The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   5 main blocks (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222632)

Tod 06-13-2017 03:17 PM

5 main blocks

I am ready to cast some 5 main blocks with designed cores specifically for them. The core shop requires a minimum of 7 sets, so I need a few people interested to let me know if they are ready for one. I probably have a couple of people already but need to know for sure.

Tod

Crazydaddyo 06-13-2017 05:18 PM

Re: 5 main blocks

I want one, maybe 2. need details and cost. I sent a PM through facebook.

waxhead 06-13-2017 06:32 PM

Aluminium or iron??

Chris Haynes 06-13-2017 08:14 PM

What crank fits them? Pressure oil? Will the outside pass for OEM? And most of all, price.
TIA,
Chris

daveymc29 06-13-2017 11:15 PM

If someone like AER is building a long block from your casting I can find a customer tomorrow for a finished product. I'm not trying to change the subject here, just saying I can get a customer for the finished product. Of course the rest is in your hands. Thanks for a response if that is available. I'm sure if the long block is $6K or less he'll be in. (As would many others.) JMHO

Tod 06-14-2017 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waxhead (Post 1485408)
Aluminium or iron??

Iron. I can do aluminum if you want that.

Tod

Tod 06-14-2017 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveymc29 (Post 1485539)
If someone like AER is building a long block from your casting I can find a customer tomorrow for a finished product. I'm not trying to change the subject here, just saying I can get a customer for the finished product. Of course the rest is in your hands. Thanks for a response if that is available. I'm sure if the long block is $6K or less he'll be in. (As would many others.) JMHO

If you can sell long blocks I can get you pricing on those.

Tod

Tod 06-14-2017 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1485474)
What crank fits them? Pressure oil? Will the outside pass for OEM? And most of all, price.
TIA,
Chris

WE will have to get with Scat for cranks. Full pressure oil. There is a block running on YouTube. Have a look. The 5 main block will be in the low-to-mid 2k range.

Tod

Ray64 06-14-2017 08:36 AM

Tod what is the LINK for the running block

daveymc29 06-14-2017 09:21 AM

I'm not a vendor, just have a friend whose engine scattered and today will see what he intends to do. We're both in our 80's so not doing our own work, He seemed to like the idea of a "New" block last night If you already have a price on the long block fine, but don't waste any time on me if you don't. It will only be one at this point,

hardtimes 06-14-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tod (Post 1485324)
I am ready to cast some 5 main blocks with designed cores specifically for them. The core shop requires a minimum of 7 sets, so I need a few people interested to let me know if they are ready for one. I probably have a couple of people already but need to know for sure.

Tod

Hey Tod,
As you are aware, from day one, I have indicated that I will take/buy the first 5x5 (cam bearing/crank bearing) iron block. Nothing has changed in my position.

We also have discussed the OHV specific block, which would enable you to enlarge cooling capacity of block. Maybe this is too far off regular production block now ?

Thanks for your progress on this project for us :) !

A bit off block topic, is the OHV head going to be ready for use on the 5x5 block ?

Tod 06-14-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 1485692)
Hey Tod,
As you are aware, from day one, I have indicated that I will take/buy the first 5x5 (cam bearing/crank bearing) iron block. Nothing has changed in my position.

We also have discussed the OHV specific block, which would enable you to enlarge cooling capacity of block. Maybe this is too far off regular production block now ?

Thanks for your progress on this project for us :) !

A bit off block topic, is the OHV head going to be ready for use on the 5x5 block ?

Rick,

I did not count you out. The OHV core models are at the core shop. It is moving ahead. I was working on tools for the aluminum block of yours today. Things are moving, even if slowly.

Tod

Tod 06-14-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveymc29 (Post 1485648)
I'm not a vendor, just have a friend whose engine scattered and today will see what he intends to do. We're both in our 80's so not doing our own work, He seemed to like the idea of a "New" block last night If you already have a price on the long block fine, but don't waste any time on me if you don't. It will only be one at this point,

Prus Jr. and Sr. are about 8-9 miles from my shop. Either could build you one.

Tod

Tod 06-14-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray64 (Post 1485623)
Tod what is the LINK for the running block

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhVs...ature=youtu.be

Tod

AL in NY 06-14-2017 06:27 PM

What main bearing set is the block machined for? Any idea the cost of the SCAT crank?

Tod 06-14-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL in NY (Post 1485841)
What main bearing set is the block machined for? Any idea the cost of the SCAT crank?

We are working on getting pricing. Whoever finish machines the blocks will put in the bearings.

Tod

Crazydaddyo 06-15-2017 01:12 AM

With the Model B spacing on the main bolts, the best bearings to use are SB Chevy rod bearings. They are 2.125" dia.

hardtimes 06-15-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazydaddyo (Post 1485968)
With the Model B spacing on the main bolts, the best bearings to use are SB Chevy rod bearings. They are 2.125" dia.

Hey Dan,
Good suggestion !
I believe that Donavan alum four cyl blocks make use of these rod bearings as well as other readily available chev parts. Donavan also had his 5 main cranks made by a well known crank maker. I believe that those would also / could also be used in the Tod 5 main block, and they already have the specs/drawings on file.

Tod 06-15-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL in NY (Post 1485841)

I was told Scat cranks will be about $2700.

Tod

Tod 06-15-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 1486084)
Hey Dan,
Good suggestion !
I believe that Donavan alum four cyl blocks make use of these rod bearings as well as other readily available chev parts. Donavan also had his 5 main cranks made by a well known crank maker. I believe that those would also / could also be used in the Tod 5 main block, and they already have the specs/drawings on file.

I was talking with a guy today about maybe making a cast 5 main crank. His opinion is that, given the low horsepower of these engines, a cast crank would work just fine. He is a builder.

An advantage to me making my own 5 main crank is that it can also be used in the 3 main applications. Be nice to make a very affordable crank.

Tod