The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Boat Anchor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298846)

rfitzpatrick 05-21-2021 01:12 PM

Boat Anchor

When I'm heavy traffic in my PicUp, and I finally get third-gear? It's like I threw out a boat anchor -- my acceleration is so very slow. It's an all
stock Budd. Got one of then Slow-Vehicle logos on my tail-gate that no one
honors. Once I get going, I'm keeping up with traffic. This is getting dangerous.

Thanks -- I Feel Better

HDowse 05-21-2021 01:57 PM

Re: Boat Anchor

Is the engine timed correctly? Is the spark advanced down about 2/3rds? The parking brake is off and the brakes aren’t dragging? Check all that and don’t compare the A with your Tesla......

Blue-Truck-Nut 05-21-2021 02:10 PM

Through much research, I can attest that the Model A's performance is severely lacking when operated as a raft, boat, or submarine. I humbly suggest enjoying ones Model A on dry land.

As for traffic, you aren't alone. Drivers are paying less attention than ever to what is in front of them, behind the steering wheel of faster more responsive cars than ever. I've noticed an exponential change within just the last year, defensive driving is more critical now than ever.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Pdgx 05-21-2021 05:23 PM

I’m sure it’s at least as warm down there as it is here already. I’d suggest you open your air/fuel adjustment a little bit more and see if it helps your setup.
If you’re driving it a lot in traffic, might consider a Mitchell OD, as the 2 to 3 shift is a bit much, and you can bog down if you have any grade.

nkaminar 05-21-2021 05:32 PM

Are you looking for answers or just complaining. If you want better acceleration, you know what to do. Regarding people riding your exhaust pipe, I put a camera in my rear window to record any accident. The cops know how to view the video which will let them see the person texting and not paying attention.

rfitzpatrick 05-21-2021 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=nkaminar;2018840]Are you looking for answers

YES

Blue-Truck-Nut 05-21-2021 06:49 PM

Sarcasm aside......
Is this problem a recent development? Or has it always been this way?
First, is it a low power issue, or something keeping the car from coasting freely? ( See post #2)
I would start diagnosing by cleaning the fuel screen, and verifying good fuel flow at the carb.
Next, I would use a screwdriver or some such instrument to short the spark plugs, make sure it's hitting on all 4, that's also the time to verify good hot spark, if I get a good solid arc 1/8" or more I'm happy. If not, check the points. ( Don't do this step with fuel everywhere from the first step, for obvious reasons.)
Next, pull the spark plugs and look, is it running too lean? Too rich? Are the plugs varnished? Clean and gap or replace as needed.
That's how I would start, and proceed depending on what I found there.

Good luck!

Ian in Mississauga 05-21-2021 07:32 PM

What speed are you shifting at? I get the same result as you if I shift under 20mph.

TerryH 05-22-2021 08:41 AM

The Model A has a big gap, shifting from 2nd to 3rd…..so I never shift at less than 20 mph. 3rd will pull better than……

Jack Shaft 05-22-2021 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a boat anchor

Attachment 464010

Jack Shaft 05-22-2021 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I built mine to battle with the yoyo's on the road today..hell If I can gap a Kia Rio if i catch it napping..actually a model a putting out about twice the power with a mitchell OD is capable of competing in todays combat conditions..without protection of a convoy,and any time of the day

Mister Moose 05-22-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryH (Post 2018983)
The Model A has a big gap, shifting from 2nd to 3rd…..so I never shift at less than 20 mph. 3rd will pull better than……

Henry built the Model A as a 4 speed, and then to reduce costs he left 3rd gear out. When you think of it as 1st, 2nd and 4th, you'll be in the right frame of mind. If the car pulls strong in 1st and 2nd, you likely have normal performance. There's a reason so many folks put in overdrive, as it not only gives you a higher gear for highway, but a higher 2nd gear for hills and acceleration.

Big hammer 05-23-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 2018781)
When I'm heavy traffic in my PicUp, and I finally get third-gear? It's like I threw out a boat anchor -- my acceleration is so very slow. It's an all
stock Budd. Got one of then Slow-Vehicle logos on my tail-gate that no one
honors. Once I get going, I'm keeping up with traffic. This is getting dangerous.

Thanks -- I Feel Better

Check and see if your throttle is opening wide open

rfitzpatrick 05-23-2021 11:41 AM

Thanks everyone.
I've gone over the ideas mentioned. Now once I get up to speed, it'll do 50 real easy
but that doesn't feel safe. It'll take a few miles of open road to reach that. It has a 3.78 rear-end --
Thanks

Charlie Stephens 05-23-2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 2019340)
Thanks everyone.
I've gone over the ideas mentioned. Now once I get up to speed, it'll do 50 real easy
but that doesn't feel safe. It'll take a few miles of open road to reach that. It has a 3.78 rear-end --
Thanks

Find a local club and see if you can locate someone to look at your car. Maybe bring it to a club meeting. It is not performing right and sounds dangerous to drive.

Charlie Stephens

nkaminar 05-23-2021 01:45 PM

Aside from the usual things to make a car accelerator faster, there are some less obvious things to check. Check to see if there is an obstruction in the tail pipe or muffler or if it is a very restrictive muffler. You can just disconnect it from the exhaust manifold and tie it up with some wire or rope to see if that makes a difference. (Car will be louder.) (An old high school trick is to shove a potato up an exhaust pipe as a joke.) Check the intake manifold and exhaust manifold for restrictions. Do the gaskets have undersize holes? Do the coast test as others have suggested to see if there is some parasitic drag.

There is always the option to send the engine to someone to rework it. $$$

jayvee34 05-23-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue-Truck-Nut (Post 2018792)
Through much research, I can attest that the Model A's performance is severely lacking when operated as a raft, boat, or submarine. I humbly suggest enjoying ones Model A on dry land.

As for traffic, you aren't alone. Drivers are paying less attention than ever to what is in front of them, behind the steering wheel of faster more responsive cars than ever. I've noticed an exponential change within just the last year, defensive driving is more critical now than ever.

saw this bumper sticker on a car driving the speed limit.
"SORRY FOR DRIVING SO CLOSE IN FRONT OF YOU":D

shew01 05-23-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayvee34 (Post 2019496)

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue-Truck-Nut 05-23-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayvee34 (Post 2019496)

Hahaha! That's great.

My favorite Red Green quote is "The fastest way to irritate a stranger is to drive the speed limit."

nkaminar 05-24-2021 06:58 AM

The speed limit on the freeways around Washington DC is 55 mph. Try driving that slow and you will get run off the road. Traffic flows at 70 mph or more. I don't understand.