The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Please recommend a Hinge Pin Removal Tool (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224136)

Ed in Maine 07-06-2017 11:21 AM

Please recommend a Hinge Pin Removal Tool

I would like to know who is carrying a good robust hinge pin removal tool that can be used on my 1931 SW Cabriolet. Thanks for your help. Ed

ronn 07-06-2017 11:34 AM

Re: Please recommend a Hinge Pin Removal Tool

a punch from Sears?????????

RawhideKid 07-06-2017 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I found this idea from another post and made something similar and it works great.

msmaron 07-06-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed in Maine (Post 1495448)
I would like to know who is carrying a good robust hinge pin removal tool that can be used on my 1931 SW Cabriolet. Thanks for your help. Ed

have you looked at everyone of the model a suppliers what they all sell??

Bruce Adams 07-06-2017 11:56 AM

I successfully used the EXPENSIVE one from Brattons on my 68C after trying the cheaper ones then making a few per various web sites. NOT the $35 one in Snyders but I can't find a Brattons right now. It was CAST with a screw in pin that pushed mine right out permitting a right side mirror on my 68C.

Lona 07-06-2017 01:09 PM

Removing pins ..... Hell, Mine keep working out all by themselves. Have to tap them back in every so often. Maybe one small advantage to having a daily driver.

Glen

Big hammer 07-06-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lona (Post 1495499)
Removing pins ..... Hell, Mine keep working out all by themselves. Have to tap them back in every so often. Maybe one small advantage to having a daily driver.

Glen

Good place for a dab of lock-tight! :-)

CarlG 07-06-2017 01:23 PM

I have one like the one pictured above that I bought from Snyder's. It has worked great for me and several others in our club.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-06-2017 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is an area that I can unequivocally state that we have some experience in! :D

None of the pullers (pushers) on the market that I know of work very well. Therefore the 3 things we most commonly use (-outside of profanity!! :eek:) is a liberal amount of penetrating oil first and then a punch on a 3X rivet gun to push it upward, - and if that fails to move it, then a drill. All we have found that happens with the commercially available pin removers is they 'spring'. Also understand that there is a point where the bottom of the soft pin 'mushrooms' due to the pressure and you are done anyway.

Now here is the trick that generally works in conjunction with the punch. What happens is the pin wears and creates small offsets in the pin. Then the offsets hang coming out. Often times if you can get someone to lift the door at the edge to align the pin to go thru the hinges, then it will make progress. Sometimes you must actually rotate the pin to get it to move. Generally in this situation, use a small 12' long piece of flatbar with a hole in the end that will slip over the head of the pin. Then plug weld the pin's head to the flat bar so you have something to rotate the pin with.

Big hammer 07-06-2017 07:55 PM

:-) X-2 on rivet gun worked for me!

Nabco 07-06-2017 08:10 PM

I just used the one from Snyder's had all the pins out on me door inside of 10 minutes ��

midgetracer 07-06-2017 10:16 PM

I usually heat them with my torch and quench them a couple of times and then punch them out without a problem.

RawhideKid 07-06-2017 10:20 PM

Sure is great for the paint job, I specially like the torch idea.

Phil Brown 07-06-2017 11:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Tried all of the others on "stuck" pins and bent them all, made this one and found that it works really well

oldredford 07-07-2017 10:52 AM

The ones from Bob Drake are a joke.

midgetracer 07-07-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Sure is great for the paint job, I specially like the torch idea.
I was referring to a restoration where I want to paint the car afterwards.

silversink 07-07-2017 04:06 PM

I ground down a c clamp to a fitted point and used a deep well socket at the top----worked great'