The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ID motor, think A (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288254)

Rodrelic 10-05-2020 07:44 PM

ID motor, think A

1 Attachment(s)
Sale I went to, plan on going back and think this is A motor but maybe B?
Power unit with hand clutch & pulley but imagine can use for car.
Debate if I want to invest

GRutter 10-05-2020 08:35 PM

Re: ID motor, think A

Yes, A motor with governor
Is there a serial number ?

Joe K 10-05-2020 08:42 PM

Marvel-Schebler Carb. Model A distributor. Kingston Governor. May be an escapee from a gleaner - but the exhaust is Model A.

It may be a "diamond block." I see evidence of the diamond, but the mark is uncertain/block is dirty. If so lends more credence to original "industrial use."

Joe K

McMimmcs 10-05-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe K (Post 1938577)
Marvel-Schebler Carb. Model A distributor. Kingston Governor. May be an escapee from a gleaner - but the exhaust is Model A.

It may be a "diamond block." I see evidence of the diamond, but the mark is uncertain/block is dirty. If so lends more credence to original "industrial use."

Joe K

Pay attention to this guy. He knows of what he speaks ! Wayne

Synchro909 10-05-2020 09:44 PM

I agree - Diamond A block. When buying an engine like that, one is buying a pig in a poke but that, IMO, is a likely candidate for a rebuild. If you're really lucky, it might take a clean up and go. I have a Diamond A block and the crank journals have never been ground. These motors were used only a few times a year (harvest, for example) and weren't worn out before the machine was superseded.

big job 10-06-2020 09:16 AM

If you do buy is save that governor maybe worth more than the engine.

JKY 10-06-2020 11:34 AM

It's an A. The B didn't have an external oil return line (at least mine doesn't).

Joe K 10-06-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

If you do buy is save that governor maybe worth more than the engine
Ebay any day of the week, or year can bring you a governor for $89 plus shipping. (Mebbe a hundred all together) There are better deals in both Pierce and Kingston governors both on and off Ebay.

I paid $20 for a Pierce at a flea market - and $60 for all the unloader components (which I really wanted AND a Pierce governor.)

The diamond blocks have been both touted as better quality, and panned on the reverse account. Perhaps their best recommendation is that they are a "survivor" for the reasons given - and previously a cheap not so worn out replacement engine?

My last Model A block I paid $40. The ask price was $50 - but I had to take a big block V8 carcass with it. I negotiated it down to $40 as the V8 had no value to me, and the owner had no other inquiries in a couple of weeks on Craigslist. I have four other engine blocks - all worn out - but can you ever have too many Model A parts?

So indeed, given marketing and the fact that vastly more Model A shortblocks are around compared to governors, the statement on pricing is probably true.

Joe K

Ruth 10-06-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe K (Post 1938577)
Marvel-Schebler Carb.

Joe K

Haha, First thing I noticed was the Marvel Schebler Carb and the brass top (3X??) spark plugs.

Rodrelic 10-22-2020 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Close-up wouldn’t load, but can read A45 499 53
Hand clutch stuck, found a crank & it turned easily considering
Temptation to check for spark & oil, twist the tail see what happens