The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Filler putty for aluminum intake? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299661)

alexiskai 06-09-2021 09:10 AM

Filler putty for aluminum intake?

I've acquired a basic aluminum downdraft intake. There is a small divot in one of the mating surfaces that I would like to fill. If this were cast iron, I'd use JB Weld ExtremeHeat, but since it's aluminum I'm unsure what to use. Can anyone recommend a product that's both suitable for the purpose and inexpensive (since I'll probably only need it once or twice)? I'm thinking some kind of metallic paste or epoxy.

Jerry in Shasta 06-09-2021 10:04 AM

Re: Filler putty for aluminum intake?

Take a look their gaskets. Pricie, but they work

http://catalog.remflex.com/default.asp

katy 06-09-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2024784)
I've acquired a basic aluminum downdraft intake. There is a small divot in one of the mating surfaces that I would like to fill. If this were cast iron, I'd use JB Weld ExtremeHeat, but since it's aluminum I'm unsure what to use. Can anyone recommend a product that's both suitable for the purpose and inexpensive (since I'll probably only need it once or twice)? I'm thinking some kind of metallic paste or epoxy.

A picture would be nice.

alexiskai 06-09-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry in Shasta (Post 2024799)
Take a look their gaskets. Pricie, but they work

Thanks, I'll bookmark that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 2024801)
A picture would be nice.

Will provide one tonight. The intake is one of Tod's as shown in this post. It's one of the ones he mentions with "very minor issues." :)

JayJay 06-09-2021 10:48 AM

Alexiskai - silly question, I know, but have you considered having the divot filled with weld material, then having the mating surface decked? A good machine shop should be able to do both in-house. With aluminum decking is a good practice against leaks anyhow. True, it will be more expensive than filling with something, but that way you'll know it's done right and is permanent.

JayJay

alexiskai 06-09-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJay (Post 2024812)
Alexiskai - silly question, I know, but have you considered having the divot filled with weld material, then having the mating surface decked? A good machine shop should be able to do both in-house. With aluminum decking is a good practice against leaks anyhow. True, it will be more expensive than filling with something, but that way you'll know it's done right and is permanent.

JayJay

I thought about it, it kinda seems like overkill. Particularly for this type of intake, which doesn't bolt to the exhaust and thus doesn't have to be milled flat relative to it. But I'd consider it if other options don't pan out.

JayJay 06-09-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2024817)
I thought about it, it kinda seems like overkill. Particularly for this type of intake, which doesn't bolt to the exhaust and thus doesn't have to be milled flat relative to it. But I'd consider it if other options don't pan out.

You may not need the intake manifold true relative to the exhaust manifold (like the stock manifolds), but you do need the two intake ports true relative to each other (I presume the divot is on the engine mating surface, not the carburetor mating surface).

JayJay

alexiskai 06-09-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJay (Post 2024821)
You may not need the intake manifold true relative to the exhaust manifold (like the stock manifolds), but you do need the two intake ports true relative to each other (I presume the divot is on the engine mating surface, not the carburetor mating surface).

JayJay

Correct. Now that you mention it, I guess I will need to check it against the manifold I plan to use it with, because the thickness of the ears needs to be close on each one or the washers won't exert equal clamping force. And I should check it with a precision straightedge at the same time.

jak 06-09-2021 12:22 PM

looking for something else and stumbled on this product.

https://www.2daydeliver.com/product_...cts%20MAIN%202

alexiskai 06-09-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jak (Post 2024850)
looking for something else and stumbled on this product.

I found that in my research, but I wasn't sure how it would fare at high temperature.

dave hummell 06-09-2021 04:02 PM

We used lab-metal to correct problems with defects when things were powder coated parts are heated to 375.

old31 06-09-2021 04:12 PM

Looks like good stuff.

https://www.jdindustrialsupply.com/labmetal6ozcan.html

https://www.jdindustrialsupply.com/h...yABEgJ4lvD_BwE

Pdgx 06-10-2021 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Used this stuff frequently. As long as it’s clean, it will stick and doesn’t seem to be affected by engine heat.
It sets hard and you can drill, mill, file, etc.

Jack Shaft 06-10-2021 07:29 AM

Automotive RTV compounds, like permatex ultra will withstand the heat and fill the void, provided the void is captured.

Keeping the original exhaust manifold is a good idea, you need the heat transfer to prevent icing.

alexiskai 06-10-2021 08:54 AM

I wrote to JB Weld and they recommended using the original epoxy, which is good up to 550°. So I think I'm gonna go that direction since I already have that.

I'm planning to use an original manifold, but this intake doesn't have the transfer plate, so it'll have to be via convection and radiation instead.

ronn 06-13-2021 05:44 AM

why switch, when you already have a good product?

I used JB in a heater that had indirect flame, but got quite hot nonetheless.

that and a quarter repaired the jet.

alexiskai 06-13-2021 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 2024801)
A picture would be nice.

As promised, picture. I mentioned above that I'm gonna try JB Weld for the repair, so we'll see how it goes.

Aretino 06-13-2021 05:06 PM

Used to use Devcon F in the aviation maintenance industry.

Synchro909 06-13-2021 07:41 PM

I'd try a small dab of silicone on that divot. Vacuum will hold it in place if vacuum reaches it, it is flexible and withstands temperatures way in excess of what you will get on an inlet manifold. Heck, I've seen no manifold gaskets at all (exhaust included) on a Model A, just silicone and the car ran like a champ.
Don't over think it.

Jack Shaft 06-13-2021 10:57 PM

There is enough support to just to run a gasket.