The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   gas (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290737)

bobsmanstuff 11-26-2020 07:01 AM

gas

Happy Thanksgiving Guys. I've got a question about something I wondered for awhile. I have a 53 customline with aluminum heads. Is it better to run non- oxy gas or regular? Thanks Bob

corvette8n 11-26-2020 08:05 AM

Re: gas

I run non ethanol gas in mine, only problem in my area it’s only available in high octane(premium). Hope that answers your question.

joe 1950 11-26-2020 09:54 AM

Do yourself a favor and don’t use any fuel with ethanol it isn’t good for anything in the fuel system hoses ,carb,pump where i live in wisconsin we have a Fleet Farm store that has a mid grade 89 octane with no ethanol it’s @ 70 cents a gallon more but but worth it

19Fordy 11-26-2020 10:18 AM

Is there an additive you could add with each tankful that would negate the bad
effects of ethanol gas?

Jacques1960 11-26-2020 10:43 AM

Hard to neutralize corn syrup.

Charlie ny 11-26-2020 11:07 AM

Hmmm, 87 oct corn gas seems to work OK for me.
Charlie ny

tubman 11-26-2020 11:16 AM

I've never had a problem with "corn gas" either, but that's probably because I only use it as a last resort. I notice the O/P is from Minnesota. No alcohol premium is very common in this state, because of the marine connection (the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" you know) and the efforts of the Minnesota Street Rod Association. In my opinion, it's worth the extra cost.

I think Charlie has a built in advantage over the rest of us.:D

estout81 11-26-2020 11:39 AM

I use "corn gas" in my engines. Flatheads, overheads, old farm tractors and lawn mowers with no ill effects. Shut most of them off in November and start them in March. No additives used! "Corn gas" has been around sense, at least, the early '30s.

50fordcoupeman 11-26-2020 01:04 PM

I use non-ethanol in everything I own that has a carburetor.

hotrodart 11-26-2020 04:08 PM

Maybe the ethanol/gasoline formulations are different across the country.....E10 fuel in my area corrodes aluminum and pot metal parts (carburetors) and creates havoc with "old" rubber formulations. Also, I had to replace a gas tank from rust caused by water separation in the tank. My Honda generator absolutely dislikes E10 fuel over one week old.......sputters and stops......changed to non-E gas and have no issues at all. My tractor and other yard equipment seem to do OK with E10.

flatford8 11-26-2020 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve only had trouble with 2-stroke equipment. Chainsaw, weedwacker and a small rototiller all got new carbs because the aluminum carbs got corroded. Happy that a place about ten miles from me got real gas this fall........Mark

aussie merc 11-26-2020 08:26 PM

this old story again ethanol is good old fashion moonshine nothing wrong with it if your engine is built to run on it thats the hard part its alcohol and must be treated as such all parts must be alcohol proof and no problems NOS parts aren't, alcohol was used as a solvent in their production so using ethanol fuel your basically slowly dissolving the part so take the time spend the dollars and buy alcohol resistant parts or find ethanol free fuel and tune accordingly