The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chasing a chirp (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311634)

BTERRY29 03-30-2022 11:32 AM

Chasing a chirp

I just installed my engine and am chasing a chirp / squeak. It sounds like the belt or a fan rubbing on the water pump, but when I remove the belt temporarily the sound remains. It was not there after first start and idle. I went for two drives. The first maybe a mile and no sound. after a 3 mile drive it appeared. Any recommendations?

thank you.

Dean Lemoine 03-30-2022 01:19 PM

Re: Chasing a chirp

Did you oil the distributor shaft/bushings?

Bill G 03-30-2022 01:38 PM

Any little squeak, chirp or rattle drives me nuts. I, in turn, drive my wife nuts chasing them down.

Ed in Maine 03-30-2022 01:41 PM

I had a squeak/chirp sound in my Victoria. Took me forever to find it. It turned out to be one of the hood hooks. They are spring loaded with metal to metal contact, difficult to grease up without making a mess and need attention fairly often. Another thing to take a look at if it is loose like mine, is the crank hole cover. Mine has a habit of fluttering in the wind and making noise. Good luck finding the irritating noise. Ed

Ed in Maine 03-30-2022 01:45 PM

I just remembered another squeak sound. It was coming from the door stop arms, rubbing the inside of the cowl panel. They needed a rubber bumper on the end to stop it. Ed

Big hammer 03-30-2022 01:50 PM

Hood rods tight? I was checking for a chirp after a nice drive, i had turned the gas valve off and then I heard the robin chirping after the car quit.

BTERRY29 03-30-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Lemoine (Post 2117444)
Did you oil the distributor shaft/bushings?

i did on the little guy you pull out from the side, but i will add a couple more drops along with the top of the upper shaft. i did overlook that one. thx

wilfbrad 03-30-2022 03:39 PM

Try some fan belt dressing

wilfbrad 03-30-2022 03:52 PM

Sorry I see you removed the fan belt ,forget my last post.
A leak in a spark plug can chirp or a leak in a manifold!

GRutter 03-30-2022 05:06 PM

New engine - could be the packing around the crank pulley. It will quiet down. Did you soak that front seal in oil when you installed it ?

BTERRY29 03-30-2022 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRutter (Post 2117517)
New engine - could be the packing around the crank pulley. It will quiet down. Did you soak that front seal in oil when you installed it ?

this is actually the second time the engine has been apart, rope seals re-used as less than 400 miles on them. they did not squeak before. great idea though. keep um coming.

thx

Y-Blockhead 03-30-2022 05:14 PM

When I installed my engine a couple of years ago I had a squeak around the front of the engine. Sounds strange but I finally found it by tightening the front engine mount where it goes thru the front crossmember. Tightened the castle nut ~1 turn and it cured it.

wwirz 03-30-2022 05:17 PM

Vacuum leak?

BTERRY29 03-30-2022 05:46 PM

thanks Y-Blockhead and wwirz, i will add both to my troubleshooting list

Dale G. 03-30-2022 06:19 PM

A chirping sound like a bird is usually the generator when the bearings start to get dry or the fan belt is a little too tight. With the fan belt off, reach down and turn the pulley around both ways. You may hear it chirp just a little. With the fan belt on, spray some belt dressing on the belt while the engine is running. The chirp will go away as suggested above. You should always have at least 1 1/2 inches of play while pushing in on the belt, while engine is not running. If tight, you will wear out that front bearing in no time if you are a driver.

Y-Blockhead 03-30-2022 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale G. (Post 2117533)
A chirping sound like a bird is usually the generator when the bearings start to get dry or the fan belt is a little too tight. With the fan belt off, reach down and turn the pulley around both ways. You may hear it chirp just a little. With the fan belt on, spray some belt dressing on the belt while the engine is running. The chirp will go away as suggested above. You should always have at least 1 1/2 inches of play while pushing in on the belt, while engine is not running. If tight, you will wear out that front bearing in no time if you are a driver.

I was thinking the same but he said he had the belt off.

w.michael 03-30-2022 11:40 PM

Try tightening the carburetor to intake manifold bolts. A leak there can make a chirping sound. If your carburetor surface is not flat, you may need a new, soft gasket and some sealer.

W. Michael

Dan Partain 03-31-2022 12:18 AM

I chased a chirp for a couple of days. Does it sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2eaVQhZKBM

It was something on the stock front motor mount. It disappeared after getting a little lube.

katy 03-31-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Partain (Post 2117615)
I chased a chirp for a couple of days. Does it sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2eaVQhZKBM

It was something on the stock front motor mount. It disappeared after getting a little lube.

Ditto

BillCNC 03-31-2022 11:35 AM

I have a few that I'm currently chasing. One that drove me bat-crap crazy for a long time ended up being the rattling of the E-brake components in the E-brake hand lever. I put the rubber E-brake boot from the suppliers and it shut that noise up.

Another one is the armor cable rattling around in the gas tank tunnel. Door panels and windows are also well known noise makers.

Regards
Bill