The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Late 31 with no rear shocks (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277843)

M2M 03-11-2020 08:34 PM

Late 31 with no rear shocks

So my late 31 Tudor is missing both rear shocks, arms, everything...there's nothing there.

What do I need to find/buy to go back to factory original? Did the late 31 setup or design differ to earlier ones? How many $ am I looking at? Thanks.

3.6rs 03-12-2020 06:10 AM

Re: Late 31 with no rear shocks

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1861087)
So my late 31 Tudor is missing both rear shocks, arms, everything...there's nothing there.

What do I need to find/buy to go back to factory original? Did the late 31 setup or design differ to earlier ones? How many $ am I looking at? Thanks.

Not original, but good (and cheap).

rotorwrench 03-12-2020 08:49 AM

Stipe shocks are expensive but they are well made. Tube shocks could be an alternative if your on a budget and like to drive the car a lot. Finding OEM units that can be overhauled is getting harder every year. There are several folks that do this service. It takes some heavy duty tooling to get a rusty one apart and many times the internals are shot.

30 Closed Cab PU 03-12-2020 10:33 AM

My truck originally did not have any shocks, but when I inherited it I also inherited a box of shocks. Sent them to John Holland, took 8 shocks to get 4 good ones. Suitable shocks for repair/rebuilding are getting very hard to find.

Terry, NJ 03-12-2020 10:47 AM

Many many Mod A s are without shocks because they cost so much! You have basically three choices;
1) Pay the price for new ones at about $250. each. Four wheels, $1000.
2) Get an adapter kit and install modern tube shocks for around $350.
3) Find a set of FrictionShocks ($ ?) Try Speedway. I think they sell them.
Terry

ryanheacox 03-12-2020 12:05 PM

If you want originals correct for '31 I believe the only difference is the hex head style adjusting valve, earlier had a square head and early '28 had a pointer style. Some of the patent numbers may have also changed but I'm not sure. Functionally, all of the shocks will interchange.

FWIW, my grandfather put on a set of "rebuilt" shocks that I later found were junk that got passed off as rebuilt. I took them off and noticed no difference in the ride, my springs have enough rust in the leaves to be self-damped, rides nice :D

3.6rs 03-12-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 1861228)

or fabricate the adaptor kit yourself and buy the shocks... 60 euros!

CarlG 03-12-2020 12:27 PM

I have Ken Davis tube shocks on my pickup. Reasonably priced and work great.

burner31 03-12-2020 01:28 PM

Answer....big bank account

M2M 03-13-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 1861228)
Many many Mod A s are without shocks because they cost so much! You have basically three choices;
1) Pay the price for new ones at about $250. each. Four wheels, $1000.
3) Find a set of FrictionShocks ($ ?) Try Speedway. I think they sell them.
Terry

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1861247)
If you want originals correct for '31 I believe the only difference is the hex head style adjusting valve, earlier had a square head and early '28 had a pointer style. Some of the patent numbers may have also changed but I'm not sure. Functionally, all of the shocks will interchange.

FWIW, my grandfather put on a set of "rebuilt" shocks that I later found were junk that got passed off as rebuilt. I took them off and noticed no difference in the ride, my springs have enough rust in the leaves to be self-damped, rides nice :D

Thanks guys.

Ken's shock kit for rear only is $180.00 including shipping.

I know the two Stipe shocks will be $500 BUT tell me what else I need and where to buy it AND are these parts exactly correct for a late 31 if we're talking new parts from the suppliers. Are original late 31 parts hard to find?

ryanheacox 03-13-2020 01:36 PM

You'll need the arms and links. Brattons sells the last style rear shock arm and I believe A&L makes the shock links so I'm sure they are high quality. I don't think they changed at all except for early in 1928. Original parts probably aren't all that hard to find as long as you have the standards to figure out what is late '31.

Clem Clement 03-13-2020 02:22 PM

Check the judging guide for shock info. E-v 8 shocks are of different design and mounting

Bill Cilker 03-13-2020 03:08 PM

M2M
There are several unique features of some 1931 shocks by manufacturer. You really need to read the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards Area 23: Shocks and Shackles.
A lot of work and research went into the Area. It will answer all of your questions.
There are really no "Late 31" only shocks, arms or links.
I assume that the shock balls are still on your rear axle.

M2M 03-13-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1861677)
You'll need the arms and links. Brattons sells the last style rear shock arm and I believe A&L makes the shock links so I'm sure they are high quality. I don't think they changed at all except for early in 1928. Original parts probably aren't all that hard to find as long as you have the standards to figure out what is late '31.

Thanks. Here are the arms Bratton's have:
https://www.brattons.com/rear-shock-arm.html

All up, I guess I'm looking at around $650 for two rear shocks, arms, links, etc.

To Ken Davis or not to Ken Davis, that is the question...

CC-Mo 03-13-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.6rs (Post 1861165)
Not original, but good (and cheap).

That looks like a simple and effective fix.

Kevin in NJ 03-14-2020 07:35 AM

Have you tested that your front shocks even work properly?

I was taught with a regular arm on it the shock should take a lot of effort to move the full range and less in the other direction.

A few years ago I was given enough details to make something close to the KRW tester. It was supposed to take like 15 seconds for the weight to fall a certain number of degrees. Well the shocks I thought were good only took a few seconds to fall.

Kind of sent me back to the drawing board.

If you have good springs on the car then it should not be drivable over 30 MPH without shocks. The car will feel it is about to fly off the road, really uncomfortable. This was after tearing down a decent used set of springs and lubing them. This was based on my experiences with a couple of cars.

As soon as I put a set of my old definition of working shocks on the front of my 30 fordor the car would run 60 comfortably.

It is rare that I see what I consider good front springs at my local shows. They are usually showing rust and all sitting too low. Then again all these people think 45 is the top speed of their cars too.

Dick M 03-14-2020 12:40 PM

Call John Holland at 330-483-3896 if you are still looking for originals. He is an excellent Model A Shock re-builder. His prices are very reasonable. Perhaps he has some late 31 shocks he could sell you. He rebuilt my A shocks about 9 years ago. They continue to be on my coupe without any issues.

M2M 03-14-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ (Post 1861893)
Have you tested that your front shocks even work properly?

I was taught with a regular arm on it the shock should take a lot of effort to move the full range and less in the other direction.

A few years ago I was given enough details to make something close to the KRW tester. It was supposed to take like 15 seconds for the weight to fall a certain number of degrees. Well the shocks I thought were good only took a few seconds to fall.

Kind of sent me back to the drawing board.

If you have good springs on the car then it should not be drivable over 30 MPH without shocks. The car will feel it is about to fly off the road, really uncomfortable. This was after tearing down a decent used set of springs and lubing them. This was based on my experiences with a couple of cars.

As soon as I put a set of my old definition of working shocks on the front of my 30 fordor the car would run 60 comfortably.

It is rare that I see what I consider good front springs at my local shows. They are usually showing rust and all sitting too low. Then again all these people think 45 is the top speed of their cars too.

No, I haven't got as far as the front shocks. Both the springs are not lubed so the car is not bouncy even at 50mph despite no rear shocks but the hide is harsh.

M2M 03-15-2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick M (Post 1862005)
Call John Holland at 330-483-3896 if you are still looking for originals. He is an excellent Model A Shock re-builder. His prices are very reasonable. Perhaps he has some late 31 shocks he could sell you. He rebuilt my A shocks about 9 years ago. The continue to be on my coupe without any issues.

Okay, thanks.

Synchro909 03-15-2020 01:46 AM

I've found the telescopic shocks to be too stiff. They give a hard ride.