The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1955 ford fairlane town sedan radiator issue. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304062)

casper_wcx13 09-20-2021 12:36 AM

1955 ford fairlane town sedan radiator issue.

I ordered a 3 row aluminum radiator and noticed it has ports for transmission cooler lines but the current stock radiator does not have them. Is this normal? The town sedan is an automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOWRIDER 09-20-2021 05:15 AM

Re: 1955 ford fairlane town sedan radiator issue.

You have an early air cooled transmission. Look for an air scoop on the right lower side of the transmission near the convertor housing.

darrell 09-20-2021 06:18 AM

this rad can be used on both.

casper_wcx13 09-20-2021 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWRIDER (Post 2058316)
You have an early air cooled transmission. Look for an air scoop on the right lower side of the transmission near the convertor housing.

Thanks ill check it out once the sun comes up. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delco1946 09-20-2021 09:52 AM

I recently went through this experience. I ended up getting mine recored as I read somewhere that you run the risk of rust/corrosion with this new style of radiator if you don't use the bottom portion. The thinking was that the temperature differential between the used upper portion and the unused (at least on our air cooled trannys) can cause moisture to form in the bottom reservoir, that when unused just "sits" there potentially leading to corrosion.

It's prolly not a big concern, but I didn't want to go down that road.

dmsfrr 09-20-2021 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWRIDER (Post 2058316)

casper_wcx13,
It should look a lot like this one...

KULTULZ 09-20-2021 07:11 PM

Use brass block-off hardware to seal the RAD TRANS COOLER.

You don't want road dirt going in there.

Daves55Sedan 09-20-2021 08:09 PM

Some years ago, I ordered a new radiator from Concours Parts. At that time, they offered the radiator with the transmission cooler or without.
1956 was the last year for the air-cooled converter on V8 cars. So '54/55/56 Ford V8 cars do not need the transmission cooler in the bottom radiator tank.
Another thing you gotta watch out for is the side mounting brackets. the V8 radiators have "recessed" side mount brackets. The 6-cyl cars have extended side mount brackets. You must select the proper configuration for your vehicle.
These same radiators were used in the F100 trucks but they had a different set of radiator mounting brackets. Concours sells the truck radiators too but they are listed in a separate catalog, however, they're probably physically sitting right next to the car radiators in the warehouse.
I'm almost positive they sent me a truck radiator and they sent one with the trans cooler to boot. I went back and checked my order and verified that I DID order the right radiator. They just shipped the wrong one.
I recommend NOT ordering the radiator with the trans cooler as it could cause trouble down the road from condensation and rust through.
My episode with Concours led me to BOYCOTT them ever after.

cokefirst 09-23-2021 12:18 AM

Actually, 1956 was a transition year, the late 1956 Thunderbirds had the cooler lines, and the early ones did not. The 56 F100 had a complicated cooler that did not use the bottom of the radiator yet had a fitting that went into the radiator hoses. You can see it in the parts book. I am not sure if the late passenger cars had the water cooled transmission in late 1956 but I suspect that they do.

KULTULZ 09-23-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

The thinking was that the temperature differential between the used upper portion and the unused (at least on our air cooled trannys) can cause moisture to form in the bottom reservoir, that when unused just "sits" there potentially leading to corrosion.

It's prolly not a big concern, but I didn't want to go down that road.
You are correct. Temp changes will cause air-flow and condensation. Usually, they used to come with fittings to block the cooler off if sold as a multi-use.