The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bubbles In Grease Gun (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172058)

marc hildebrant 06-26-2015 10:03 PM

Bubbles In Grease Gun

Group,

After installing a new grease cartridge in my lever grease gun, I had no grease coming out due to air pockets in the cartridge. I put the cartridge in and then removed it a number of times and after awhile, the gun started to work O.K.

Is there a good way to avoid the air pockets ?

Marc

J Franklin 06-26-2015 10:15 PM

Re: Bubbles In Grease Gun

Shorting a tube of grease, how low will a corporation stoop?!

Afordman31 06-26-2015 10:42 PM

I usually unscrew the top end of the gun a small amount (if you unscrew it to much you will have all the grease emptying out of the gun) then pump the gun until resistance is felt, then tighten the gun back up. Always worked for me. Afordman31

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-26-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1110230)
Shorting a tube of grease, how low will a corporation stoop?!

The Grease Co, STOOPED, low enough to "GREASE HIM"--lol:D
Bill W.

C26Pinelake 06-26-2015 11:26 PM

Take the cartridge back and request a replacement. 5 dollars is not worth losing sleep over ! Wayne

Rowdy 06-26-2015 11:28 PM

The grease guns at work and the ones I use at home have a plunger style bleeder on top. Not unusual at all to have to bleed off some trapped air from the top of the tube to the inside of the grease gun top. Rod

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-27-2015 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc hildebrant (Post 1110226)
Group,

After installing a new grease cartridge in my lever grease gun, I had no grease coming out due to air pockets in the cartridge. I put the cartridge in and then removed it a number of times and after awhile, the gun started to work O.K.

Is there a good way to avoid the air pockets ?

Marc

Morning, Marc,
"Maybe" it had been stored, laying on it's side, for a LOOONG time?? "Maybe" if it wuz stored, sitting upright, it wouldn't make air pockets???
Lots of "maybes" here, up too early & waitin' fer my COFFEE & ANTI-PAIN PILL to kick in.
Wishing you a GREAT day, Marc.
Bill W.

Mitch//pa 06-27-2015 06:41 AM

its nothing wrong with the grease cartridge or being shorted of grease. air gets caught up in the top... a common occurrence when changing cartridges... sometimes it takes bleeding out the air more than once..
rowdy and afordman31 are correct

marc hildebrant 06-27-2015 08:28 AM

I have them stored up with the end that goes into the top of the gun...the part with the pull tab.

I use the red type that Tom W recommends. Once the grease is flowing, it's O.K. but it took awhile to get working and having lots of grease on the rag and hands wasn't fun.

Marc

Mitch//pa 06-27-2015 09:13 AM

just try cracking the lid loose and then pump it...

katy 06-27-2015 09:41 AM

Remove the hose or pipe from the GG, then pump it till all the air is out and grease is coming out, re-install the hose or pipe and you're good to go.

Kurt in NJ 06-27-2015 11:09 AM

Most grease guns you can pull out the handle and lock it with a twist to the piston to give it a push to help push out air ---this along with unscrewing the barrel some ---and some pumping will work out air pockets

Tom Wesenberg 06-27-2015 10:30 PM

I always unscrew the top a couple of threads until the grease starts to come out, then tighten it. Sometimes pulling and pushing the plunger handle a few times helps to grease to pump.