The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Starter price (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331385)

CharlesL 09-26-2023 07:12 PM

Starter price

I have new rebuilt starter for sale. It was rebuilt locally in Coopersville Mich.
What would be a fair asking price? Model A starter.

31a 09-26-2023 09:27 PM

Re: Starter price

I would suggest you look in a vendor catalogue to get an idea of what they are selling for. Or check on their web site good luck.

ronn 09-27-2023 05:35 AM

100-150

Big hammer 09-27-2023 06:26 AM

I was thinking 125, right in the middle Ronn !

Marshall V. Daut 09-27-2023 08:00 AM

There is "rebuilt" and there is "rebuilt". One man's idea of a "rebuilt" starter is to put in new brushes and paint the case black. The next level might be to clean and sand the armature plates and the commutator, and perhaps reseal the windings with Glyptal. Then installing a "rebuilt" armature and field coils would put the starter up to the next level, whatever a "rebuilt" armature means. Finally, the best "rebuilt" would be with a new armature, field coils and brushes. Add up the cost those three items alone (assuming the terminal post and wires are o.k.) and see how much a TRULY rebuilt starter might cost. And then add labor to that. It adds up quickly if a quality rebuild is desired.
If I were interested in buying your starter, I'd want to know what was done to it: freshened up or truly rebuilt? There would be a significant difference in dollars in the selling price. Ask the shop that rebuilt your starter just exactly what was done to it and what parts were installed. That will give you a better idea of its true value so that you can ask a fair price that will satisfy you and the buyer.
Marshall

ronn 09-27-2023 11:39 AM

MARSHALL- 90% OF THE BUYERS OUT THERE ARENT PAYING A DIME OVER 150.

THOUGH I understand where youre coming from. sorry bout the caps..........

Kurt in NJ 09-27-2023 01:45 PM

so for the last 3 years I had a rebuilt starter on the table at Hershey priced at 45$
new bushings, brushes, armature turned, windings resoldered to commutator, field coils reinsulated, tested for torque and amperage—- no buyers

ndnchf 09-27-2023 07:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't do much starter work, but I do rebuild old generators. Most people have no idea how time consuming it can be. I often spend 10 hours or more on a generator. Tear down, cleaning, inspection, making new wiring, new insulators. If not replaced, rewiring and rewrapping field coils. Testing the armature for open, shorts and grounds. Truing the commutator. Undercutting the mica, resealing the windings, new bearings on and on. I do it because I enjoy the challenge, not to make money. Being thorough is not profitable. I build them to help out local guys and occasionally sell one.

Drifted off topic - sorry. What's your starter worth - as Marshall said, it all depends on what was done to it.

Just for show n tell. Here is a flathead V8 generator I finished last week. It was pretty rough to start.

ronn 09-29-2023 03:36 PM

well Kurt, youve made a valid point. cant give it away!

Kurt in NJ 09-29-2023 05:03 PM

I’m going to try again— with a new price 125$
perhaps a higher price will give it more value

Model "A" Fords 10-01-2023 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 2259038)
I’m going to try again— with a new price 125$
perhaps a higher price will give it more value

I have seen this method done for a car some years ago. The price was $2,500.00 with no interest for months. When it was put up to $10,000.00 just for fun, it sold in a few days for full price. This didn't make much sense, but as the guy selling it said, I don't care if it made sense, I made money!