The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   muffler or mufflers (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260037)

burnette 03-05-2019 07:07 AM

muffler or mufflers

i have a single exhaust i patch together with a glasspack. i will need a inspection on my truck to get it register. i,m pretty sure the glass pack is illegal. i was thinking of installing 1 muffler or would it breath better with 2. and what kind of muffler would work good. napa or carquest are easly available for me.

chap52 03-05-2019 07:21 AM

Re: muffler or mufflers

Add your location to your info. Every state is different. Some states, like Arizona do not require inspection of older vehicles.
I would take it in as is and see what they say. May save you some expense by being acceptable. Chap

51 MERC-CT 03-05-2019 07:22 AM

Install whatever muffler will get it thru inspection now. Do whatever suits you after inspection.

Joe Immler 03-05-2019 07:27 AM

I have a '41 Ford that has duals and glass packs. It has been inspected and registered in California, New Hampshire and Ohio. No problem at all. As chap52 says,tell us your state.

Juergen 03-05-2019 09:00 AM

As to your question of 1 muffler versus 2, remember your engine displacement is not much bigger than the smallest modern engines and the revs are a lot smaller. So your airflow is less than most vehicles (along with a lot smaller exhaust/tail pipes). Duals are an overkill for stock flatheads when using modern car mufflers.

Kube 03-05-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen (Post 1733176)
As to your question of 1 muffler versus 2, remember your engine displacement is not much bigger than the smallest modern engines and the revs are a lot smaller. So your airflow is less than most vehicles (along with a lot smaller exhaust/tail pipes). Duals are an overkill for stock flatheads when using modern car mufflers.

Juergen, Perfectly stated and accurate.

Duals on a stock flathead are for appearance only.

corvette8n 03-05-2019 09:59 AM

Headers and duels make very sweet music when standing in the rear of the vehicle, nothing like that flathead sound. Previous 80yo owner did all that to my car before I bought it.

Kurt in NJ 03-05-2019 12:01 PM

When I converted the 46 truck to duals I had a new mustang 302 muffler for single exhaust, had problems overheating on that bank --- the muffler was too restricted for the one bank of the flathead--- this was a big truck that was running with full load--- well overloaded, put another stock muffler on and all was fine

Tim Ayers 03-05-2019 12:06 PM

Curious as to why a glass pack is illegal.

40cpe 03-05-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1733232)
Curious as to why a glass pack is illegal.

My guess would be noise emissions.

petehoovie 03-05-2019 02:00 PM

Have it inspected as is and then fix what fails in the inspection. Who knows, you might get lucky....

Zeke3 03-05-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1733276)
Have it inspected as is and then fix what fails in the inspection. Who knows, you might get lucky....

Yeah, the inspector might be a Harley owner.

Tim Ayers 03-05-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40cpe (Post 1733269)
My guess would be noise emissions.

Maybe. I would be surprised by this; especially hearing how some new performance cars sound from the factory.

flatford8 03-05-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1733284)
Maybe. I would be surprised by this; especially hearing how some new performance cars sound from the factory.

I think “from the factory”...is the key here. Some inspection stations in Maine get reluctant to sticker a vehicle with modifications to stock exhaust. With an antique plate, you don’t get a sticker but loud exhaust could get you pulled over anyway.......Mark

RalphG 03-05-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corvette8n (Post 1733190)
Headers and duels make very sweet music when standing in the rear of the vehicle, nothing like that flathead sound. Previous 80yo owner did all that to my car before I bought it.

Agreed. It might not add a single horsepower but the sound is worth it all. The only thing better than the straight pipe on my Merc would be two straight pipes. Maybe one day.

3Dueces 03-05-2019 08:35 PM

You don't need no stink'een mufflers ...

paul2748 03-05-2019 08:51 PM

Here in NJ, I don't think the police even think about loud mufflers anymore. Unless you are stopped for something else.

RalphG 03-05-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul2748 (Post 1733406)
Here in NJ, I don't think the police even think about loud mufflers anymore. Unless you are stopped for something else.

They don't seem to bother the guys running straight pipes on their Cummins diesel powered Dodge pickups here so I guess they don't notice my 255 flathead single straight pipe. Unless you do something to draw the attention of the law I don't see where a slightly louder than stock exhaust should be a problem. I run dual glass packs on two of my newer V8s and have never drawn any unwanted attention from the law.

tubman 03-06-2019 06:13 AM

I think the reason that the cops don't care about loud exhaust anymore is because they drive around in their air conditioned cruisers all day and can't hear them. I'm amazed that, even on the nicest weather, the windows are still rolled up and they're "cocooned" in their squads.

burnette 03-06-2019 06:58 AM

thanks for all your answers. i,m in canada,and glass pack are illegal because of noise i think. once i get it inspected i will probably tune it better. i was looking for a cheap muffler so i don,t get any problems. inspection shops are about 40 miles away and i will need a tow truck to get there. my truck was last register in 1960. i,m trying to make only one trip.