The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sound deadning (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293493)

wright-47 01-24-2021 07:36 PM

Sound deadning

Has anyone used Acoustishield and what do you think of it? Is there anything else out there that would look like the original material? I don't mind cutting to fit if I can find it. Thanks in advance.

woodiewagon46 01-25-2021 10:10 AM

Re: Sound deadning

I have been using a sound deadener product from 3M, part no. 3M-08840. It comes in 19" square sheets, self adhering and comes 10 sheets in a box for about $75. A lot cheaper than some of the stuff on the market. I found that it works very well.

tubman 01-25-2021 11:14 AM

I remember seeing a bunch of threads on the "H.A.M.B." on this subject. As I remember, there are a number of products sold at "Home Stores" that are much cheaper and actually work better.

I suggest you check over there.

blucar 01-25-2021 11:36 AM

Dynamat is probably the most well known and commonly used sound deadening/heat blocker used in the custom car world, however, as we all know Dynamat is very expensive.
My upholster turned me on to a product called Road-kill, the product is very similar to Drynamat and can be purchased on-line from many vendors for about half the cost of Dynamat.
I have used Road-Kill in three vehicles since '09, getting ready to use it in a forth vehicle.

I just looked Roadkill up on ebay.. It is listed under Stinger Roadkill sound deadening. Comes in 18"x32" sheets. If you buy the self adhesive type of sound deadening make sure you buy a good plastic wheeled roller. I bought a wooden wheeled roller for my fist job, it fell apart halfway through the job.

Kube 01-25-2021 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1977845)
I remember seeing a bunch of threads on the "H.A.M.B." on this subject. As I remember, there are a number of products sold at "Home Stores" that are much cheaper and actually work better.

I suggest you check over there.

Tubman, That's the stuff I have been using for years (decades actually) without an issue.

flatford8 01-25-2021 03:06 PM

That’s the same stuff I used on my ‘50. I think the roll was 4’x 50’. I used 3M spray adhesive and it worked very well.......Mark

sidevalve8ba 01-25-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1977878)
Tubman, That's the stuff I have been using for years (decades actually) without an issue.

Kube, Is what you use self-adhesive?

Lawson Cox 01-25-2021 03:30 PM

A gallon bucket of roofing tar at Home Depot is inexpensive and is very close to what Henry used. All of this "Modern Crap" is more expensive, harder to use, and is NOWHERE close to being original or any better. My 2¢. (But what does an Old Foggie like me know?)

Kube 01-25-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba (Post 1977923)
Kube, Is what you use self-adhesive?

Nope. I use 3M contact cement, brush on.

1941Pony 01-25-2021 07:02 PM

I’ve used the home store stuff before, mid engine Boxster. Worked well on keeping the heat and sound level down to a noticeable improvement. The foam stuff works better for sound.

GB SISSON 01-25-2021 08:46 PM

While I can't remember the two brand names I bought last summer, one was way heavier than the other. We are talking about a cummins diesel in a '47 Ford tonner. My local hardware store has something that looks like bubble wrap with foil on it.... Did nothing for noise. In the 70's I worked for a sailboat builder in SW Harbor Maine. High end stuff. They liked westerbeke diesels and they were mounted right in the galley next to you behind a ladder. The entire engine compartment was lined in what we called 'lead foam' material. Shut the hatch on that westerbeke and you could hear yourself think. It would best be described as neoprene wet suit material, like 1/8" each side with lead sheet core at about 1/16th". Probably wasn't cheap, but it really worked. I tried to find it for my diesel converted ford, but maybe because of lead, it isn't around any more. Shame because it isn't gonna get into our bloodstream inside that foam, and what about our hearing? My TV is at 22 right now,

gasserdays 01-25-2021 10:03 PM

Do not use the Eastwood stuff. It bleeds out black oily thick tar after a while.

Zax40 01-26-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasserdays (Post 1978076)
Do not use the Eastwood stuff. It bleeds out black oily thick tar after a while.

I think they have new versions now that no longer do that, but probably not worth the risk.

I've heard good things about the Kilmat product if you are looking for the self stick type that is not as pricey as Dynamat.

TJ 01-26-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Absolutely correct. Friend put it in his car and had to take it all out due to the stuff bleeding out and creating a huge mess. Don't know if they have cured the problem or not.

36and63 01-26-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

I've used Eastwood XMAT for over 10 years without any issues. No smell and works well to reduce heat and sound.

Pat

cas3 01-26-2021 12:21 PM

i used some stuff from Lowes recommended by some guys on the hamb. I believe its actually made for patching leaky gutters, foil faced, rubber kinda stuff with adhesive. guys in hot climates claim it has never fallen off from the heat. comes in rolls 6" wide, and cheap. cant say any specs on sound or insulation, but it took the "tin can" sound away when you slam the door