The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fact or Fiction: Headlight Lens Gasket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293332)

pjdeb 01-21-2021 08:04 PM

Fact or Fiction: Headlight Lens Gasket

Fact or fiction: the neoprene gasket for the headlight lens has an adverse effect on the bucket finish? It tarnishes the aluminum surface?

J Franklin 01-21-2021 09:09 PM

Re: Fact or Fiction: Headlight Lens Gasket

Where is there any aluminum?

Gary WA 01-21-2021 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Should be cork tho!

al's28/33 01-21-2021 09:38 PM

Here Here!!!......cork.

McMimmcs 01-21-2021 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjdeb (Post 1976604)
Fact or fiction: the neoprene gasket for the headlight lens has an adverse effect on the bucket finish? It tarnishes the aluminum surface?

Where did you hear that the bucket was made of aluminum ?

160B 01-21-2021 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1976639)
Where did you hear that the bucket was made of aluminum ?

I think he is referring to the reflectors from the vendors that are aluminum.

https://www.brattons.com/newly-re-to...eflectors.html

McMimmcs 01-21-2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 160B (Post 1976658)
I think he is referring to the reflectors from the vendors that are aluminum.

https://www.brattons.com/newly-re-to...eflectors.html

I am sure you are correct. Thanks for clarifying.

MikeK 01-22-2021 01:42 AM

The original composite cork gaskets were bonded with vulcanized latex. Vulcanization is a cross-linking process that uses sulfur. Those gaskets would, upon gradual deterioration, out-gas sulfur dioxide. Sulfur dioxide reacts with silver to produce the classic silver tarnish that starts light yellow and progresses to black.

Back in the day coal was king in heating buildings and steam powering trains and industry. Because of the high sulfur content of most coal the atmosphere had quite a bit of sulfur dioxide that also contributed to silver tarnishing.

A lot of people mistakenly believe the yellow to black silver tarnish is oxidation. It is a sulfur reaction. Silver oxide is white and does not occur with atmospheric exposure at environmental temperatures.

Modern composite cork is bonded with a modified butyl compound and does not out-gas sulfur compounds. They have no affect on silver. Also, today's atmosphere is very low in sulfur compounds so silver reflectors need far less maintenance than they did in the Model A era.

A polychloropene ('Neoprene') gasket is relatively unreactive and does not out-gas any oxidant compounds. It will not directly react with silver or aluminum. Uncoated polished aluminum will react with oxygen in a damp atmosphere and oxidize to a grayish surface in a few months.

Brattons aluminized reflectors are overcoated with a silicate compound that isolates the metal surface from the atmosphere.

Bob Bidonde 01-22-2021 08:51 AM

False notion! My 45B Coupe has neoprene with aluminum reflectors since neoprenen became available. There is no evidence of tarnishing. My 190A Victoria has neoprene and aluminum since 2016 and there is no evidence of tarnishing.

pjdeb 01-22-2021 09:43 AM

Thank you for the information. Yes, I was referring to the reflectors. Great explanation from MikeK.

1crosscut 01-22-2021 10:40 AM

I had my reflectors re-silvered 10 years ago. I just opened one up for the first time late this summer to replace a bulb. They looked like I just had them done.
Using cork gaskets.

McMimmcs 01-22-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1976755)
I had my reflectors re-silvered 10 years ago. I just opened one up for the first time late this summer to replace a bulb. They looked like I just had them done.
Using cork gaskets.

Where did you have them resilvered ? Thanks Wayne

1crosscut 01-22-2021 07:51 PM

Wayne - [email protected] Craig Riker 419-290-4442 (Ohio)

Don't remember the price but it was rather reasonable and quick turn around.

McMimmcs 01-22-2021 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1976981)
Wayne - [email protected] Craig Riker 419-290-4442 (Ohio)

Don't remember the price but it was rather reasonable and quick turn around.

Thank you for the information. I will attempt contact soon. I have 2 historic vehicles that replacement parts are not available for and they truly need resilvering. Thanks again, please be safe! Wayne

700rpm 01-22-2021 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 1976677)
The original composite cork gaskets were bonded with vulcanized latex. Vulcanization is a cross-linking process that uses sulfur. Those gaskets would, upon gradual deterioration, out-gas sulfur dioxide. Sulfur dioxide reacts with silver to produce the classic silver tarnish that starts light yellow and progresses to black.

Back in the day coal was king in heating buildings and steam powering trains and industry. Because of the high sulfur content of most coal the atmosphere had quite a bit of sulfur dioxide that also contributed to silver tarnishing.

A lot of people mistakenly believe the yellow to black silver tarnish is oxidation. It is a sulfur reaction. Silver oxide is white and does not occur with atmospheric exposure at environmental temperatures.

Modern composite cork is bonded with a modified butyl compound and does not out-gas sulfur compounds. They have no affect on silver. Also, today's atmosphere is very low in sulfur compounds so silver reflectors need far less maintenance than they did in the Model A era.

A polychloropene ('Neoprene') gasket is relatively unreactive and does not out-gas any oxidant compounds. It will not directly react with silver or aluminum. Uncoated polished aluminum will react with oxygen in a damp atmosphere and oxidize to a grayish surface in a few months.

Brattons aluminized reflectors are overcoated with a silicate compound that isolates the metal surface from the atmosphere.

Very interesting. Do you have any information about atmosphere, pollution, and nickel plating? My replated for 15 year (2005) radiator shell is holding up much better than my original plated (1929) headlights did before 1950. Also my plating since 1980 seems to be holding up pretty well too.

MrBruce 01-23-2021 08:16 AM

My 31 S/W Town Sedan had silvered reflectors when I bought it 38 years ago, every car coming towards me at night flashes their lights at me. They are as bright now as they were when I bought the car. No tarnish so far, and I would pay the extra to have them done if and when I buy another model A.

Ruth 01-23-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBruce (Post 1977079)
My 31 S/W Town Sedan had silvered reflectors when I bought it 38 years ago, every car coming towards me at night flashes their lights at me. They are as bright now as they were when I bought the car. No tarnish so far, and I would pay the extra to have them done if and when I buy another model A.

Just a thought, are people flashing their lights at you because your lights are bright? Or because they are out of adjustment? I have seen more than one Model A with headlights pointed in the wrong direction.

MrBruce 01-23-2021 12:30 PM

My lights are adjusted perfect

Kentmac 04-13-2023 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjdeb (Post 1976604)

Would a bead of silicone work ?

J Franklin 04-13-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentmac (Post 2218499)
Would a bead of silicone work ?

It is not needed or wanted. Use a correct gasket from one of the vendors.