The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fan Belt Tension Adjuster.... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288898)

1936 ford pickup 10-19-2020 11:36 AM

Fan Belt Tension Adjuster....

2 Attachment(s)
Hello to ALL....

I have a '36 Ford pickup with an alternator and wanted to replace the Fan Belt with new. I utilized a 7/8" x 1 1/4" long Coupling Nut (with 1/2-13 NC internal thread) and a 1/2-13 NC x 1 1/4" long Hex Head Bolt. I used round cardboard cut-outs under the Coupling Nut and above the Hex Head Bolt to make sure I did not scratch the paint on the intake manifold and bottom of the Alternator.
Slowly turning the Hex Head Bolt counter-clockwise put tension on the Fan Belt.
Worked perfect so I wanted to share and hope it may help someone else out there. Just curious as to what others out there do for Fan Belt tensioning.

Bruce in Ca.

Jack E/NJ 10-19-2020 11:55 AM

Re: Fan Belt Tension Adjuster....

Broom handle. 8^) Jack E/NJ

51 MERC-CT 10-19-2020 12:48 PM

double post

51 MERC-CT 10-19-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1936 ford pickup (Post 1943111)
Hello to ALL....

I have a '36 Ford pickup with an alternator and wanted to replace the Fan Belt with new. I utilized a 7/8" x 1 1/4" long Coupling Nut (with 1/2-13 NC internal thread) and a 1/2-13 NC x 1 1/4" long Hex Head Bolt. I used round cardboard cut-outs under the Coupling Nut and above the Hex Head Bolt to make sure I did not scratch the paint on the intake manifold and bottom of the Alternator.
Worked perfect so I wanted to share and hope it may help someone else out there. Just curious as to what others out there do for Fan Belt tensioning.

Bruce in Ca.

Same thing over 50 years ago.( Necessity is the mother of invention )

GB SISSON 10-19-2020 09:59 PM

I use a 2x4 with a long diagonal cut on one end. I really like this coupling nut thing and can't wait to copy it. Thank you Bruce!

Jeff/Illinois 10-20-2020 11:36 AM

Good idea. It is tricky to tighten the fan belt on these motors, at least I always thought so.

We have a '36 PU too, anxious to see yours when done please post pics:)

38bill 10-20-2020 12:23 PM

Just don't get them so tight that they screw up the generator.

Jeff/Illinois 03-11-2021 08:58 PM

38Bill...

I was in the garage today and my fan belt on the '36 PU had about 1 and 1/8th inch deflection at the half way point of the belt.

I snugged it up, knowing about not being too tight, and now it has just shy of an inch maybe 7/8ths inch.

It seemed before that my ammeter was bouncing just a wee bit at idle and I was concerned the belt was slipping a tad bit.

I was brought up to make sure they were about 1 inch of deflection.

Is this too tight now??

VeryTangled 03-11-2021 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Where the heck is that thread about cool tools that people made or use?

It's from years ago from what I remember. A V-8'er had grafted a wrench to a prying point to help lift that stubborn genny with a lever applied to it. JM35's super engineered steering and rear hub pullers were in there too!

I love your idea because adjusting that belt without getting a little medieval is a challenge.

Just recall your deflection at midpoint. That belt don't have to be TIGHT to spin the pumps and power maker. But too tight will jack their shafts up eventually.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...7&d=1615247922

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...9&d=1615517399

Scotty's 52 F3 03-11-2021 09:51 PM

I use a big bar but, I like this better. Thanks for posting.

Ross F-1 03-11-2021 10:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is the most elegant tool I've seen, I have it saved as being "1950FordF1"s. (from FTE I suspect) I tried to make one like it but was not successful.

Vergil on here posted the "fulcrum" that bolts onto the WP bolt. Works well but really needs another bolt to keep it from rotating.

tubman 03-11-2021 11:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures of "Vergil's Tool" :

19Fordy 03-12-2021 10:04 AM

Mr. tubman, Any chance of reposting those photos to make them larger?
Thanks.

I found it:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...n-belt.971007/

19Fordy 03-12-2021 10:04 AM

Thanks.

Sorry for the double post.

tubman 03-12-2021 10:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1995257)
Thanks.

I did blow them up, but wasn't satisfied with the resolution. Here is what I have. I hope it's satisfactory. (Click the "thumbnails.)

19Fordy 03-12-2021 10:31 AM

Did more searching. Can anyone post a photo or explain how the tool shown in Post #41 works?
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...t=55015&page=3

19Fordy 03-12-2021 10:41 AM

Thanks tubman, After I posted , I did a little more searching and found larger version of your follow up.
Thanks for responding.

Jeff/Illinois 03-12-2021 10:50 AM

Now that fulcrum point looks like a good idea too.

Thanks.

Kube 03-12-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1936 ford pickup (Post 1943111)
Hello to ALL....

Bruce in Ca.

I had made a scissors type tool where I am able to place the non-adjustable ends between the generator and valve chamber cover. The adjustable end of my tool is a simple thumb screw. Turning it lifts the generator. I pretty much copied the basic concept from an old brake caliper piston retracting tool.

It appears your fan belt is not correct - too long. Factory fitment had a much smaller "open space" between the generator and chamber cover.

Jeff/Illinois 03-12-2021 11:04 AM

Kube I think you are right, as I'm almost out of adjustment the gennie sits kind of high.

This is the belt that was on the truck when I bought it, never gave it much thought. I'll check into it. All I ever did was look for splitting on the 'V' showing time to replace.