran on my car was professionally rebuilt. It worked well from the getgo but I had to remove the ring on the stationary part of the GAV (housing) and seal the housing in the carburetor body. I sold that carburetor to another Model A member who had two other Tillotsons that did not work. In the 60's I ran a Tillotson on my coupe with good results.

Patrick L. 12-01-2021 06:14 PM

They were sold by Ford and are a good carburetor.

GPierce 12-01-2021 07:02 PM

Got my Tilley 5 years ago from J R Bullock. 6000 miles trouble free.

dennis lumbert 12-01-2021 08:12 PM

I have two of them that I rebuilt myself.They both perform flawlessly.

Anteek29 12-01-2021 08:33 PM

Replaced my Zenith with a Tilly...very pleased.

rotorwrench 12-02-2021 10:21 AM

Ford supplied model A parts for many years after production ceased. They subcontracted manufacturers to make a lot of the replacement parts. Borg Warner corporation and it's subdivisions likely made a fair amount of those parts. Marvel Schebler and Tillotson were both part of that corporation.

31Cabriolet68-C 12-02-2021 02:45 PM

I've been wondering just how easy is it to actually interchange the Tillotsons and the Zeniths, specifically in terms of the fuel-line positions being the same? Is a roadside replacement of a Tilly with a Zenith just intuitive? A fellow Barner here in town was having starting problems with his '30 Roadster, it's got a Tilly, and I wondered if my Zenith would have been a seamless "loaner".... (I've got a flat firewall on my April '31 Cabriolet). Also, did the Tillys get reconfigured when the '31 firewalls were modified? Thanks, John

Y-Blockhead 12-02-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31Cabriolet68-C (Post 2081587)
I've been wondering just how easy is it to actually interchange the Tillotsons and the Zeniths, specifically in terms of the fuel-line positions being the same? Is a roadside replacement of a Tilly with a Zenith just intuitive? A fellow Barner here in town was having starting problems with his '30 Roadster, it's got a Tilly, and I wondered if my Zenith would have been a seamless "loaner".... (I've got a flat firewall on my April '31 Cabriolet). Also, did the Tillys get reconfigured when the '31 firewalls were modified? Thanks, John

The Tillotson and Marvels just bolts on. Gas lines, throttle linkage and GAV all line up and connect like they should. Same size fitting on gas line.

burner31 12-04-2021 10:42 AM

Tilly here...here

ronn 12-04-2021 05:43 PM

I always preferred the tillys to the zeniths. just seem to have run better for me.

mrtexas 12-04-2021 09:31 PM

https://mrtexasmodela.weebly.com/restoretilly.html

Herb Concord Ca 12-04-2021 10:48 PM

I've also had good luck with Tillys. Ran them on both my A's for over 15 years, great carb.
For the last 3 years I have run a Marvel on our touring car, its better with the Marvel.

eagle 12-06-2021 08:08 AM

The saying is: zenith for the show car, tilly for the go car. However, I have a zenith on mine and it runs perfectly. Absolutely no issues so no reason to change. I do have a reconditioned tillotson and a reconditioned marvel shlueber sitting in the shop if I ever needed them